Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Best method to reuse existing SSD boot drive on new build?

Hi everyone, I'm going to build a new computer this weekend but would like to move my SSD with OS over without losing my files, if possible. I have read it is generally a messy process but is possible. I originally bought Win7 then used the free Win10 upgrade and am able to get my product key. I'm moving from an i5 4690k and GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI to an i7 7700k and ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING, the SSD is a 1tb Samsung 850 Evo. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Ancient's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You -can- keep your files without losing the OS, even with a reinstall, but you -are- going to need to reinstall your OS. Do you have a hard drive sitting around that you could use?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have an old 1tb HDD, will that work? Also, I bought a new Win10 in the event I wasn't able to move everything over, and will return it if it isn't needed. While moving everything over is preferred, I am fine with getting using the new Win10 key if that would make a difference.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

1) You can use your Win7 or Win8 key to activate Win10 even though that upgrade time is done. I've done this multiple times installing Win10 with Win7 and Win8 key. Last time I did was 3 weeks ago on my friends PC and used Win7 key to activate Win10
    2) Just plug your new SSD into your new hardware. It will go crazy for a bit but all you need to do is uninstall all old drivers and just simply install new drivers for your new hardware. However, if you have some important files on it then always back them up to another drive. Actually it's a bad practice to keep files on your main system drive. So, anyways never keep your data on a system drive.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks Zed, why is it a bad practice to keep data on the system drive? I've mostly read that it's preferred to have everything on one drive if possible. Maybe I misread before, but I believe that's what they were saying.

If that is the case, am I better off getting a small ssd or and putting my OS on that and keeping all the rest on my existing 1tb ssd? Or getting a new 1-2tb hdd and putting my data on that, leaving the 1tb ssd for the OS and no/some data?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_movak37 View Post
    Thanks Zed, why is it a bad practice to keep data on the system drive? I've mostly read that it's preferred to have everything on one drive if possible. Maybe I misread before, but I believe that's what they were saying.

If that is the case, am I better off getting a small ssd or and putting my OS on that and keeping all the rest on my existing 1tb ssd? Or getting a new 1-2tb hdd and putting my data on that, leaving the 1tb ssd for the OS and no/some data?
    Well think about it. If you have data (like documents, music, video or any valuable files that you can't afford to loose) on your system drive then in case of OS failure your data is in a high risk to be lost. That is why it is best to store your data on a separate drive that does not have OS installed. Thus, when your OS will fail you can easily just reformat your system drive without touching your data drive. Moreover, you can always take out data drive and place it into another computer and use it. Also, if you really have some data that you do not want to loose then always back it up on another drive. Hence, I personally have 2 SSDs, 2 HDDs inside my PC and 2 external HDDs that are used for data backup. My main SSD contains OS and some games installed that I mostly play. My secondary SSD is used for other games that I don't play as often and mostly is being used for Virtual Machines for my work. My 2 HDDs store documents, movies, music and all kinds of files, as well as Virtual Machine backups. So, if anything goes wrong with my OS, I will not loose any data. I can just simply format C drive and install a fresh copy of Windows, applications and games I'm going to use.

Knee High to a Worms Ass tiva Whovian's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I can say that Zed is correct about keeping your OS separate from your other files. I'm in class at this time for Certification. This point is made more twice in several classes. Zed did I understand that I can reset my laptop with Windows 7 and than upgrade to Windows 10 with no problem.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_tiva Whovian View Post
    I can say that Zed is correct about keeping your OS separate from your other files. I'm in class at this time for Certification. This point is made more twice in several classes. Zed did I understand that I can reset my laptop with Windows 7 and than upgrade to Windows 10 with no problem.
    With laptop it may be tricky. Instead of using built in recovery partition, you will have to go to Microsoft Website and download Windows 10 media creation tool and create an installation media (like a bootable usb flash drive).
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

Then depending on your BIOS (UEFI) security settings you will have to boot from that flash drive to begin installation process. It may or may not ask you for the key during the installation process. If it does not ask for key during installation process then you may or may not need to activate it after installation is done. In case you don't know Win 7 key for your laptop then you can recover it from UEFI by running this command in command prompt:
    wmic os get "SerialNumber"

In case that command did not work then this might work:
    wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

In case activation process did not work through online service then use phone service (works all the time for me).

You may also try this as per this article. Although I haven't tried it myself so I don't know if it really works.
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsof...tive-features/
    Last edited by ZED; 02-14-2017 at 08:36 PM.