Looks like a tropical earthquake blew through here! GaseousSnake's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Questions about VSync

So I'm just curious: How is it that people can play games without VSync and without screen tearing? I have VSync on 100% of the time because without it, most of my games tear like a bastard. The thing is though, there are some games that perform like shit with VSync on. Is this the fault of my monitor? I run a 60hz 5ms monitor and without VSync like I said, it tears so bad it's near unplayable. Would a higher frequency monitor (ie: 75, 120, 144) combat this? Not an overly important issue, just kinda curious.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_GaseousSnake View Post
    So I'm just curious: How is it that people can play games without VSync and without screen tearing? I have VSync on 100% of the time because without it, most of my games tear like a bastard. The thing is though, there are some games that perform like shit with VSync on. Is this the fault of my monitor? I run a 60hz 5ms monitor and without VSync like I said, it tears so bad it's near unplayable. Would a higher frequency monitor (ie: 75, 120, 144) combat this? Not an overly important issue, just kinda curious.
    What GPU and Monitor do you use?

Looks like a tropical earthquake blew through here! GaseousSnake's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have an ASUS Turbo GTX970 and I use a 24 inch LG 60hz 5ms monitor. Can't remember the exact model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That's normal for 60 Hz screen. Ever since I got 144 hz monitor I never seen any screen tearing. Playing without Vsync and even if on some games FPS drops below 100 it's still fine and I get no screen tearing (even at 60 fps). I did a test, played on the same monitor with 60hz and omg that screen tearing at 60 hz but as soon as I put back to 144 hz I get no screen tearing and everything looks much smoother.

My friend had the same thing. He has two monitors 60hz and 144hz and we tested on both. 60 hz just looks horrible after you got used to 144hz. Even my friend he was used so much to 60 hz and he was like: there is no screen tearing. But when he tried 144hz and then went back to his old monitor at 60 hz he was like: wtf, there is screen tearing, it was not like that before.

So, to answer your question. Yeah, 144hz monitor is a huge difference. Moreover, 144hz monitors have built in buffers that improve picture smoothness (at least my BenQ XL2411Z has). Therefore, you are not getting screen tearing even if the FPS is below 144 and there is no need for VSync.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What games are you playing that your 970 struggles with v-sync on? My wife has a 970 / 60hz monitor and she uses v-sync on every game. Her gpu has yet to see 100% lol
    Are you drivers updated and all that?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you are thinking of updating your monitor just pay attention to your video card and monitor capabilities between vsync, fsync, Freesync, and gsync. I have a GeForce 1070 and a 144hz monitor with gsync between the two; great combo. I'm sure others work just fine as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...or,3699-5.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_Warlon's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Also, look into Fast-sync to combat tearing.

Cadet Warlon | Activision ID: Warlon Xbox Live: WarlonX