If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Wrathzone505's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default I am a bit lost here and need help with deciding what ram to get for this MOBO...

Ok so I am planning on getting a new MOBO for my I5 7600K CPU next week I am looking at MSI Z270 GAMING M3 for my pick. I been looking at the supported ram on the MSI page and most everything I see is $200 to $300 for 2 8 gig dimms. That is a bit out of my price range for ram I would say I would like to spend $100 to $150 $200 at most. Is there any DDR4 16 gig ram out there that is compatible with that MOBO without breaking the bank and that is at least at a speed of 3000? I am still a slight noob when it comes to picking the correct PC parts and everything I seen so far says you can not just plop any DDR4 3000 ram on a MOBO and that it MUST be on the compatibility list. Any help will be greatly appreciated and if I can go higher than 3000 without going over budget I will.

P.S. If I really have to I will pick something lower than 3000 MHz

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Wrathzone505 View Post
    Ok so I am planning on getting a new MOBO for my I5 7600K CPU next week I am looking at MSI Z270 GAMING M3 for my pick. I been looking at the supported ram on the MSI page and most everything I see is $200 to $300 for 2 8 gig dimms. That is a bit out of my price range for ram I would say I would like to spend $100 to $150 $200 at most. Is there any DDR4 16 gig ram out there that is compatible with that MOBO without breaking the bank and that is at least at a speed of 3000? I am still a slight noob when it comes to picking the correct PC parts and everything I seen so far says you can not just plop any DDR4 3000 ram on a MOBO and that it MUST be on the compatibility list. Any help will be greatly appreciated and if I can go higher than 3000 without going over budget I will.

P.S. If I really have to I will pick something lower than 3000 MHz
    Not sure where are you looking at but according to this Memory Compatibility list for your Mobo on MSI website:
    https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/suppo...ml#support-mem

Pretty much any RAM is compatible with your mobo.

For example, these are pretty good, in terms of price and CAS Latency that cost only $129 for 2x8 modules. Total 16 GB
    https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...vengeance+3000

P.S. There is shit ton of 3000 Mhz 2x8 memory modules for under $150 on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...d=YMZPZFU03Z11

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

hmmm ok I was just confused because some said on the name of the item (Z170 and X99 platforms) and I looked at the Q&A section on some and some people where saying that it would not work for Z270. So if I got this correct pretty much any ram will work for that MOBO and I do not really have to worry about compatibility issues just so long I stay in the correct Mhz range? I am guessing just so long as it does not say in the name of the item Z170/X99 platforms?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Actually I think I will go with your suggestion thank you for the help and have a nice day :D

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

hmmm ok I was just confused because some said on the name of the item (Z170 and X99 platforms) and I looked at the Q&A section on some and some people where saying that it would not work for Z270. So if I got this correct pretty much any ram will work for that MOBO and I do not really have to worry about compatibility issues just so long I stay in the correct Mhz range? I am guessing just so long as it does not say in the name of the item Z170/X99 platforms?
    You need to check what says on your Motherboard Compatibility list. It doesn't matter what says on the Corsair, G.Skill, Mushkin etc website. As long as MSI has tested those modules with your MSI M3 board and is in that compatibility list you are good to go and pick one from that list.
    This list is exclusively for your Motherboard, which is a long ass list with 950 compatible modules: https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/suppo...ml#support-mem

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah I just figured out that you can search for the DIMM yourself in the search bar didin't notice that and was going through the list copying each different module and pasting it to newegg like a noob.... its been a really long day.....

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah I just figured out that you can search for the DIMM yourself in the search bar didin't notice that and was going through the list copying each different module and pasting it to newegg like a noob.... its been a really long day.....
    Yup. What I did is simply copied this number CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 from this Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Venge...vengeance+3000

then went to that MSI list and hit Ctrl+F for search, paste in that number, and check if it is in the list.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

haha yeah I was doing the opposite like a noob and was doing that for like at least an hour before making this thread lol

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That motherboard should accept pretty much any standard DD4 memory (DDR4 2133 or 2400). For overclocked RAM check with the manufacturer. Hope it works out.

That's my secret, Captain. I'm always day one. NevanNedall's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Try pcpartpicker.com, it filters out non-compatable parts to the best of its ability, letting you filter by price and other factors.