Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Don't need more than 60hz! 120 hz would be my maximum if I wanted to pay extra.
    Just throwing money away past 60hz imo.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Ak_Lance's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So I went with a Dell 27" 1440 at 144hz (S2716DGR). Ummmmm dayum! Spent a bit but I'd do it again any day of the week and twice on Sunday! I played both WoW and a couple hours of BF1 with no, as in not even once, issues at max settings with my GTX 1070. Night and day over my old 1080 @ 60hz. Only question I do have is should I run Gsync and if so how do enable it? So glad I pulled the trigger on this monitor. I feel like Jody Foster in Contact "I had no idea"

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Any suggestions on setting I should tweak would also be appreciated.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue AstroCat's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Congrats! Yeah WoW and BF1 are 2 games in particular that should have very little issues staying above 60fps for the most part at 1440fps with the 1070. As long as Gsync is selected under Monitor Technology in the Nvidia Control Panel you should be good to go. Just make sure Vsync is off in-game or in the NCP. If the monitor has a toggle for Gsync of course have that on as well.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_a_goat View Post
    Don't need more than 60hz! 120 hz would be my maximum if I wanted to pay extra.
    Just throwing money away past 60hz imo.
    I would never buy 60hz screen after I tried 144hz. I would not buy 60hz screen even if you paid me.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah same here now, I am totally ruined for anything 60hz and below now lol.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    I would never buy 60hz screen after I tried 144hz. I would not buy 60hz screen even if you paid me.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
    I would never buy more than 120hz after I tried 144hz and 120hz. I doubt I'll ever buy more than 60hz!

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Velozzity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_a_goat View Post
    I would never buy more than 120hz after I tried 144hz and 120hz. I doubt I'll ever buy more than 60hz!
    If the OP buys a monitor which does not have gsync or freesync and his GPU cannot push out enough FPS to stay above the refresh rate he will have screen tearing. the reason you guys with gsync monitors having zero screen tearing even though you can't maintain 144 fps is GSYNC is a variable refresh rate and the maximum it does is 144 hz, it will lower the refresh rate to match the fps your card can push within a certain range, hence the reason it looks sooo smooth (its syncing the frames per second and the refresh rate) even lower than 144hz. It has nothing to do with 144hz being better, (which it is assuming your have the card to push the frames) just Gsync itself making it smoother. If your card can only push 72 frames per second for example, and you have a 144 hz monitor with no Variable sync technology, that means every 2 refresh cycles your monitor does displays the same image more or less, you can only display as much info as the monitor is getting fed. Any time the frame rate is lower than the refresh rate you are going to have screen tearing sans a variable sync monitor, that is the whole reason Gsync or Freesync exist, saying you don't is contrary to the whole reason those technologies exist. This whole argument about buying a high refresh rate monitor with some weak ass video card (not saying a 1070 is weak) is like buying a 4k tv to display VHS. The source material needs to match the Display capabilities or you are not getting the most out of it. In this instance its having the power to push 120/144hz minimal with the eye candy you want or spending more and getting a variable sync display.

Also monitor always look better at their Native resolution, buying a 1440p monitor if you are going to display 1080p most of the time is a bad idea. Resolution scaling in games still displays the image at 1080p, it just uses super sampling to upscale the image then downscale it back down to the native resolution. Setting a 1440p to 1080 doesn't give 1 to 1 pixel mapping like resolution scaling in games does, and will look like someone put mayonnaise on your monitor.
    Last edited by Velozzity; 01-15-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Velozzity View Post
    If the OP buys a monitor which does not have gsync or freesync and his GPU cannot push out enough FPS to stay above the refresh rate he will have screen tearing. the reason you guys with gsync monitors having zero screen tearing even though you can't maintain 144 fps is GSYNC is a variable refresh rate and the maximum it does is 144 hz, it will lower the refresh rate to match the fps your card can push within a certain range, hence the reason it looks sooo smooth (its syncing the frames per second and the refresh rate) even lower than 144hz. It has nothing to do with 144hz being better, (which it is assuming your have the card to push the frames) just Gsync itself making it smoother. If your card can only push 72 frames per second for example, and you have a 144 hz monitor with no Variable sync technology, that means every 2 refresh cycles your monitor does displays the same image more or less, you can only display as much info as the monitor is getting fed. Any time the frame rate is lower than the refresh rate you are going to have screen tearing sans a variable sync monitor, that is the whole reason Gsync or Freesync exist, saying you don't is contrary to the whole reason those technologies exist. This whole argument about buying a high refresh rate monitor with some weak ass video card (not saying a 1070 is weak) is like buying a 4k tv to display VHS. The source material needs to match the Display capabilities or you are not getting the most out of it. In this instance its having the power to push 120/144hz minimal with the eye candy you want or spending more and getting a variable sync display.

