Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I RavenSCO's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Time To Upgrade

Parts of my system are getting grey beards time for some rejuvination...

Main upgrades will be :

MB : EX58-UD 3R
    CPU : i7 920 @ 2.8Ghz
    GPU : Gigabyte Windfirce GTX 970 OC 4GB onboard ?
    RAM : 6GB Corsair Matched @ 1333

Reason my GPU is ? is it may be worth SLI another 970 rather than buying a 1080..

Your thoughts and suggestions are invited...

Oh just 1 thing i will NOT consider AMD so please dont suggest it ...

Thanks

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Definitely a new MOBO and CPU. I recommend the 7600k (Or maybe the 7700k if you want to go extreme) and a Z270 Motherboard so you could overclock.You would also have to upgrade your RAM to DDR4, 16GB is the optimal capacity and any frequency is fine. I would not buying a another or a new GPU unless the therotical build is not up to par with your standards. If you are going to get a new GPU I would get a 1080 for 1080p if you have a 144Hz monitor if not, then a 1060 6GB or a 1070 would be fine for any 1080p monitor under 144Hz. If your monitor is at 1440p then a 1080 would be great for that resolution.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Going SLI with 970 is a waste. In fact going with anything under xx80 series SLI is a waste. It's always better to have a more powerful single GPU. And SLI is only then if there is nothing more powerful available on the market anymore. Like for example if you got GTX 1080 Ti but you still need more power then it makes sense to go SLI. Also, keep in mind that a lot of games are not well optimized for SLI.

As for upgrade. If you are planning of getting GTX 1080 then there is no doubt that you will need i7. So, you should get something like i7 6700k or i7 7700k. If you find a really really good deal on i7 6700k then go with that since there is super little difference between i7 6700k and i7 7700k. In fact for i7 7700k you would need a good cooler anyways (would not recommend air cooler on that chip) cause it's a bit hot chip compared to 6700k. I have i7 7700k and OC to 4.8 Ghz @ 1.25v and is cooled with Corsair H110i and I'm hitting 75C on full load. While gaming it stays around 60C - 65C. Increasing voltage to something 1.3+ would bring the temp to 80+C, which is still normal for this CPU according to Intel's documentation since they mentioned it that this chip has better thermals.

If you decide to got with i5 7600k instead then I wouldn't recommend getting GTX 1080, rather then go with GTX 1070 and OC it. However, keep in mind that in some games you might get some bottleneck even with GTX 1070. I used to have i5 6600k OC to 4.4 Ghz and I would get slight bottleneck that would cause micro stuttering, which might not be visible for some people but I'm super picky so it was bothering me. So, I upgraded to i7 7700k and all games run a lot smoother and with more stable Average FPS.

As for AMD, Ryzen is doing pretty good. If I was building a rig with i7 6800k or i7 6900k I would rather go with AMD Ryzen since they are cheaper and perform better in some areas too.
    As for AMD GPU's I'm waiting for AMD Vega before I decide to upgrade to GTX 1080 Ti. According to rumors AMD Vega will be a kick-ass GPU with 12.5 TFL, which is 1.2 TFL more than GTX 1080 Ti but the question is price. However, those are just rumors.

#Hainzy's Cat

Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Here is a part list for some parts I would recommend looking at about $1100 with taxes and shipping this includes a 1080. You do not want to SLI at all. The games now will not support it and NVIDIA is moving away from supporting it.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8FcDyf
    I can't feel my fingers.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Hainzy View Post
    Here is a part list for some parts I would recommend looking at about $1100 with taxes and shipping this includes a 1080. You do not want to SLI at all. The games now will not support it and NVIDIA is moving away from supporting it.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8FcDyf
    I would highly not recommend pairing i5 with GTX 1080 and also use air cooler on Kaby Lake because Kaby Lake are hot chips and air cooler will really struggle.

#Hainzy's Cat

Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

not true at all..... that air cooler gets me better temps then my h100i does with my 7600k. I actually ment to put the 7700k in that build though that was my bad.
    I can't feel my fingers.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($228.79 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-Z270P-D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($107.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Extreme Video Card ($419.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1147.51
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-11 21:51 EDT-0400

