Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! xXxDEATHxXx's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I read a few reviews as well and they didn't seem all that impressive. I am by NO means tech savvy but when people use word like underwhelming and dissapointed I can easily understand that lol. The speeds didn't seem much higher

I haven't been able to find much on ryzen except that they got over 60fps running 4k

http://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel-...iew-benchmarks

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Velozzity View Post

That page I listed above was particularly interesting. They say the sample of the 7700k they had used more voltage at 4.5ghz than the skylake equivalent. Also in a few tests temps were through the roof. Honestly the decision to build with Kaby Lake versus Skylake comes down to 2 things at the moment. Do you want to overclock or not, and can you get a steal on a 6700k. If you are fine with overclocking, and can get the 6700k at a decent price lower than the 7700k, then It might be worth it to buy the last years version considering the above review stated...
    Well JayzTwoCents is running stable 5 Ghz with i7 7700k. Watch this video. I'm curious to see the next one where he will be doing a proper overclocking video. So, I guess the site you posted did something wrong or used some sort of rumoured info.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As for performance IPC take a look at PaulsHardware Benchmark video. Clearly i7 7700k wins by 6%

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

In terms of temperatures, according to this video, it seems that it really matters what board you have. What's more, he OC it to 5.1 Ghz

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

And this video confirms that it really matters on board and memory you use. Running 5.1 Ghz on some boards and getting 77C on average is impressive.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    And this video confirms that it really matters on board and memory you use. Running 5.1 Ghz on some boards and getting 77C on average is impressive.

Also, it clearly shows that in PC Mark 7 and PC Mark 8 the i7 7700k even beats i7 6950X OC. So, it is a monster!!!
    As per the reviewer, in gaming there might not be a huge difference but when it comes to production then i7 7700k is an absolute beast.

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The new Z270 motherboards offer up a lot more features and a lot more IO connections (Some to be released) These Kaby Lake processors do a hell of a great job when overclocking.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Velozzity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well JayzTwoCents is running stable 5 Ghz with i7 7700k. Watch this video. I'm curious to see the next one where he will be doing a proper overclocking video. So, I guess the site you posted did something wrong or used some sort of rumoured info.
    Do you even read any of the posts I put up or just pull something out of a hat and assume its truth. Read all of the methodology that review states. Also of course its 6% stronger, I mean hell I can do basic math. The turbo speed on the 7700k is 4.5ghz, IIRC. The turbo on the 6700k is 4.2ghz. What does that give us, (4.5/4.2) = 1.07...meaning the 7700k runs at a clock speed 7% faster with all cores stressed than the 6700k. Of course it should be 6% stronger, but according to all of these articles.

on tomshardware.com they tested this as such

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...00,4870-3.html this is the testing setup, they have a dual fan AIO

see there comments here? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...00,4870-8.html .... With the Tcore reaching up to 85°C, we’re still in the clear. But that's not a good sign for the thermal headroom available when we want to start overclocking. meaning they didn't even overclock and it hit 85c on a stress test. I mean heck read the rest of it they lay it out well.

Don't like this review, think they are a bunch of amateurs?

Then on Guru3d.com they come to similar conclusions to what I listed earlier, maybe I'll put the entire part so you can read it all

The performance increases you see however are not based on improved architecture performance, it's just higher turbos and a few small tweaks. Any Intel Core K model processor you have purchased in the past three years can quite easily be tweaked to the same performance levels. Make no mistake, the Core i7 7700K of course is an excellent quad-core processor that can reach high frequencies if you give it enough cooling. It's just that it is more of the same, incredibly comparable to Skylake even. If you have a Core i7 6700K then just clock the turbo to 4.5 Ghz and boom, you'll have the very same performance at hand as this 7700K. Only if you are in the market for a much desired PC upgrade and a renewed infrastructure (motherboard) does the upgrade make sense.
    on this other site, Techpowerup.com they say as much also...https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...rmance/26.html

Looking at the bigger picture, clock-for-clock, there are close to zero IPC gains between the i7-7700K and the i7-6700K. At 4.50 GHz, both chips showed nearly identical performance with both the GTX 1080 and the RX 480. Comparing the two chips at stock speeds, the i7-7700K is faster by as much as 6%. This is most probably because the chip is clocked just so much higher out of the box (4.20 GHz core with 4.50 GHz Turbo as opposed to 4.00 GHz core with 4.20 GHz Turbo). 4.90 GHz is still a decent 20% OC we achieved compared to the 4.20 GHz core.
    See again, almost Zero IPC (Instructions per clock, look it up if you don't get what it is) gains, meaning its just tweaked to go faster, but if set the same clock isn't really an improvement.

Also at Overclockers.com http://www.overclockers.com/intel-i7...ke-cpu-review/

Below are the results I gathered for the temperatures. Stock temperatures peaked at 65C running at 1.2V in this loop while AIDA64 it hit 61C on the hottest core. I stepped up to 5Ghz 1.4V and things got a bit more toasty. we really hit what many would be considered the limit on these high stress applications like P95 (uses FMA3/AVX), and the AIDA 64 FPU tests temp wise hitting 90C. I still had some headroom while running the regular AIDA 64 test, my preferred stability test. Gaming is several C less than AIDA so we have the reserve still if needed. This particular sample needs a de-lid to push further since there is voltage headroom. I wish they would bring back the solder TIM in the 2600K. It was said some of these can hit 5 GHz on air, however, I’m not sure my sample would qualify for such a feat considering its temperatures under a pretty beefy water cooling loop.
    See it is faster, but runs very hot due to not having solder between the die and the heatspreader. He goes on to say also...