Also monitor always look better at their Native resolution, buying a 1440p monitor if you are going to display 1080p most of the time is a bad idea. Resolution scaling in games still displays the image at 1080p, it just uses super sampling to upscale the image then downscale it back down to the native resolution. Setting a 1440p to 1080 doesn't give 1 to 1 pixel mapping like resolution scaling in games does, and will look like someone put mayonnaise on your monitor.
    I don't have GSYNC and as I said in previous posts, you don't need 144 fps to enjoy 144 hz refresh rate. I don't have any screen tearing even if I have 60 fps and the game looks much smoother and much better.
    Moreover, I stated that I use 144 hz even in Windows when I simply do my work. So, according to what you are saying, then my Windows Desktop is running 144 FPS?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

is your work rendering 3d models games etc, or making videos? windows in desktop mode is 2d (and probably could push 1000's of fps) , and won't show screen tearing.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

To prove that I'm using 144 Hz on my Windows Desktop here is a screenshot of my monitor settings.
    If I switch to 60 Hz - OMG that mouse movement is horrible and makes me dizzy now after I'm so used to 144 Hz. Since I'm using this PC mostly for work not gaming, then 144 Hz allows me work comfortably all day long and my eyes don't get tired.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

And here is a quick video by Linus explaining the whole thing about Refresh Rate.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    And here is a quick video by Linus explaining the whole thing about Refresh Rate.

were not talking about windows ability to match your monitors refresh rate, of course it can, were talking about you stating that there is no screen tearing on a 144hz monitor which is flat out wrong, any time the input (talking about games here, not your "WORK") isn't synced with the display refresh rate you will have screen tearing. If you can maintain like 100fps plus it is probably negligible, but you will still have it. Also what I took from this video was 144hz monitors have reduced input lag, so movements of mice etc look smoother. by all means buy a 144hz monitor but don't expect optimal performance unless you can push at or very close to refresh rate.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

were not talking about windows ability to match your monitors refresh rate, of course it can, were talking about you stating that there is no screen tearing on a 144hz monitor which is flat out wrong, any time the input (talking about games here, not your "WORK") isn't synced with the display refresh rate you will have screen tearing. If you can maintain like 100fps plus it is probably negligible, but you will still have it. Also what I took from this video was 144hz monitors have reduced input lag, so movements of mice etc look smoother. by all means buy a 144hz monitor but don't expect optimal performance unless you can push at or very close to refresh rate.
    You are so wrong about screen tearing. It's the opposite to what you are saying. If your monitor is 60 Hz and your game is running beyond 60 FPS then you will have screen tearing. To prevent screen tearing in this case you can use VSync to lock your frames. FPS is a measurement of how many frames your GPU can draw per second and Hz is a measurement of how many times your monitor can redraw that image per second. I would agree that buying a monitor more than 60 Hz is unnecessary only in case when your PC can't run games above 60 FPS. But this whole thread was about GTX 1070, which is quite powerful GPU that can handle games easily and render more than 60 FPS on max settings even at 1440p. So, a higher refresh rate screen is a bonus to enjoy those 60+ FPS.

If I'm not clear in my explanation then here is a great article that explains FPS vs Hz
    http://www.avadirect.com/blog/frame-...-refresh-rate/

And what I stated above, I also experienced myself. When I had 60 Hz monitor I was getting a lot of screen tearing because my PC was easily running any game 60+ FPS. As soon as I got 144 Hz monitor I have 0 screen tearing and the game looks much much smoother now.

Moreover, read the comment what the Author of this thread has to say. Yes, he was astonished how different 144 Hz screen looks to compared 60 Hz. Yeah, you will say, it's all GSync and yatty yatty...
    Last edited by ZED; 01-15-2017 at 06:20 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

https://hardforum.com/threads/how-vs...the-it.928593/

this guy explains it perfectly, I'm sure me and him are both idiots who don't have 20 years building computers under our belts, but as I have always UNDERSTOOD screen tearing to work is If the REFRESH RATE doesn't match the FRAME BUFFER in a 1:1 ratio then the screen will try to display 2 images at once showing a split in the screen with information from 2 frames. Also my main argument is that the OP needs to make sure he has the right video card for the job, if he had been on a gtx 750ti and someone had recommended a high refresh rate monitor to play new games that would have been foolish recommendation.

