Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Change you passwords often?

Dear AOD,
    maybe you have noticed me absent from AODE squadron I was in (maybe not). A particularly interesting thing happened to my account while I was on my business trip.
    Apparently, some user have gained knowledge of my log-in information (I use this information for gaming accounts only, so it's possible some other game has sold their information off) and left the AOD squad and also changed my username to something I can't stand seeing (IMEL_KOTA). What's funny, I also got myself a chat ban for 2 days (all in the spawn of 1,5days I was away from my account).
    Luckily, I managed to reclaim the ownership of the account, but I might need to wait for my paycheck to change my username back to what it was. I wrote a claim to Gaijin support, but I doubt they will do anything about it. So once again, fair reminder, change your passwords if you're using the same password and e-mail for another game. Everything can happen in this age of internet.

Cheerios.!

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! travis zwoyer's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Dang man sorry to hear that. I don't understand why people would steal a War Thunder account, there is not much to gain from it. Also you are right anything can happen on the interweb.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd understand if they also denied me the access to the account. But simply paying to change username without changing the password/e-mail seems like a waste to me.
    The downside for me is that I might have to pay to change my username as well, and also the chat ban that has now been added to my account history.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Im sure if you contact the support they sort you out and maybe have a chance to remove the chat ban from your history.
    They should be able to look up info on your account and see you got hacked!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yey, I'm back!
    As you said, eQuiitox, Gaijin actually answered my prayers. They changed my username but they said they can't compensate any ingame activities that have been done (I'm totally fine with that, though). I do keep my chat ban history, but that's something I can live with. Thanks to Gaijin!
    but yeah, a lesson to be learned, although keeping multiple passwords seems like a pain in the ass, it's actually somewhat useful, I guess.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Do you have any idea who would do such an atrocious thing like this to you? If had to guess since there is no monetary gain from doing this, someone deliberately wants to send you a message to you for whatever reason. You may have unintentionally threatened someone by accident.

Hacking a War Thunder account is not a random thing. You were a target. Good news is we got alot of good people in AOD that are very knowledgeable with computers and what not, So it couldn't hurt to ask around on how to tighten up your cyber security. Just some advice to you. You can never be to careful.....

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the advice, Travis. I do have a method to make my account safer, but I rarely use that for game accounts (which is my own fault, I guess).
    Unfortunately, I can't pinpoint the exact place where my information was leaked. I often play games and by beating someone's ass silly, you're bound to make enemies without your direct knowledge. I doubt any of the game sites I've been to were hacked just for someone to pick a fight with me, it's more likely that someone from the game company sold my (and possible countless others') account information to a 3rd party.
    From what I noticed, the guy who got my account was rather serious of keeping it without making it safe first. Changed username, played it a lot in the spawn of 2 days, joined a squadron. In my opinion, the user of my account wasn't informed that the account is currently in use and believed it to be inactive. So I still believe that someone sold him the information.
    It would be awful if it was done from inside the Gaijin.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah that could be quite possible, if that were the case whos to say it couldn't happen again. I did a quick web search and from what i seen on multiple forums were just a handful of incidents at most at these sites. Google war thunder account hacked. To me thats not overwhelming evidence of an inside job. If so then you were unfortunately the needle picked from the haystack.

Im not sure if this is crossing any boundries or inappropriate for the forum, however I think other players have a right to know about this no matter what the scenario that took place is.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i got some extra protection for my account, everytime i have to log into my WT account i have to get a code from google. a random code i get everytime i gonna log in. just to make sure no one hacks me! :D

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Plz explain?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_travis zwoyer View Post
    Plz explain?
    You can enable Google "Authenticator" in settings when you log into Warthunder.com

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_eQuiitox View Post
    You can enable Google "Authenticator" in settings when you log into Warthunder.com
    I was always too lazy for that :D I guess Laziness asks for a sacrifice.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_CuteReaper View Post
    I was always too lazy for that :D I guess Laziness asks for a sacrifice.
    Haha yea seems like it :D