Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! chlorformbandit's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Need help choosing malware program.

Hey family! I need some help and or suggestions for using a malware program. For years I've been using malware bytes. (Cracked) version. Just recently updated my computer and I haven't been able to get a good copy of this program since. Can anyone help me with any suggestion? Really need some virus protection for the rig. Pirate bay and extra torrent only seems to have duds

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

To decode this comment into a readable form, rot13 it twice. SubsandwichMachinegun's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use the free version of Malware Bytes along with Avast and avoid going on shady stuff. Works for me but I could understand wanting something more comprehensive. Norton is generally a strong choice, however, I chose these two free programs over Norton because it would draw massive ammounts of resources for no reason (no background scans, shields, walls, nothing). Avast and Bytes don't do that as frequently. I would recomend these two heavily, I know that youve been using the cracked version of Malware Bytes however, the free version is perfectly acceptable. Here are the links:

https://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

There is nothing wrong with the free versions, I have had little to no problems for the past 5+ years of occassional monthly scans and being careful when browsing.

Hope I helped!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_chlorformbandit View Post
    Hey family! I need some help and or suggestions for using a malware program. For years I've been using malware bytes. (Cracked) version. Just recently updated my computer and I haven't been able to get a good copy of this program since. Can anyone help me with any suggestion? Really need some virus protection for the rig. Pirate bay and extra torrent only seems to have duds

Using Windows Defender (It's official and FREE from Microsoft) for 7 years now. Works great and also has good support. Source, I have connections at Cyber Security company that do research anti-malware softwares.

Something more advanced I would recommend Bitdefender. Very sophisticated software and awesome support. Source, as stated above + I use it widely on all computers for the company that I work for as IT System Administrator.

Stay away from Avast, McAfee and Norton. Worst antivirus software ever.

The only full truth in life, is Death. Symsyr's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Personally, I use a combination of Malware Bytes (free version), Spybot Search and Destroy and Avast, when I am on my Windows machine. If you aren't into ethical hacking or rooting/jailbreaking, then NOD32's ESET is a very good choice. If you are running Linux, then I recommend ClamAV. If you are on Mac, then I don't know which is best since I do not use Mac at all, unless it is with my Hackintosh VM.

Only reason I use Avast is because it is a lot easier to turn off when I need to mess with a rootkit. If you aren't a very technical person, I wouldn't recommend it because it does report a lot of false positives and lets things through. Kaspersky is pretty decent but I do agree with ZED and will say to stay away from Norton and McAfee.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Symsyr View Post
    If you are on Mac, then I don't know which is best since I do not use Mac at all, unless it is with my Hackintosh VM.
    Bitdefender works really well with Mac and Linux distros. I also like its Control Center, which is very comfy to manage, monitor and secure all computers connected. I use it a lot to monitor all company laptops and can remotely initiate scan or update at any given time as long as computer is online and is connected to Control Center. Also, can block certain websites that are not appropriate for employees to view from company computers.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I used BitDefender at my last job but I didn't like it too much, probably because I am so used to ClamAV on my Fedora Distro. I mainly use Windows for Gaming and that is about it

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I used BitDefender at my last job but I didn't like it too much, probably because I am so used to ClamAV on my Fedora Distro. I mainly use Windows for Gaming and that is about it
    A bit off topic. How is Fedora these days? I really didn't like Fedora back in 2014. Don't remember the version. GUI was so buggy.
    I use Oracle Linux, CentOS and Ubuntu.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    A bit off topic. How is Fedora these days? I really didn't like Fedora back in 2014. Don't remember the version. GUI was so buggy.
    I use Oracle Linux, CentOS and Ubuntu.
    Fedora 25 is amazing, to me anyways. Back with Fedora 15 - 20, GNOME was a little buggy but since Fedora 21, GNOME has been amazing. I have a thing against Ewwwbuntu and CentOS is great but I like breaking and fixing, especially since Fedora uses 'Bleeding-Edge' like Arch.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Fedora 25 is amazing, to me anyways. Back with Fedora 15 - 20, GNOME was a little buggy but since Fedora 21, GNOME has been amazing. I have a thing against Ewwwbuntu and CentOS is great but I like breaking and fixing, especially since Fedora uses 'Bleeding-Edge' like Arch.
    Yeah, Arch is cool too. I like Oracle Linux, it's very stable and has great support. Have a couple VMs that haven't been rebooted for over a year :-)

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! chlorformbandit's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Awesome suggestions guys really appreciate it.

I find your words tasteless, vulgar, and crass. Bravo! nu11xer0's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Anti-malware and anti-virus is what I do with 90% of my life... or so it seems, anyway. My advice, coming from years of related work, use the windows built-in anti-malware for day-to-day protection, stay away from sketchy sites, and DO NOT DOWNLOAD EXE FILES FROM TORRENT SITES (sorry for yelling but this is the most frequent way people get owned). Once a month or so, use a variety of scanners to go through your PC and clean out anything that may have slipped through.

A list of free scanners to follow: Malwarebytes Free, Super Anti-Spyware, ADW Cleaner, and Roguekiller. Check out sites like bleepingcomputer.com for more choices and some free advice. Piriform's CCleaner is a powerful (yet dangerous) tool that can help shorten scan times by removing temp files and other things that make virus scanning painful and will help keep your PC performing. Good luck out there and keep it clean ;)

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue loumil1988's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Windows defender as passive, day to day activities.
    Spybot Search & Destroy as manual, weekly scans.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I like AVG myself as a just-in-case deal, but I dont use my computer for much other than gaming/youtube

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i have always used microsoft security essentials (Now Windows Defender) and used Malware Bytes supplementally every so often. I havent gotten a virus in years