Yes I know the article was written years ago, but the idea should still stand.
    Last edited by Velozzity; 01-15-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

https://hardforum.com/threads/how-vs...the-it.928593/

this guy explains it perfectly, I'm sure me and him are both idiots who don't have 20 years building computers under our belts, but as I have always UNDERSTOOD screen tearing to work is If the REFRESH RATE doesn't match the FRAME BUFFER in a 1:1 ratio then the screen will try to display 2 images at once showing a split in the screen with information from 2 frames. Also my main argument is that the OP needs to make sure he has the right video card for the job, if he had been on a gtx 750ti and someone had recommended a high refresh rate monitor to play new games that would have been foolish recommendation.

Yes I know the article was written years ago, but the idea should still stand.
    He is talking about multiple VSync techniques. Yet, he had the same point about running game with higher FPS than your monitor can refresh. As I said before and as the article I posted said and as Linus said, Monitor Refresh rate in Hz is a measurement of how many times your monitor is capable to Refresh per second, while FPS is a measurement of how many frames your GPU can render per second. And yes, the article you posted is quite old and yes the concept is more or less the same. But as I said he is talking about old VSync techniques. Moreover, modern gaming monitors have different response time now compared to what it used to be back in 2005 when 75 Hz monitors had high response time, thus creating screen tearing. I remember that time perfectly because in 2005 I still chose a CTR monitor over LCD because simply CTR monitor had instant response time and had no screen tearing on sharp movements - same what Linus said btw about CTR monitors.

And yes I agree, and I will repeat this one more time: Yes buying a 144 Hz monitor on low end system is unnecessary and overkill. And I will say again, this whole topic was about GTX 1070 running 60+ FPS at 1080p and 1440p

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Moreover, modern monitors have different buffer techniques compared to what was back then in 2005. Given your logic then high end TVs that come with 600 Hz screen have a massive screen tearing because movies run at 24 FPS.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/972194

Read this and explain it then please....Its talking about video playback and how the player doesn't syncronize with the display.

Also, what is this guy talking about then, since he says he has a 600hz display, but somehow screen tears?

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...raphics-card-/

I believe that screen tearing only happens when the output is not a multiple of the refresh rate (e.g. synced, hence the reason we have sync technologies to begin with), since he says he set his output to 60hz and the problems went away. I mean really besides a few videos where it shows screen tearing as being frames per second ABOVE the refresh rate, do you have any conclusive proof that screen tearing doesn't exist when the refresh rate and the frames per second are out of sync. Googling it shows both people talking about frames per second (in 3d rendering) being above the refresh rate and below it.

Also since you brought it up

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-600hz/

The 600Hz claim by all the current plasma TV manufacturers has to do with how the TVs create an image, but is not 600 images per second.
    You still gonna keep asserting I have no clue what I'm talking about when the 600hz tv you talk about has absolutely nothing to do with how many times the display refreshes and shows a new image but some advanced lighting technique that uses 600hz as marketing Jargon and is unique to how Plasmas work.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Even this post explains what happens in the scenario you talked about with 24fps movies

https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...s_movie_on_my/

There is still some behind the scenes conversion going on to "Sync" the output (dvd, blue ray, etc) to the display. Unless the display has a refresh rate that is a multiple of 24 the display cannot natively play 24fps source material and has to alter it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

In case that wasn't enough, here is a website editors quote from Near you, since your Sig. says Canada....

144Hz without an adaptive synchronization technology like FreeSync or G-Sync will result in tearing, yes.
    That was in response to a question in this thread...http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...e-tearing.html , Notice the title. Also someone quotes that it occurs above the refresh rate, which the MOD chimes in and

Ya displays definitely tear if your framerate isn't matching the displays refresh rate. Doesn't matter if it is under or over. GSYNC is the solution. It really is game changing IMO.
    Also in this thread they point out that Tearing can occur above or below the refresh rate in relation to FPS. They say the reason that it seems like high refresh rate monitors don't have any screen tearing is the image is replaced twice as fast and therefore isn't as noticeable but still exists. I really don't know what about my original post saying don't buy high refresh monitor without a card to keep frames equally high seemed such a jab but you will not have perfectly smooth output unless you have some sort of adaptive sync/vsync enabled to sync the fps and refresh and saying otherwise is stupid and goes against the whole premise for GSYNC and Freesync, that is the only reason that Nvidia and AMD even developed those technologies. If a high refresh rate monitor alone was the solution, then they would never sell GSYNC/Freesync compatible monitors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast