Thread: New monitor

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies sNaKe's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default New monitor

Ok, so it looks like it is the 3rd thread regarding a monitor but everybody has their own desires.

I am looking for a monitor that has everything at a decent price, something like I want a job where to sit at home and get s**t loads of money.

Soooo...I am looking for something within the £500/$650 price range with the following specs:

IPS, 1440, over 100Khz and I wouldn't say no to G-Sync as the next graphic car will most probably be Nvidia.

The question which makes the difference is for those who are professional/have advanced knowledge in graphic design/photography. IPS monitors have a better color accuracy comparing to the TN one which wash out colours. So the question is:

Is it possible to achieve good colour quality calibrating a TN monitor (using a Spider 4 Pro for example) or it will never get close to the IPS ones? I would like answers from those who've done this as I will also use the monitor for photo editing and a lot of Photoshop.

The the only monitor which has all the specs that I could find within the budget is this Acer

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sqp...onitor-xf270hu

It's not the best design (glossy areas and ugly-ish stand) but with this specs who cares?! Do any of you have it or heard anything about it (feedback from others)?

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Sorry for the long post, but it's quite an expensive investment for the future and I'd like to make a good one for both gaming (Rainbow 6 mainly) and professional use.

Thanks!

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector effectiv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default New monitor

I do quite a bit of graphic design on my BenQ TN panel. Color accuracy is just fine if you know how to calibrate it, but not bad out of the box either.

It comes down to the panel itself whether it has good color accuracy or not. You can't just assume all IPS panels will have the same colors, or any monitor for that matter. I have my panel calibrated pretty accurately and think the colors I get on it are much more detailed than my wife's IPS panel.

Do you want to go ultra wide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_sNaKe View Post

Is it possible to achieve good colour quality calibrating a TN monitor (using a Spider 4 Pro for example) or it will never get close to the IPS ones? I would like answers from those who've done this as I will also use the monitor for photo editing and a lot of Photoshop.
    Yes, I use BenQ XL2411 144 Hz TN panel monitor and the colors are great once set in Photo mode. I'm using Photo mode even while gaming as everything just looks nicer that way. Looks better than my old 60Hz IPS monitor from LG.
    Check out new BenQ Zowie lineup, they have really good monitors out there and are widely used also in eSports.
    Last edited by ZED; 09-04-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy SmokingBarrel's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I just went through this very decision. For me the larger benefit of the IPS is the viewing angle. When you start going larger on TN, the edges look off to me. I don't even know how to calibrate the screen haha. I ended up with the Viewsonic XG2703-GS. I have had it for a couple weeks now and I am very pleased. I came from a 24" IPS that was 60Hz. I love the extra space. I never noticed tearing before I got dumb eyes. But its just outside your budget at $699.

This one is just under your budget. https://www.amazon.com/AOC-AG271QG-G...n%3A6570749011
    This one is just barely over. https://www.amazon.com/OMEN-HP-27-Mo...n%3A6570749011

If you decide to go TN, there are many panels well within your budget.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_SmokingBarrel View Post
    I just went through this very decision. For me the larger benefit of the IPS is the viewing angle. When you start going larger on TN, the edges look off to me.
    I don't have that on my monitor. Looking right now at 75 degree angle and it's still good and no color change.
    When it comes to TN panel I wouldn't recommend anything but BenQ or ASUS.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeahhh....I was looking at BenQ but for now, I'm still not convinced about the TN as the output distribution over the panel is not as uniform as an IPS. I don't care about viewing angles as I am always going to look perpendicular on it.

I'm still waiting for other opinions :D Thanks for the feedback that I got till now.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeahhh....I was looking at BenQ but for now, I'm still not convinced about the TN as the output distribution over the panel is not as uniform as an IPS. I don't care about viewing angles as I am always going to look perpendicular on it.

I'm still waiting for other opinions :D Thanks for the feedback that I got till now.
    If you're REALLY picky about it for editing, you can always just look up the Adobe RGB color accuracy for the monitor. Dell is very good about making specific panels that are 99+% accurate as far as this goes. Not all Dell monitors will have these features, and good luck finding one with decent refresh rate and response time for under your price range. I also believe Acer has jumped on the color accuracy bandwagon as well. If you want to take a look at some of the art I make, check the Warframe Dojo forum out. I have some samples there and requests for signatures I've filled. I made them on my TN panel. Just note that I also do work in Illustrator and don't limit myself to forum signatures.

If you want best of both worlds, more and more high refresh rate IPS monitors are coming out. I'd just hang tight and get one of those if they go on sale. Ultrawides are also sweeping the market right now in popularity, but come at a premium because they're newer. A 100hz 4k Ultrawide would set you back about $1300. Wait for one to drop in price/go on sale. I've seen them drop a couple hundred bucks.