Where to start with this one folks? On one hand, we see what I feel is the face of complacency on the part of Intel with not having any real IPC gains in this refined 14nm+ CPU.
    He later notes that in fact it does offer the current best performance out of box (meaning its clocked faster) and can go higher overclocks than 6700k but still has the overlying problem of heat to deal with.

Also
    rom our perspective here, I don’t really see the point in upgrading to Kaby Lake from Haswell on forward unless you are looking for more connectivity or better overclocking, which many are.
    I'm just quoting reviews..much like you post videos.

Also in Closing... The review you posted didn't appear to test stress tests, he used Cinebench. To test the thermal limits you need stress testing software, while cinebench can be considered somewhat of a stress tester of sorts, it isn't as hard as prime 95 or any of the other testing equipment that the other reviews I posted use. the 7700k is a good cpu but isn't some spectacular feat over the 6700k considering its just a tweaked 6700k built on the same process node and doesn't add any "MUST HAVE" features.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Do you even read any of the posts I put up or just pull something out of a hat and assume its truth.
    I do read your comments. No need to get fuzzy.
    I just posted video's of reputable reviewers and they seem to get different results. While I said that it seems that at this point it really matters what Mobo and BIOS version you use and OC3D clearly showed that in his video and then explained at the end. He even mentioned that one of the boards he was testing he was getting different results while using different BIOS versions.

On the other hand, GamersNexus also ran into same issue, different boards, different temperature results. Better board, less temperature. With tweaks and adjustments he managed to gain low temperatures and also overclock it to 5.1 Ghz.

So, in conclusion it is too early to consider these early benchmarks as an indicator to what Kaby Lake is really capable of.

(Instructions per clock, look it up if you don't get what it is)
    Again, no need to get fuzzy. I know what it is back from Hardware 401 class that I took when I went to College, lol.

In conclusion, if you have i7 6700k already then based on these video's there is no need to get an upgrade to i7 7700k for gaming. However, if you work with video rendering/editing then i7 7700k will just obliterate not only 6700k but also 6950x not to even mention 5820k.
    Last edited by ZED; 01-04-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I do read your comments. No need to get fuzzy.
    I just posted video's of reputable reviewers and they seem to get different results. While I said that it seems that at this point it really matters what Mobo and BIOS version you use and OC3D clearly showed that in his video and then explained at the end. He even mentioned that one of the boards he was testing he was getting different results while using different BIOS versions.

On the other hand, GamersNexus also ran into same issue, different boards, different temperature results. Better board, less temperature. With tweaks and adjustments he managed to gain low temperatures and also overclock it to 5.1 Ghz.

So, in conclusion it is too early to consider these early benchmarks as an indicator to what Kaby Lake is really capable of.

Again, no need to get fuzzy. I know what it is back from Hardware 401 class that I took when I went to College, lol.
    EVERY SINGLE TIME I give an Opinion that I back with sources you digress but with almost zero proof. I will give you props for listing those videos, the 2 I watched seemed more like advertisements for the respective companies than actual full fledged review. But yeah If me replying to you with Quotes and links to websites is fuzzy as you call it, so be it, next time prove me wrong instead of posting a wall of videos and then not expecting a reply.

Wait...Did you mean Fussy...I am not a cat/bear/furry animal that has poofy hair...did you mean Fussy?
    Last edited by Velozzity; 01-04-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

EVERY SINGLE TIME I give an Opinion that I back with sources you digress but with almost zero proof. I will give you props for listing those videos, the 2 I watched seemed more like advertisements for the respective companies than actual full fledged review. But yeah If me replying to you with Quotes and links to websites is fuzzy as you call it, so be it, next time prove me wrong instead of posting a wall of videos and then not expecting a reply.
    First, I do not digress sources you posted and the reason I said fuzzy was specifically on that quote I referred, as it seemed that you got really upset with the info I posted. Moreover, I was just simply pointing out that there are other results. Not to even mention that I said "I'm curious to see more benchmarks and tests" as it seems that at this point they are quite different based on the info you posted and the info that I managed to gather, which btw, is also quite different if you look all video's I posted.

Second, I pointed out that other tests show different results. More importantly that it seems that results really vary based on Motherboard and BIOS versions. So, we might see different results later once manufacturers start releasing BIOS updates.

Third, I posted proof as well.

