Wired to modem - 2130 EST

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector effectiv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd contact the ISP and tell them you're not getting your provisioned speed. Getting 1 mbit down in some cases? That's not good service. Something is up with the drop going to your home/building or your modem.

I can understand high-traffic times getting you like maybe 5-10mbit less, but 100x lower than what you're paying for is not normal at all.

If the modem is controlled by your ISP, have them replace it. If it's yours, go to Bestbuy and pick a cable modem up, hook it up and test to see if it fixes your issue. If it doesn't, return it and call your ISP. Bestbuy has a 15 day return policy even if you used the item.

I guarantee calling Charter will be about a 10-15 minute call after you're connected to a person. All their call-center support will ask you to do is reboot the modem/router and if it doesn't fix your issue, they send a tech out. When I had their Spectrum service in Texas, I asked an agent one day if that's the only thing they're capable of and she said yes. It's pretty pathetic, but after the techs came out my service was good to go. Charter is a decent ISP, but their support over the phone sucks.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_effectiv View Post
    I'd contact the ISP and tell them you're not getting your provisioned speed. Getting 1 mbit down in some cases? That's not good service. Something is up with the drop going to your home/building or your modem.

I can understand high-traffic times getting you like maybe 5-10mbit less, but 100x lower than what you're paying for is not normal at all.

If the modem is controlled by your ISP, have them replace it. If it's yours, go to Bestbuy and pick a cable modem up, hook it up and test to see if it fixes your issue. If it doesn't, return it and call your ISP. Bestbuy has a 15 day return policy even if you used the item.

I guarantee calling Charter will be about a 10-15 minute call after you're connected to a person. All their call-center support will ask you to do is reboot the modem/router and if it doesn't fix your issue, they send a tech out. When I had their Spectrum service in Texas, I asked an agent one day if that's the only thing they're capable of and she said yes. It's pretty pathetic, but after the techs came out my service was good to go. Charter is a decent ISP, but their support over the phone sucks.
    yea I had to call them back when they installed, basically still charged me for the wifi service even though I clearly checked the box no. The guy even had to wait for me to find my power cord for that old router so I know he knew I was on my own network lol. I'll start that train soon, probably next Friday when I have no classes.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Interesting so this is the wired to the router, its not possible to throttle the ports only if a packet encapsulated from a router was trying to go through is it?

wired to modem slightly later

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

LOL and this is the wireless from the font

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Replacement Wireless Antennas?

You can try turning the DMZ on in your router to see if the speeds regulate... but since your testing plugged directly into the modem produced terrible results, we can just go ahead and assume that the problem lies in 1/2/3 of 3 places.
    1) wired drop from the node to your home/building
    2) splitters (you have them somewhere)
    3) modem

My troubleshooting would go backwards from 3 to 1. Try replacing the modem, if it doesn’t help, move to the splitter. If the new splitter doesn’t help, isp is gonna have to come out because it’s probably on them. At the very least they’d be able to check what the signal is like to the node.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You can try turning the DMZ on in your router to see if the speeds regulate... but since your testing plugged directly into the modem produced terrible results, we can just go ahead and assume that the problem lies in 1/2/3 of 3 places.
    1) wired drop from the node to your home/building
    2) splitters (you have them somewhere)
    3) modem

My troubleshooting would go backwards from 3 to 1. Try replacing the modem, if it doesn’t help, move to the splitter. If the new splitter doesn’t help, isp is gonna have to come out because it’s probably on them. At the very least they’d be able to check what the signal is like to the node.

So you mentioned the other day to go to say bestbuy, try a modem of my own. If that works great, tell Charter to fix their crap and send it back to bestbuy. If that doesn't work, tell charter to fix their crap and send it back to bestbuy ?

Do I need anything with my own modem ? Frequency modulation etc ?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Darkn3ss F4lls View Post
    So you mentioned the other day to go to say bestbuy, try a modem of my own. If that works great, tell Charter to fix their crap and send it back to bestbuy. If that doesn't work, tell charter to fix their crap and send it back to bestbuy ?

Do I need anything with my own modem ? Frequency modulation etc ?

To be honest I don’t even look at modem levels. The levels have to be within a certain margin or the internet just won’t work. The problem could be the modem itself or the lines/splitter.

It’s always good to rule out probable causes. If you have a bestbuy near you, yes, you can go get a modem and try it. If it works, keep it. If it doesn’t, return it within their return policy then call the ISP.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

To be honest I don’t even look at modem levels. The levels have to be within a certain margin or the internet just won’t work. The problem could be the modem itself or the lines/splitter.

It’s always good to rule out probable causes. If you have a bestbuy near you, yes, you can go get a modem and try it. If it works, keep it. If it doesn’t, return it within their return policy then call the ISP.

