Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Laptop shopping!

Looking to finally aquire a gaming laptop. I've no problems buying used but idk what brands make "quality" laptops. Looking for either 970m/1050ti, 4th gen i7 or newer, at least 8GB of RAM, and 1tb HDD with or without SSD.

What are some models to hold over others? One I've found online being sold atm is Asus G751JT. Is that alright? Any brands to avoid and why?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_a_goat View Post
    Looking to finally aquire a gaming laptop. I've no problems buying used but idk what brands make "quality" laptops. Looking for either 970m/1050ti, 4th gen i7 or newer, at least 8GB of RAM, and 1tb HDD with or without SSD.

What are some models to hold over others? One I've found online being sold atm is Asus G751JT. Is that alright? Any brands to avoid and why?

MSI and ASUS make quality and good bang for a buck.
    Avoid DELL, ACER, HP and other garbage.

The only full truth in life, is Death. Symsyr's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    MSI and ASUS make quality and good bang for a buck.
    Avoid DELL, ACER, HP and other garbage.
    Acer's Predator line is actually really nice, but I do agree that you should avoid Dell (Alienware) and HP, though I haven't looked at their Omen series yet. Personally, I would go with MSI

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Symsyr View Post
    Acer's Predator line is actually really nice, but I do agree that you should avoid Dell (Alienware) and HP, though I haven't looked at their Omen series yet. Personally, I would go with MSI
    Meh, anything from ACER is just low quality meh. Also, their support is meh and full of meh bloatware. BIOS is so restricted. In any case it's just a headache.

ASUS has really good cooling solution and has better case quality.
    MSI has a little bit more performance components inside than ASUS but with lower case quality and a bit worse cooling solution.
    Both have great technical support. I've been using both for 15 years and never had any issues. I have an MSI 17" gaming laptop from company that I use for work and in 2 years it never had any hiccup and works outstanding. Then I had a few ASUS gaming laptops and only one of them had an issue with BIOS chip, which was replaced no questions asked by ASUS service in 1 day and service reps were really nice. My friend has two ASUS gaming laptops and none of them has any issues or whatsoever. The latest one that he got is the ASUS STRIX model, which has an awesome cooling solution and really nice built quality - the screen is really nice.

The only full truth in life, is Death. Symsyr's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    Meh, anything from ACER is just low quality meh. Also, their support is meh and full of meh bloatware. BIOS is so restricted. In any case it's just a headache.

ASUS has really good cooling solution and has better case quality.
    MSI has a little bit more performance components inside than ASUS but with lower case quality and a bit worse cooling solution.
    Both have great technical support. I've been using both for 15 years and never had any issues. I have an MSI 17" gaming laptop from company that I use for work and in 2 years it never had any hiccup and works outstanding. Then I had a few ASUS gaming laptops and only one of them had an issue with BIOS chip, which was replaced no questions asked by ASUS service in 1 day and service reps were really nice. My friend has two ASUS gaming laptops and none of them has any issues or whatsoever. The latest one that he got is the ASUS STRIX model, which has an awesome cooling solution and really nice built quality - the screen is really nice.
    The Acer I had was pretty good, but it was a few years ago and I really didn't use it for gaming. I only have one qualm with ASUS and it is trying to dual-boot. As for build quality, Asus and MSI are the best bets, though there is a Lenovo out there that is pretty nice as well, just forget the model of it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Symsyr View Post
    The Acer I had was pretty good, but it was a few years ago and I really didn't use it for gaming. I only have one qualm with ASUS and it is trying to dual-boot. As for build quality, Asus and MSI are the best bets, though there is a Lenovo out there that is pretty nice as well, just forget the model of it.
    The problem with Acer, DEL, HP and even Lenovo is that it's pain in the ass to maintain it yourself - like replace RAM, HDD, SSD etc.
    ASUS and MSI is easy to maintain, clean and upgrade with more RAM, SSD etc.
    There is no problem with Dual Boot on ASUS. Get a 17" laptop and you can add two SATA drives and M.2 drives.
    Also, ASUS and MSI they get constant updates to driver support and also BIOS.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ended up going with an ASUS ROG G751JT-Ch71 for $650. Looks sweet. Can't wait to try it out!

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ok, I'm going to ask you a simple question. Do you absolutely NEED a gaming laptop? Do you have a Job where you are away from home for more than a month away from your home desk? If the answer is no. Then you are wasting your money on investing in a Gaming Laptop. If the answer is Yes, then you have some good options.

Low-End: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834154525 This is going to be your cheap option for if you are just a lightweight gamer, things like CS:GO, LoL, HotS, Overwatch, etc. will run with no problems. But, don't expect Witcher 3 on Ultra settings at 60FPS.

Mid-End: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA65C58P0340 Another MSI laptop, This one will get you more bang for your buck, but the 1060 6GB seems to be a rare laptop install, so you can go for a less costly 1060 3GB if you are in need of the extra horsepower of a 1060, but only run at 60FPS.

High-End: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAAPK5AZ8222 Here's an Asus Strix laptop, This isn't the uber-high end. But it IS a 120hz display at 1080p with G-Sync, so games will both play smoothly and look gorgeous with a GTX 1070. But, you better be ready to pony up the cash.

Ultra-High-End: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834154325 This is currently the cheapest Gaming Laptop with a GTX 1080 inside it. If you really need the power of a 1080, I highly suggest a Mini-ITX PC if you need portability.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_a_goat View Post
    Ended up going with an ASUS ROG G751JT-Ch71 for $650. Looks sweet. Can't wait to try it out!

That's a nice laptop and the price is really good.