Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Need advice on laptop for school

Hey guys,

I really do not know too much about computers and thought I would come to the forums and ask for some help on which one i should purchase.

Currently i am thinking about buying the macbook pro 13" but would like suggestions on what you guys think would be best. I recently stumbled onto the razer blade
    stealth and that also seems to be a pretty decent set up for ~900 please reply with what you guys think would suite my needs best.

I am doing no video editing or anything like that, mainly need them to be smaller ( decently sized is OK, no super thick gaming laptops ) so that they are portable and will be doing mostly word processing and excel spreadsheets ( accounting major )

Thanks guys!

Drew

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I don't know a ton about it, but I would just be aware if you use a mac you're not going to have as easy of a time with software you might need for school. Personally never saw the point in buying one unless you are already more familiar with it than you are windows.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Pdthecliche's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Lenovo Thinkpad 13 sounds good for you, first and second gen run under, $700 I think? Idk, but moderately affordable. You can customize the second gen, but I believe they stopped 1st Gen customization, so you might only be able to buy a certain specced 1st Gen version.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Knee High to a Worms Ass Keijigamings's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

buy acer 21x xD

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have had an ACER for a few years with no issues..

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? Chandler's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

A tablet could be more suited for you, like an IPad Air 2 or Ipad (2017) or a semi decent android Tablet

Grab one of those, and use a keyboard cover for it,

Lighter, and has much better battery life than any laptop. Most likely has a better screen aswell. Sure it has an ARM CPU but most word and accounting applications are fully functional on their mobile versions.

I currently go to community college, and used to go to a tradeschool. I do Network Systems Administration and information data management. I own many laptops and have a decent PC, but I've always found it more convenient to haul around a lightweight tablet with me for word processing

Sure this'll get some fire, but sometimes- a simpler option is better

If you're not willing to get a tablet (I don't blame you) Consider buying something cheaper, like an Acer Swift 7, which is lightweight and has a nice keyboard (no backlighting though) or an LG Gram second gen, which is heavier but has a backlight keyboard and is more durable - Although it's still under three pounds

If you really want a Mac, I would just buy a standard MacBook, the one with the single USB C port as it's lightweight, has amazing battery life and nice speakers with a killer display. People may complain about the single port, but I don't see it as an issue.

Whatever you pick, make sure that you're going to be truly happy with it. If you're going to spend above $700, The product you will be purchasing shouldn't have any compromises that would make you unhappy.
    Last edited by Chandler; 06-15-2017 at 02:32 AM.

The bird of hermes is my name eating my own wings to make me tame ennry's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah I would definitely advise you to get a decent tablet since it's cost efficient and much more versatile due to ease of transport and well what can I say if you're thinking of gaming on your laptop I wouldn't advise it gaming on a laptop drastically take a shit on its life time and a mac Oh god 😂😂😂😂 well in the end the choice is yours mate :P

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would have to agree with most everyone here but IF you do go through with any purchase for school make sure You use it for just that.

Bogging any system down with things it is not intended for just cause waaay to many problems and as far as technology goes for school you just don't need that headache.

Cheers and let us know what you decide on always cool to share tech purchases!

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! snakedoc116's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I understand the size appeal of the 13" ultrabooks for portability, but I would seriously recommend you also take 15" screen size laptops into consideration. I'm into data science myself and 13" is just a little too small to comfortably edit excel spreadsheets and do programming on. It's not that it isn't possible or doesn't work, but it's just more comfortable doing that kind of work on a 15" laptop. A couple months ago I bought the new HP SPECTRE x360 for my work needs, and after a month of using it I went back to my old trusted 2011 Macbook Pro 15" because the larger size of the screen is just nicer.

If accounting and spreadsheets is all you do, 13" will drive you nuts.

Good luck with the purchase.

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? Chandler's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Snake has a very good point, while I and others are fine with small displays, typing can be admittedly a bit hard for me on a 9.7 or even a 13 inch screen, a 15 incher would make a good choice. Especially since 15 inch notebooks aren't that much more expensive than their 13 inch contemporaries.

Also Enrry, people sometimes just wish to buy a Mac, as they're well build and have amazing warranties and support, not to mention that they can hook into Apples ecosystem.. having the best IPS displays on the market don't hurt either, don't judge a company just because they wish to have their own walled garden ecosystem.

I personally own a Mac, and I have windows on it, and swap between OSX and Windows all the time, When I'm not typing on my Ipad using the keyboard cover, I'm using the Mac for graphic work and even gaming. That and I got 1.5tb of SSD storage and a 1440p IPS display for $500 cheaper than the contemporary name brand "Gaming laptop" with similar specs. Although in 2017 this has changed.. so my point doesn't stand

Not meaning to start an argument, just saying that we're all gamers, and shouldn't bash Mac users, Android Users, or even Blackberry 10 users.. We're all in it together <3

Can I have your Tots HavocTurbine's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Macs are best for school. They don't get viruses, slow down, or otherwise shit out on you. And the native software really comes in handy for those oddball projects where you need to do videos or recordings. I can't recommend them enough for school purposes. I also love the iWork suite of software over Microsoft Office, but that's personal preference (and you can still get Microsoft Office in addition to that). Of course, you're going to sacrifice access to certain gaming opportunities and may need to adapt to certain configuration issues when interacting with PCs (documents reformat, etc.). But other than that, they are very reliable. If you can swing it, I'd get a mac for class and a desktop PC rig for play.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! XDevilFruitX's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The 13.3" Razer blade stealth is looking pretty good. And if you can wait the EVE-V is looking to be a promising choice. I have a zenbook from 5 years ago and am currently running elementary is on it. I too am in a market for a new laptop as the zenbook keeps over heating.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I'm shorter than I'd like to admit CleavRhyme's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

As a student myself I've never found any apple product ever helpful for school in any way. Ofc Word, Excel etc works for it, but not as easy to use. Therefore I recommend a normal pc. Lenovo to be more precise. Not that expensive either

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Thesaurus's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_CleavRhyme View Post
    As a student myself I've never found any apple product ever helpful for school in any way. Ofc Word, Excel etc works for it, but not as easy to use. Therefore I recommend a normal pc. Lenovo to be more precise. Not that expensive either
    I have to second this about Apple, they're pretty and expensive and that's it - nothing special or unique that you can't do with a much much cheaper other brand. (I should say though that my brother ot a macbook in 2005 for college and that little white devil is still kicking at 100%, but I think apples quality has gone down since then as they move toward making devices that are designed to fail after a few years so consumers will continue re-buying them, which .... i guess is also a striek against apple. Yeah dont go with apple. Only time you would is if you were a Graphics Design major and even thats changing these days.)

I also have to second the Lenovo shoutout: I started college in 2012 for computer programming, got a Lenovo Z580 with a i7 processor. I used it as a desktop (plugged into monitor and kb+mouse) when at home and played all my video games on it up until just this past Januaray when i finally put together a proper gaming machine. It survived me lugging it across town to campus every day for 2 years, and being in my backpack during no less than 2 over-the-handlebar bike accidents. So Lenovo makes solid products that last in my experience.