Just shot some videos of the topology basically. I can't see what it looks like from the window to where ever this 100 unit complex gets connected to the world.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If Charter is throughout your apartment complex you may be able to get your apartment maintenance team to get Charter to come out.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If Charter is throughout your apartment complex you may be able to get your apartment maintenance team to get Charter to come out.

Doubtful, been here two months :P they haven't fixed my windows from the last guy lol. I'll have a chat with the office today. See if there's anything they can do on their end.

You are depriving some poor village of its idiot AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

I'd guess your router is FUBAR...

Fluctuations in speed like that tend to be a physical failure of hardware. We see similar when the modems we supply customers start to fail. High packet loss and instability on the lines.

WiFi or wired seems irrelevant as you get drops on both and it's not isolated.

Acquire/Borrow a router from someone else. Keep it barebones and minimal configuration. See if you still have issues. What we want to test is consistency rather than speeds. An older router may get slower speeds than your best, but if it gets them 24/7 that's a better outcome.

If the problem persists see if you can get the ISP to send out a new Modem.

When testing do so without any switches plugged in.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BritishBob View Post
    I'd guess your router is FUBAR...

Fluctuations in speed like that tend to be a physical failure of hardware. We see similar when the modems we supply customers start to fail. High packet loss and instability on the lines.

WiFi or wired seems irrelevant as you get drops on both and it's not isolated.

Acquire/Borrow a router from someone else. Keep it barebones and minimal configuration. See if you still have issues. What we want to test is consistency rather than speeds. An older router may get slower speeds than your best, but if it gets them 24/7 that's a better outcome.

If the problem persists see if you can get the ISP to send out a new Modem.

When testing do so without any switches plugged in.
    Thanks bob, most of those tests were done wired to the modem. I did the day long test wired to the modem. Which was new out of the box "" 08/05/17. Cat 6 to the desktop in the back was new as of that test.

I think where I am going to have a interesting time is I wonder if the apartment has ran this cable to my window or if spectrum did it.

You are depriving some poor village of its idiot AOD Member AOD_BritishBob's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Thanks bob, most of those tests were done wired to the modem. I did the day long test wired to the modem. Which was new out of the box "" 08/05/17. Cat 6 to the desktop in the back was new as of that test.

I think where I am going to have a interesting time is I wonder if the apartment has ran this cable to my window or if spectrum did it.

We recently RMA'd a Modem as it was damaged/failing out of the box. Packet loss and connection drops straight after we pulled the plastic off the thing. A modem is far easier to test/diagnose than a possible cabiling issue in the walls...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BritishBob View Post
    We recently RMA'd a Modem as it was damaged/failing out of the box. Packet loss and connection drops straight after we pulled the plastic of the thing. A modem is far easier to test/diagnose than a possible cabiling issue in the walls...
    Yea, going to call the company on Friday and basically explain the issue of speed fluctuation even during off hours. Sometimes so bad that I can't even browse to google.com.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Replacement Wireless Antennas?

I’ve had a lot of issues with cabling (splitters, cable at the drop) from Charter. Not ruling the modem out obviously, because you haven’t tried a new one yet. But there are a lot more factors you wouldn’t think would be factors when it comes to signal loss.

Erosion, water leaks into the splitter, mice chewing on cables, or just bad performance at the node in your neighborhood. You better hope and pray it’s not the last one I listed because it took them MONTHS to fix it.

The only thing you can troubleshoot is the modem. If you’re still getting bad speeds then you know it’s not the modem and the ISP needs to come fix their stuff.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So I didn't get a chance to call them yet. Looking downstairs though this is probably a ball of fun joy. Traced the cables out of the room under my apartment and down the hallway around the corner haha. Can't see into the box that the cables on the right go into though but I'm guessing its similar in ball of joyness.

Last edited by Darkn3ss F4lls; 10-08-2017 at 09:18 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So I didn't get a chance to call them yet. Looking downstairs though this is probably a ball of fun joy. Traced the cables out of the room under my apartment and down the hallway around the corner haha. Can't see into the box that the cables on the right go into though but I'm guessing its similar in ball of joyness.

Can’t see the photo, but if each apartment is connected to a hub within the complex then there’s a good chance that stuff hasn’t been changed or maintained. ISP can fix it but they’ll have to send someone out.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Can’t see the photo, but if each apartment is connected to a hub within the complex then there’s a good chance that stuff hasn’t been changed or maintained. ISP can fix it but they’ll have to send someone out.

You can't see the picture? Like 404 or ?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You can't see the picture? Like 404 or ?

I’m at work. Firewall has blocked a lot of the image hosting sites. I went on mobile data and saw the picture. I can pretty much guarantee those splitters/connections haven’t been touched for a long time. If the problem isn’t in that box it’s between that box and the drop 100%

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234