I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_DoomBringer's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Default Anyone have experience with the recent Intel Pentium CPUs in gaming?

Looking to build a new budget gaming rig and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the performance on some of the recently released pentium chips. Specifically I had been looking at the Pentium G4560 and G4600.

Was hoping to pair these with either a GTX 1060 6GB or 1070, and 16GB of RAM. I would prefer to stick with an intel CPU simply because the programs and games I use run more smoothly with intel rather than an AMD cpu.

Was hoping to be able to use one of these chips to game while saving some money to get a 1070 rather than an i5 paired with a 1060, if anyone has any experience with them/or can give me their reccomendations I would appreciate it.

Spoiler

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? ShadowCube's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Higby nanites (Planetside2 talk) the bottleneck. If you have the money for a 1060 or 1070, i5's and Ryzen 5's is the best option CPU wise

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DoomBringer View Post
    Looking to build a new budget gaming rig and was wondering if anyone has any experience with the performance on some of the recently released pentium chips. Specifically I had been looking at the Pentium G4560 and G4600.

Was hoping to pair these with either a GTX 1060 6GB or 1070, and 16GB of RAM. I would prefer to stick with an intel CPU simply because the programs and games I use run more smoothly with intel rather than an AMD cpu.

Was hoping to be able to use one of these chips to game while saving some money to get a 1070 rather than an i5 paired with a 1060, if anyone has any experience with them/or can give me their reccomendations I would appreciate it.
    I don't think G4560 will be enough to handle GTX 1060, not to even mention GTX 1070. It will be a huge bottleneck.
    I used to have i5 6600k OC to 4.4 Ghz and paired with GTX 1070 and still there was a slight bottleneck in some games even at 1080p and even more while using Oculus Rift. So, I upgraded to i7 7700k and everything runs buttery smooth now.

Your best option here would be to get i3 if you really want to cheap out on the CPU but I wouldn't recommend anything below i5.
    Although, Ryzen is doing pretty good in multitasking now. So, to save some money I would recommend to get Ryzen 5 instead of Intel. You will get more cores and threads. Also, as time moves on a lot of games are becoming more optimized for the new Ryzen architecture and Ryzen begins to kick ass to Intel.

So, either way, you will have to upgrade mobo and CPU. So, I would recommend get at least Ryzen 5 1500x and pair it with GTX 1070 and your PC will be golden.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_DoomBringer's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

I don't mind the CPU being a bottleneck as long as the game is still averaging around 60 FPS on games like overwatch, battlefield 4, titanfall and other similar titles on either 1080 or 1440p, since it would give me an upgrade path to something like an i5 7600k without having to replace the motherboard.

And I don't want to go with an AMD chip simply because the game I mainly play ARK simply does not perform well with AMD, as well as due to its poor optimizations quickly hits a gpu bottleneck way before hitting a cpu bottleneck.

The main reason I am interested in these chips is that they seem to be able to play most games average around 60fps or higer without becoming to big of a bottleneck based off of some of the bechmarks I have seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUapuF0y30s

Spoiler

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DoomBringer View Post
    I don't mind the CPU being a bottleneck as long as the game is still averaging around 60 FPS on games like overwatch, battlefield 4, titanfall and other similar titles on either 1080 or 1440p, since it would give me an upgrade path to something like an i5 7600k without having to replace the motherboard.

And I don't want to go with an AMD chip simply because the game I mainly play ARK simply does not perform well with AMD, as well as due to its poor optimizations quickly hits a gpu bottleneck way before hitting a cpu bottleneck.

The main reason I am interested in these chips is that they seem to be able to play most games average around 60fps or higer without becoming to big of a bottleneck based off of some of the bechmarks I have seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUapuF0y30s
    Well look at those FPS spikes G4560 paired with GTX 1070 in ARK. With GTX 1070 That will be even worse since GTX 1070 is 40% more powerful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0rSLRxFUZY

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I RavenSCO's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

at £850 check out the new Intel i9 CPUs