I honestly think it's a bad time to buy a monitor right now. If you buy something that works now, it'll be outdated when ultrawides drop in price, because once that happens everything else will most likely drop in price as well.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the advice! I will probably wait one or 2 more months before buying it though the urge is big :)) I'm not such a big fan of ultrawide and it will definitely not be a 4k one as I don't think I need one and as you mentioned it is over $1000 a good one. I was so happy that I found that Acer but better wait a little bit longer till the prices drop or something new comes out. I hate waiting and I hate to take decisions because after buying it I'll be "there is something better out there", even though I'll be happy with it :))

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the advice! I will probably wait one or 2 more months before buying it though the urge is big :)) I'm not such a big fan of ultrawide and it will definitely not be a 4k one as I don't think I need one and as you mentioned it is over $1000 a good one. I was so happy that I found that Acer but better wait a little bit longer till the prices drop or something new comes out. I hate waiting and I hate to take decisions because after buying it I'll be "there is something better out there", even though I'll be happy with it :))
    It will definitely be worth it man.

And don't get me wrong, there are some cheaper 144hz that I've found as far as ultrawides go. This one fits into your budget (it's also IPS 144hz) - https://www.amazon.com/LG-34UC79G-B-...ords=ultrawide. I'd seriously go look at some videos of them. They're fantastic. They're replacing multi monitor setups, give you more working space, and let you see more in game without compromising quality.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Looks amazing but I'm not ready for an ultrawide as I find more advantages from a multi monitor setup. I'll be back in one or 2 months to this topic if nobody convinces me with an amazing monitor.

Knee High to a Worms Ass sunfree's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon6 why do you chose BenQ SW2700PT?

Ok, so it looks like it is the 3rd thread regarding a monitor but everybody has their own desires.

I am looking for a monitor that has everything at a decent price, something like I want a job where to sit at home and get s**t loads of money.

Soooo...I am looking for something within the £500/$650 price range with the following specs:

IPS, 1440, over 100Khz and I wouldn't say no to G-Sync as the next graphic car will most probably be Nvidia.

The question which makes the difference is for those who are professional/have advanced knowledge in graphic design/photography. IPS monitors have a better color accuracy comparing to the TN one which wash out colours. So the question is:

The the only monitor which has all the specs that I could find within the budget is this Acer

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/sqp...onitor-xf270hu

It's not the best design (glossy areas and ugly-ish stand) but with this specs who cares?! Do any of you have it or heard anything about it (feedback from others)?

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Sorry for the long post, but it's quite an expensive investment for the future and I'd like to make a good one for both gaming (Rainbow 6 mainly) and professional use.

Thanks!
    why do you chose BenQ SW2700PT?
    BenQ SW2700PT
    27″/ips/Matte
    2560×1440
    1.07 billion
    5 ms
    10-bit color depth +14 bit LUT

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Kelthus's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I did not see this linked but I use this list as a good starting point.

144hz Monitors

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by sunfree View Post
    why do you chose BenQ SW2700PT?
    BenQ SW2700PT
    27″/ips/Matte
    2560×1440
    1.07 billion
    5 ms
    10-bit color depth +14 bit LUT
    Well, for starters it is £610 in the UK and it doesn't have that great reviews. From the presentation and how it looks, it is an amazing monitor but it is over the budget and a lot of people are complaining about it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Kelthus View Post
    I did not see this linked but I use this list as a good starting point.

144hz Monitors
    I came across this website but at the moment what I like are too expensive. Thanks!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon6 Best-MONITOR-under-500-dollars

I came across this website but at the moment what I like are too expensive. Thanks!
    This site has loads of selection with decent prices
    https://pc4u.org/best-laptop-under-500-dollars/

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon6

This site has loads of selection with decent prices
    https://pc4u.org/best-laptop-under-500-dollars/
    Sorry, I published a wrong link, the link should be https://pc4u.org/best-gaming-monitor/, for your needs, I recommend ViewSonic XG2703-GS and Acer Predator XB271HU, both have IPS panel and support G-SYNC, 2560x1440, 144hz, great for gaming and photo editing.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sorry, I published a wrong link, the link should be https://pc4u.org/best-gaming-monitor/, for your needs, I recommend ViewSonic XG2703-GS and Acer Predator XB271HU, both have IPS panel and support G-SYNC, 2560x1440, 144hz, great for gaming and photo editing.
    Well, booth monitors are over £500. Didn't hear about ViewSonic till I started the search for a monitor. Are they any good?

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy SmokingBarrel's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have the Viewsonic XG2703-GS, its an amazing monitor so far for the couple months I have had it. My only complaint is the volume of the speaker is too low at max setting. But I got headphones so no real big deal. Also its actually a 165Hz panel. Probably overclocked.