This is a Full new system that will play 1080p 60 FPS on Ultra on most AAA Titles and on Older/Indie titles you should see 144FPS, or even 1440p capabilities. Why do I recommend this build? It's going to be perfectly ok to use an i5 for Gaming. Going to an i7 isn't worth it if all you are doing is gaming. The 1080, while nice is really made for 1440p gaming at 60 FPS on Ultra settings, and 4K at lower settings. The 1070 is high enough power for High/Medium 1440p and Ultra 1080p both at 60FPS. I also threw 16GB of RAM into the build as, it's becoming Standard for games to require more than 8GB of RAM to run properly I know I was suffering from massive stuttering before I went to 32GB of RAM in BF1, and I had 8 GB. Didn't matter what graphical settings either. I would pull the HDD out of your old system and use it for main storage in this one.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Hainzy View Post
    not true at all..... that air cooler gets me better temps then my h100i does with my 7600k. I actually ment to put the 7700k in that build though that was my bad.
    well that's what I get with H110i with i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz

I've seen tests that get nowhere close to be that low.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post

It's going to be perfectly ok to use an i5 for Gaming. Going to an i7 isn't worth it if all you are doing is gaming.
    Not true. The exact reason why I upgraded from i5 6600k to i7 7700k was because it was bottlenecking GTX 1070 in many games. As soon as I upgraded to i7 7700k everything runs a lot smoother and I get waaaaaay much more stable average FPS and no more FPS dips. Especially helps when I run Oculus Rift.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    Not true. The exact reason why I upgraded from i5 6600k to i7 7700k was because it was bottlenecking GTX 1070 in many games. As soon as I upgraded to i7 7700k everything runs a lot smoother and I get waaaaaay much more stable average FPS and no more FPS dips. Especially helps when I run Oculus Rift.
    I have literally 0 issues with my 6600k and 1070 combo with 32GB of RAM. I don't know what world you live in where a 6600k bottlenecks a 1070, but it's not the real world.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    I have literally 0 issues with my 6600k and 1070 combo with 32GB of RAM. I don't know what world you live in where a 6600k bottlenecks a 1070, but it's not the real world.
    First, no need to be so huffy and fussy to your fellow AOD members.
    If you are fine with 100% CPU utilization and 70% - 99% GPU utilization that creates micro stuttering in games like BF1 or BF4 then it's alright. Or perhaps you just don't notice it. Personally for me it was not fine, especially when I began to use VR headset for sim racing. Thus, upgrading to i7 was worth it. Now, everything runs a lot smoother with much more stable FPS. Yes, i5 is fine for gaming but if you want more smoother gaming experience then i7 is the answer. Maybe you should try it out yourself one day.

And my i5 6600k was perfectly fine with GTX 970 but GTX 1070 had a slight bottleneck that caused micro stuttering from time to time that many people would not notice on monitor but in VR headset every single micro stuttering is very noticeable cause that creats nausea. Thus, i7 was the answer to all nausea and now I have a smooth gameplay like never before.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ok guys thanks for the input this is what i have decided to do...

i7 7700k
    New Mobo
    16GB Ram
    GTX 1070
    450Gb SSD
    Additional 2TB Hdd giving me 6TB internal disk space plus the SSD
    fitting into my Haf2 case which has already got water cooling system in there and has 3x 200mm fans as well

This should all be avail at around £800 ( the curse of being in the uk is h igh prices )

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_RavenSCO View Post
    i7 7700k
    New Mobo
    16GB Ram
    GTX 1070
    450Gb SSD
    I'm late to the party here, so I won't muddy the waters at all.... Nice specs though!

Good luck mobo hunting, the options are endless!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alias': Activision: Zeke009#2424731 |

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_RavenSCO View Post
    Ok guys thanks for the input this is what i have decided to do...

i7 7700k
    New Mobo
    16GB Ram
    GTX 1070
    450Gb SSD
    fitting into my Haf2 case which has already got water cooling system in there and has 3x 200mm fans as well

This should all be avail at around £800 ( the curse of being in the uk is h igh prices )
    You are going to love it. I recently upgraded from I7 920 it was a great CPU and served me for a long time but it was slowing down my 980Ti, The 7700K unleashed it and served a beautiful nest for the 1080Ti I ended up getting. I went with a Z270 Mb and an inexpensive M.2 SSD, less wires and amazing performance. be sure to post a few pics of the build.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Will do will be starting when i return from Turkey in 3 weeks :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ok guys here is the final result and continuing problem lol...

I went for and have now got in my system...

i7 7700
    Asus ROG Strix Gaming MB
    GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8Gb
    16Gb corsair @3000mhz ( 2x 8Gb )
    480Gb SSD

My prob is in another thread but is the sata connections are only showing 4 of the 6 devices i have connected

The boost from my 920 is out in space somewhere that little chip served me well for a lot of years......

Oh the delay was due to me having a minor heart attack :(