Fourth, if you don't like watching video's then OC3D also has a full review on his website with stress tests in AIDA64 and many other benchmarking and test tools https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/...k_cpu_review/1

Fifth, same applies to GamersNexus. Full review in written can be found here: http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews...-and-benchmark

Sixth, by no means I was not proving you are wrong. Again, I was just simply pointing out more info with more tests.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

video rendering/editing then i7 7700k will just obliterate not only 6700k but also 6950x not to even mention 5820k.
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...y_lake,10.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...y-lake,11.html

on both of these pages they test what would be considered the De-facto benchmarks for productivity. On almost all of the tests the 5820k and also 6950x beats the 7700k. I believe the 5820k only goes to 3.4ghz all cores stressed. The 7700k goes to 4.5ghz all cores stressed. of course it should perform close considering at STOCK the 5820k has 50% more cores, but the 7700k runs 32% faster. Also you have a few generations of improvements to IPC which even if only 7-10% would account for another 20%, but in no way is the 7700k smoking a 6950x.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...y_lake,10.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages...y-lake,11.html
    Also you have a few generations of improvements to IPC which even if only 7-10% would account for another 20%, but in no way is the 7700k smoking a 6950x.
    Ofcourse it's not smoking in general. Did I say it is smoking it? I only pointed out that it is faster in video rendering.
    Forgot to mention when OC to 5.0 Ghz
    Last edited by ZED; 01-04-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ofcourse it's not smoking in general. Did I say it is smoking it? I only pointed out that it is faster in video rendering.
    Forgot to mention when OC to 5.0 Ghz
    You may ask for source...
    Well, watch OC3D video or read his review. He talks about it between 23:00 - 25:00 in his video.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

God man do you not even read what you post......
    However, if you work with video rendering/editing then i7 7700k will just obliterate not only 6700k but also 6950x not to even mention 5820k.
    You said OBLITERATE...I would qualify that as Smoking it, meaning leave it in the dust. I noticed you also added in 5820k as If I'm hurt, sorry I have my CPU overclocked about 1ghz over stock so I'm pretty sure a 7700k isn't obliterating it at all.

Also I got fuzzy as you want to call it because you said
    So, I guess the site you posted did something wrong or used some sort of rumoured info
    which implies I posted bad information.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As for temperatures. Here is the same source website you posted.
    As you can see, they managed to OC it to 5.0 Ghz and gain 76C maximum on full load.
    So, here it comes to the point, different mobos, different BIOS, different settings can achieve different results. I hope now you understand and see my point when I talked about tomshardware 90C results?
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...y_lake,22.html

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

God man do you not even read what you post...... You said OBLITERATE...I would qualify that as Smoking it, meaning leave it in the dust. I noticed you also added in 5820k as If I'm hurt, sorry I have my CPU overclocked about 1ghz over stock so I'm pretty sure a 7700k isn't obliterating it at all.

Also I got fuzzy as you want to call it because you said which implies I posted bad information.
    OMG, now you are being difficult.
    Yes, I SAID OBLITERATE IN VIDEO RENDERING! I REPEAT " IN VIDEO RENDERING "

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As for temperatures. Here is the same source website you posted.
    As you can see, they managed to OC it to 5.0 Ghz and gain 76C maximum on full load.
    So, here it comes to the point, different mobos, different BIOS, different settings can achieve different results. I hope now you understand and see my point when I talked about tomshardware 90C results?
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...y_lake,22.html
    I'm pretty sure Wprime functions the same as Prime 95 did pre AVX instructions and doesn't heat up a cpu nearly as hot. However the test done at tomshardware most likely stresses the CPU alot more over a longer period of time. If both websites had gotten wildly different temps on the exact same test I would worry, but we are comparing apples to oranges here.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm pretty sure Wprime functions the same as Prime 95 did pre AVX instructions and doesn't heat up a cpu nearly as hot. However the test done at tomshardware most likely stresses the CPU alot more over a longer period of time. If both websites had gotten wildly different temps on the exact same test I would worry, but we are comparing apples to oranges here.
    Well that's why I also pointed out OC3D tests because his methods in stress testing for hardware temperatures are fairly accurate. He leaves the system to run for a long time, in some cases over night. It seems that he got similar results. as guru3d got around 76C mark at 5Ghz and ~1.3V
    Pause OC3D video at 14:20 to see his results.
    This is the reason why I brought up other sources for temperature results and I looked skeptical on TomsHardware results since they got 90C @ 4.5 Ghz. And that is the reason I said "So, I guess the site you posted did something wrong or used some sort of rumoured info."

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

OMG, now you are being difficult.
    Yes, I SAID OBLITERATE IN VIDEO RENDERING! I REPEAT " IN VIDEO RENDERING "
    Lets try this again

What the .... do you think I mean when I said Smoking it, that means to destroy it, obliterate it, beat it badly. Its like when I said it wouldn't destroy it at said function you try to walk your statement back and say it was "faster" in video rendering. I get what you said, I'm just not sure If you understand that Smoking something means the same thing as obliterate. Why Post that crap about Video Rendering in Red as If that was what we were even having the disagreement on.

Look I love talking about tech, but I really hate talking to people who any time they are presented with an alternative view which has EMPIRICAL DATA TO BACK It gets offensive and tries to discredit said DATA without proving why Its wrong. Kaby lake is a small upgrade over skylake mainly due to a bit more overclocking room/stock frequency boost, and a few platform improvements.

Also they use a different freaking test at Tomshardware.com.......I'm beating my head against a wall here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast