Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! HUMAN1ST1C's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default SLI Pros/Cons Modern Build

I was considering purchasing a second graphics card and running an SLI system with my new build. I know not all games support it (or do most now?). I don't know, but I would like to hear what you guys think: good idea/bad idea and why, games support, future game support, long term investment good/bad?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have never run SLI myself, so take this with a grain of salt, but what I've heard is that SLI is for two cases. You want more power than the current top of the line graphics card (expensive path) or you can't afford the best graphics card right now, so you buy the best you can afford and when that is no longer keeping up with games, buy one more of the same much cheaper since it is by then an old card (cheap path).

I've been looking into SLI myself when I was designing my new computer; thought that I could get good power from two 1070s instead of buying a 1080 Ti, but benchmarks disproves that idea.

Take DOOM for an example, in one benchmark 1080 (this was before the Ti) was 51 fps in 4k Ultra, SLI 1070 49 fps, plain 1070 42 fps. So not optimized at all for SLI. I think DOOM later added support for SLI?
    Black Ops 3: 218 fps for SLI 1070, 202 for plain 1080.
    and so on. Either games does not support SLI or the gain over the 1080 is so slight that it is not worth the hassle.

But if you are only playing a few games, and you know these games have excellent support for SLI, go for it. Otherwise, spend the money on the better card, I guess.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HUMAN1ST1C View Post
    I was considering purchasing a second graphics card and running an SLI system with my new build. I know not all games support it (or do most now?). I don't know, but I would like to hear what you guys think: good idea/bad idea and why, games support, future game support, long term investment good/bad?
    If you don't have 1080 Ti then don't get SLI. Always look for an opportunity to upgrade your graphics card to the best first and only then consider SLI. Moreover, NVIDIA are planning to drop SLI support soon. Even moreover, Every year there is a new GPU lineup so going SLI is a waste of money anyways. Rather sell the GPU and upgrade every year than waste money on two graphics cards.

I upgraded from GTX 970 to 1070 and gained 55% performance boost for only $100 and we all know that GTX 1070 is more powerful than GTX 980Ti that was double the price of GTX 1070 at its time. I'm thinking of GTX 1080 Ti but knowing that Volta might come in Q4 this year stops me. With that said, I'm still fine with my GTX 1070 and when Volta comes out I will get 1170 or 2070 depending on how NVIDIA continues these numbers. And I'm sure I will get another 50% boost for just $100.

So, with that said, spend extra $400 to get another GPU and/or get Ti version and just use it max for 2 years or just spend $100 per year and have more power every year??? Sorry, I'm thinking here in Canadian $$$. In US $$$ those numbers may be different but same concept.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! HUMAN1ST1C's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    If you don't have 1080 Ti then don't get SLI. Always look for an opportunity to upgrade your graphics card to the best first and only then consider SLI. Moreover, NVIDIA are planning to drop SLI support soon. Even moreover, Every year there is a new GPU lineup so going SLI is a waste of money anyways. Rather sell the GPU and upgrade every year than waste money on two graphics cards.

I upgraded from GTX 970 to 1070 and gained 55% performance boost for only $100 and we all know that GTX 1070 is more powerful than GTX 980Ti that was double the price of GTX 1070 at its time. I'm thinking of GTX 1080 Ti but knowing that Volta might come in Q4 this year stops me. With that said, I'm still fine with my GTX 1070 and when Volta comes out I will get 1170 or 2070 depending on how NVIDIA continues these numbers. And I'm sure I will get another 50% boost for just $100.

So, with that said, spend extra $400 to get another GPU and/or get Ti version and just use it max for 2 years or just spend $100 per year and have more power every year??? Sorry, I'm thinking here in Canadian $$$. In US $$$ those numbers may be different but same concept.
    That's the answer I'm looking for! I am currently running a 970, but my CPU is old, and I can't upgrade it any more, so I know it will likely start bottle-necking my GPU. I was looking at a 1080 Ti...but again, for just a few more ticks of FPS - that's a waste of money I know because I'm not going to notice it at all (I only see differences in 60, 90, and 120 FPS, from my experience).

I've never run SLI, but I wanted to see what it was all about since I will have some extra $$$ to spend - but long term, it seems like a waste of money to buy two top tier cards (and I'm not even running ultra HD, just standard 1080p).

Thanks for the info guys!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HUMAN1ST1C View Post
    That's the answer I'm looking for! I am currently running a 970, but my CPU is old, and I can't upgrade it any more, so I know it will likely start bottle-necking my GPU. I was looking at a 1080 Ti...but again, for just a few more ticks of FPS - that's a waste of money I know because I'm not going to notice it at all (I only see differences in 60, 90, and 120 FPS, from my experience).

I've never run SLI, but I wanted to see what it was all about since I will have some extra $$$ to spend - but long term, it seems like a waste of money to buy two top tier cards (and I'm not even running ultra HD, just standard 1080p).

Thanks for the info guys!
    What's your CPU?

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! CrazyJoe's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm one of those people that will be going back to the single GPU. I'm currently running 980's in SLI. No real problems to speak of except for some rather picky drivers from time to time. Been saving up and have an EVGA 1080ti FTW3 Elite on the way. Cutting my wattage usage ( GPU usage anyway ) in half. Name:  Thumbs_up.gif
Views: 96
Size:  834 Bytes