Don't get mad, just get glad. Jack's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default How to crossfire graphics cards

I have two pretty shitty amd 380 graphics cards, but am only currently using one of them and don't know how to set up crossfire Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inside job.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	29505
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	614bbb36288f18a370b457e3e9ef5ad7.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	29504  

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Jack View Post
    I have two pretty shitty amd 380 graphics cards, but am only currently using one of them and don't know how to set up crossfire Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inside job.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	29505
    Pop second one into lane, plug it in, make sure you got enough horsepower in that powersupply to power everything, go to amd radeon settings, should give you a prompt to set it up there.

Don't get mad, just get glad. Jack's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

how do you make sure that power is going to both graphics cards?

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Thesaurus's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Check this chart to see if the card supports crossfire: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ire-Chart.aspx

My brother got his hands on a duplicate of his radeon 7800 and was bummed to find out they wouldn't crossfire. The chart will tell you if a crossfire connector cable between the cards is required too.

About power: I'm pretty sure if the cards need power from the PSU, you gotta supply it to both and have a PSU that can pump enough juice. So whichever power cable is going into the card you have in there now, just makesure you have a second one.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Personally I would switch to Nvidia...

Although without getting too nerdy here its very possible that you can get a better graphics card for around the same price with a higher memory interface and such and get even better performance depending on what your setup is But I wouldn't trust AMD cards because over the years I have found out that they have problems with Open GL Games which I still play some older versions of games using older rendering software has major shader issues.

So IMO, instead of wasting money cross-firing this specific card I would just switch to a proper Nvidia one down the line depending on your specs, its up to you obviously, but im just saying my current system build with..

I7 6700K 8 Thread CPU
    DDR4 32 GB 3600 GHZ
    Maximus VIII motherboard
    Asus 750ti https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8538-_-Product

Gets me a flat 60 FPS on

Planet Side 2
    Rainbow 6 Siege
    League OF Legends
    Smite
    Overwatch
    Skyforge
    The only game I have problem with is ARC Survival but I am working next on a new Graphics card and slowly adding 24TB of storage to my system.

When I did the update on my system with an I7 last Black Friday, it cost me like only $1000, I used my previous case, power supply, graphics card, couldn't fit my old Creative Sound Card, but I use a 7.1 gaming headset anyways and the on board one is pretty good, I can't give my personal opinion on Ryzen CPU's haven't tested these yet. But I can give the opinion that if you are getting above 60 FPS on your monitors and its smooth enough don't bother wasting the money to upgrade an AMD, and older hardware unless you just don't care.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As far as power supply testing the most basic is this...

https://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-...+supply+tester

Generally a computer won't boot if its not getting power

There are other methods and Multi-meters that can be used but I don't recommend this unless you know the layout of the circuits and how to test the lines or goodbye computer / shock hazard.

Also if getting low performance I recommend checking the Bios /UEFI settings a lot of times pre-built computers even some people who don't know just build their pc and boot it but for example I am using DDR4 3600 ram my Maximus VIII board wouldn't work with it and kept setting it at 2100 speed before I did the bios update and set it back to 3600, this made a huge FPS increase, and I hear people or gamer's always complain about how their graphics card is the problem, its not always the graphics card but also the CPU, Memory, and GPU, as well as Hard Drives, if not properly configured any of these can bottle neck the system it can be caused by hardware, or software.

There is also many power supply configurations I am familar with including running multiple power supplies on a single system, generally these days most people only need one power supply, and its fairly straight forward of how to set it up and plug it in, however there is also Rails, and configurations some people use I just can't agree with like connecting hard drives with fans on the same lines and such its just not something I personally do, but I think most everyone here would just use the standard setups...

Also my GPU fan only runs at like 5% most of the time when gaming and shuts down at 150F max just in-case the liquid cooler fails so no damage happens, but so far its a great build I love it, and running the PC fans on specific hardware / software configured rates using ASUS AI helps prevent the dust, plus I use custom dust filters on all my intakes on the PC, as well as never install fans on the bottom when using on carpet unless you use the proper 1-2 in clearance with room and pref stick the case on a board or lumber.
    Last edited by Lilith; 04-15-2017 at 05:25 PM.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Thesaurus's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

also what I've read is that sli/crossfire is 1. not used by most applications/games and 2. is being phased out going forward by nvidia and AMD, and 3. in the majority of benchmarks and testing there is no extra gain in having two cards in comparison to just getting a slightly better/newer SINGLE adapter (whether in your case better means a step in model, or the same model but the higher GB/higher mhz version), for a number of reasons but fundamentally: 4. sli/crossfire downgrades both cards to the strength of the lesser card, so some people have a 8gb card crossed with a 4gb, now they have two 4gb cards bottlenecking each other.

:(