Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Nhl Graphics Card Help

Hey good Sirs and Lady Sirs,
    i have a Gforce 740 in my desktop and an ATI Mobility Raedeon 5870 in my old laptop (circa 2011) and i don't know which one is better or if i should go through the trouble of changing them out. Please help..... please i'm so cold and afraid.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy AOD Member AOD_afluffybunni's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Poor bunni gets no halp.

Looks like a tropical earthquake blew through here! GaseousSnake's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

A 740 more than likely won't do you very well after watching some videos online. I can't find much on the 5870 but that is also a fairly dated card. Maybe look into grabbing a new GPU? I hear many people are having great success with the 1060 and that seems to be reasonably priced.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

This is really helpful and when I can I'm going to upgrade but with a baby coming and being on unemployment for the time being I am trying to do what I can lol. Thanks for the help man.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

So how do I decide between the companies like msi evga asus etc. I really suck at hardware and plan to better myself in the summer with some college classes.

Im on board a sinking ship of misfits. beerddlovliness's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

They are all trusted brands so kind of just pick one lol. Ive got a EVGA GTX 970. They probably have slight differences id assume mainly in looks and maybe some slight performance differences but I doubt it would be much to worry about. I think the biggest issue with them is which one has the best customer support and warranty lol. I could get Brand A for $300 with better performance or Brand B for $350 but A has worse or little to no support than B does. if that makes sense haha.

Can I have your Tots FenrisWolf's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You'd probably be a little better off buying a 1070 if you're planning on sticking with nVidia. The 1050 and 1060 models aren't worth the $50 in savings you'll get.

As far as brands, I'm partial to Gigabyte for their windforce version of cards. My PC is in a bad location and can suffer from overheating. I've also had good experiences with ASUS and EVGA (probably the best, but a little pricier). What I wouldn't recommend is any pre-overclocked card. Any time I've bought one of those I've ended up tuning it back down to the factory settings because it always ended up crashing or being a bit unstable.

Ultimately, roll the dice, read the reviews on newegg, and if you want to get into it a little deeper check out HardOCP, Toms Hardware, and for a quick a dirty GPUBoss has some good info.

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Bighoss001's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I recently upgraded to a 1060 3gb. Its bottlenecking because i only have a i3. But am still able to put 50-60fps about maxed out on bf1. Its a PNY XLR8 1060 3gb. Stays cool. Everyone says youll be better off with this or that. Its not about you should get this. Its about what you can afford. If you have that old of a pc. You might want to ether get a new powersupply if yours doesn't have the right connections or look at the 1050ti. They only draw the 75w through the pci lane and dont need any more cables from the psu.

Sent from my rocket chair with enough rocking power itll blow your freaking mind

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Bighoss001's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Bighoss001 View Post
    I recently upgraded to a 1060 3gb. Its bottlenecking because i only have a i3. But am still able to put 50-60fps about maxed out on bf1. Its a PNY XLR8 1060 3gb. Stays cool. Everyone says youll be better off with this or that. Its not about you should get this. Its about what you can afford. If you have that old of a pc. You might want to ether get a new powersupply if yours doesn't have the right connections or look at the 1050ti. They only draw the 75w through the pci lane and dont need any more cables from the psu.

Sent from my rocket chair with enough rocking power itll blow your freaking mind
    To comment on my comment. The 740 is old but isnt old. Your power supply might need tk be upgraded if it doesnt have the 6 pin or what connections for the 1060 and up. If it doesn't have the connections and dont have the money for a full upgrade look at the 1050s and 1050ti's. There better then what you have now. And should last you a few years at 1080p

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

My rig is new but the graphics card is out of date. (My amazing wife got it for my birthday) but I have not looked at the power supply. This is all teaching me a lot. You guys are awesome.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Narphalex's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

might be a good thought to pick up a 950 TI or used 970 both are going really cheap at the moment and are great cards for budget rigs with the 970 leaning more towards intermediate levels.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

I used to use the ibuypower website to check my hardware when the had that meter that showed you what games and settings the build you made would play. But since they removed that I haven't found a site that lets me do that. Anyone know of one?

Looks like a tropical earthquake blew through here! GaseousSnake's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What CPU do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Next time I get on my compi I'll get all the stats and post them.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

MY RIG: geforce gt 740, i5 @3.20ghz, 12gb ram

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Timmee45's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

FYI, go here. Tom's hardware does an update when anything new gets released and it will let you see what they are recommending after exhaustive testing. They have everything recommended for any budget. If you want, you can see their reviews and where the cards hold up by clicking review under each card.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck Narphalex's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Timmee45 View Post
    FYI, go here. Tom's hardware does an update when anything new gets released and it will let you see what they are recommending after exhaustive testing. They have everything recommended for any budget. If you want, you can see their reviews and where the cards hold up by clicking review under each card.

Their forum help is also pretty quick also. Just make sure to go specific about specs and hardware so you don't get asked it in the first question.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5T OC Video Card just picked this up please let me know if i have made a terrible mistake

Foxtrot, Unicorn, Charlie, Kilo Neotoad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_afluffybunni View Post
    MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5T OC Video Card just picked this up please let me know if i have made a terrible mistake
    Great choice!

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Thanks for all the help you guys rock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast