Knee High to a Worms Ass gadgetick's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default New to Gaming Need Hard Drive

Hey Guys i am new to gaming and wanted to know which hard drive will be best for best gaming experience.
    My PC is very slow running PC. I have heard that an external hard drive can fix that.

Please recommend a very low budget external hard drive.Please dont throw your affiliate links and try to help me.
    Thanks

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! CrazyJoe's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

An external hard drive will not speed your PC up. That might actually slow it down. An SSD drive would be the better choice for an internal drive.
    What exactly are the specs for your PC ? ( Processor, Ram, video card, hard drive, and even OS )
    It would be easier to see the possible bottleneck(s) if we know what you have to work with.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! kirsch's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Pretty much what CJ said, I'd go with a Solid State Internal Drive.

You could even keep (depending on your computer) your current drive for storage and things and then install the games on the SSD.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hard drive have very little impact on the games you play, imo the best is to have a solid hard drive for windows and nothing more, and an SSD for everything else, the point is to not cluster you OS with possible errors in retrieving data. If you want to up you gaming experience you'll have to look at your GPU and CPU.

Knee High to a Worms Ass gadgetick's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Help Regarding Hard Drives

Thanks for help guys

Going for wd my book and this website helped me.

http://17oxen.com/best-external-hard-drives/

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetick View Post
    Thanks for help guys

Going for wd my book and this website helped me.

http://17oxen.com/best-external-hard-drives/
    The Western Digital My Book Desktop External hard Drive is the best repository for your music, photos, videos, documents or any other media
    You can buy it, and I'm not an expert - but honestly if there would be a change my guess is it would be worse performance than what you have now. All of these hard drives look like the purpose is for backing up data, not running games that need to have things loaded up every time you start it. The OS is going to use the writing speed of the hard drive it is currently on, so you can hook up as many external drives as you want, but it's still going to be the original internal drive that is using it.

I'd recommend reading CrazyJoe's reply as he was spot on.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Thesaurus's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

External Hard Drives are for backing up your data and big files like video and music.

Internal Hard Drives are either old school magnetic or solid state (SSD).

For gaming, in the best circumstances you want 2 internal hard drives: an SSD to be your c:\ that holds your OS and any games you want to play, and then an old school magnetic HD for any thing you absolutely need to have on your box but isn't a game or the OS - I keep my mp3's and non-game applications on my magnetic for example.

SSD's are expensive, and small capacity, but they read and write faster than .... something very very fast ... I'm not good at metaphors. The fast read/write thing is important, because, for example, on my old laptop from loading ps2 to spawning in took over 2 minutes or more, with my SSD it takes less than 30 seconds to run the game and be spawned in - the SSD dumps all the game data to the RAM and GPU quicker, so they can process it quicker, and so on.

Magnetic HDD's are cheap and can come in 1TB or higher easily. They read and write about the same speed as they have for 30 years. If you've ever owned a computer it has had a regular magnetic HDD in it.

External HDD's are priced all over the place depending on all sorts of things. They are for STORAGE and BACKUP only. You would never, ever, ever ever, ever, run a game, or application, or the OS from an external. You can try, but it's a bad idea and you will have a bad time. An external HDD will have zero impact on your gaming experience.

Hope that helps, and what do you mean by "Please dont throw your affiliate links" ?? Who what now?
    Last edited by Thesaurus; 02-16-2017 at 11:54 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HitTheThesaurus View Post
    External Hard Drives are for backing up your data and big files like video and music.
    External Hard Drives are exactly same drives you have inside your PC weather it is 3.5" or 2.5" drive.
    You can create your own external drive by simply buying an external drive enclosure. I created a bunch of external 2.5" drives myself since I had a bunch of laptop drives lying around. Some 2.5" drives I use inside my desktop as well.
    Simply get something like this for 2.5" drives: https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Enclo...nclosure&psc=1
    Or something like this for 3.5" drives: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Exter...closure+3.5%22

You would never, ever, ever ever, ever, run a game, or application, or the OS from an external.
    Yes you can. I've done that many times. I ran OS and ran games off the external drive. I cloned drives, backed up drives and used them to boot as well.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well yeah they're the same but in practice something external usually is used for backing up or storage of media, and connected via something less speedy than SATA. Like at my home we have a synology NAS with a bunch of regular magnetic hard drives in it pretending to be one big external, it holds all our media and backups and connects via ethernet to the LAN.

"Yes you can. I've done that many times. I ran OS and ran games off the external drive. I cloned drives, backed up drives and used them to boot as well."

You can do it, but in the context of wanting to improve gaming experience it's not gonna help. You can run an OS off a usb stick or sd card, but you wouldn't to play most 3d-heavy games, I don't think.

Setting all that aside, I'm willing to bet a timmy's coffee that gadgetick is an advertisment.
    Last edited by Thesaurus; 02-16-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You can do it, but in the context of wanting to improve gaming experience it's not gonna help. You can run an OS off a usb stick or sd card, but you wouldn't to play most 3d-heavy games, I don't think.
    Well your comment was stating that you would never ever run OS... but there are situations when you run :-)
    When there were no SSDs around or they were way too expensive, a USB stick was an alternative to increase game loading times (this was useful in MMO RPG games).
    Alternative way to increase your loading times in games and make your game run smoother is creating a drive on your RAM. This is actually even faster than any SSD you can buy since RAM is the fastest and closest memory to CPU. The only downside is that since RAM is a volatile memory then as soon as you power down your PC you will loose everything you installed on that RAM drive. So, you would have to install that game again next time you power on your PC.

Well yeah they're the same but in practice something external usually is used for backing up or storage of media, and connected via something less speedy than SATA.
    In practice yes. However, your statement was unclear if you meant in practice or in general.
    There are external drives that are faster than regular external drives and run on faster connection than SATA - Thunderbolt. Apple has them but they are expensive as hell and not worth it.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! CrazyJoe's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd still like to hear about your system specs. While a hard drive might cure the slow PC ... it could very well be low memory, a slow processor, an inadequate video card, or even just the need for a fresh OS installation.

More information is needed to really give a proper response that will help you ( gadgetick ) to get the best upgrade possible for the least investment.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    Alternative way to increase your loading times in games and make your game run smoother is creating a drive on your RAM.
    So like this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/26091..._ram_disk.html. That's neat, like virtual SSD, kinda.