Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! GeneralWhale's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default 8th generation Intel Performance

I love the numbers I’m seeing I’ve always been a team blue fan but didn’t like there prices. The i5-8400 looks really good for price per performance.

Images credit: LinusTechTips on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector effectiv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_GeneralWhale View Post
    I love the numbers I’m seeing I’ve always been a team blue fan but didn’t like there prices. The i5-8400 looks really good for price per performance.

Images credit: LinusTechTips on YouTube

Should have posted some of the gaming performance benchmarks too. Full video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJOnwF8mgXc&index=51

I'm getting the 8400 for my wife. Hands down. 8700k for me most likely, unless they come up with something better before next year.

Most ridiculous jump we've seen from Intel in a decade. Thanks Ryzen, but the ball is in your court now. Intel has your number. Hopefully they have something up their sleeve to keep the two competing like this.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yea I’m definitely going to be getting an 8400

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yea I’m definitely going to be getting an 8400

That much performance out of an i5 man...that's so sick. I may just say screw it and get the 8600k and OC it.. but idk yet. I like to do productive tasks that may benefit from the 12 threads on the 8700k...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yea I guess

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'll skip this. It's a way too hot chip. Kaby Lake is hot but this one is even more hotter. Looking forward to Cannon Lake.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_effectiv View Post
    Should have posted some of the gaming performance benchmarks too. Full video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJOnwF8mgXc&index=51

I'll stick to my i7 7700k until Cannon Lake :-)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    I'll stick to my i7 7700k until Cannon Lake :-)
    For 7700k users, sure. I can see that. As far as thermals go, Linus said there maybe be a software bug because they got lower temps at 5Ghz than at stock.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For 7700k users, sure. I can see that. As far as thermals go, Linus said there maybe be a software bug because they got lower temps at 5Ghz than at stock.
    I saw some other reviews complaining about 8700k temps, higher than 7700k. They were really high even with 280mm AIO cooler.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    I saw some other reviews complaining about 8700k temps, higher than 7700k. They were really high even with 280mm AIO cooler.
    Again, potential software bug. Let’s see what happens. Time will tell.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Again, potential software bug. Let’s see what happens. Time will tell.

86C at 4.8 Ghz and 90C at 5Ghz doesn't sound like a software bug. Also, lowering voltage helped to reduce temperature to 75C at 4.8 Ghz but won't run at 5 Ghz with such low voltage.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well you are getting 5.0 Ghz so I’m not surprised that it’s that temperature

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well you are getting 5.0 Ghz so I’m not surprised that it’s that temperature

but at 4.8 Ghz it's running 80+
    Keep in mind that's only 100 Mhz overclock over the Boost Clock 4.7 Ghz.
    I don't think there is any software bug or whatsoever. Same thing was and is with Kaby Lake. Coffee Lake is just a Kaby Lake with extra two cores and 4 threads. It may be a good upgrade for those who run something like Haswell or someone who runs i5 but wants i7 but definitely not a wise upgrade for those who have Skylake or Kaby Lake. While performance is gaming i7 7700k and i7 8700k have pretty much identical, personally, I'll wait for Cannon Lake to do the upgrade, which will be rather more larger upgrade since Cannon Lake will be based on 10nm unlike Coffee Lake, Kaby Lake and Skylake on 14nm.
    Last edited by ZED; 10-08-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm getting the 8400 for my wife. Hands down. 8700k for me most likely, unless they come up with something better before next year.

Most ridiculous jump we've seen from Intel in a decade. Thanks Ryzen, but the ball is in your court now. Intel has your number. Hopefully they have something up their sleeve to keep the two competing like this.
    I would, if you are willing to stay Team Blue, get her a 8600k and see how high you can push it. It will stay relavent longer than the 8400, and get more performance per dollar due to Overclocking.

Personally, I am still on the Ryzen Train. I need it for Streaming, and I don't care what kind of metrics people are using. AMD is still winning this battle. The AM4 Socket and the Chipsets it uses are going to stay on the market for a much longer period of time. Intel keeps forcing people to buy new motherboards to go up in generations for processors (Kabylake and Skylake can't run on Z370 even though they are on the exact same Socket, WTF Intel?) Whereas X370 and B350, and even A320 are going to be usable for Zen+ and Zen 2, and possibly even Zen 2+ which is roadmapped to be 2020. 3 Generations all on one socket and Chipset set? Heck yea!

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! N3URAL's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

http://www.pcgamer.com/intels-8th-ge...n-performance/

yep, i5-8400 came in second behind the i7-8700K stock & OC...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    I would, if you are willing to stay Team Blue, get her a 8600k and see how high you can push it. It will stay relavent longer than the 8400, and get more performance per dollar due to Overclocking.

Personally, I am still on the Ryzen Train. I need it for Streaming, and I don't care what kind of metrics people are using. AMD is still winning this battle. The AM4 Socket and the Chipsets it uses are going to stay on the market for a much longer period of time. Intel keeps forcing people to buy new motherboards to go up in generations for processors (Kabylake and Skylake can't run on Z370 even though they are on the exact same Socket, WTF Intel?) Whereas X370 and B350, and even A320 are going to be usable for Zen+ and Zen 2, and possibly even Zen 2+ which is roadmapped to be 2020. 3 Generations all on one socket and Chipset set? Heck yea!
    Supporting the same socket for 10 years is why AMD fell off the map. Bulldozer was hyped to be basically what Ryzen was and it fell on its face. It wasn’t until they released a new socket that they actually achieved something significant.

I don’t care to use the same processor for 10 years, because I know that the programs and games in 10 years will surpass what my system is capable of. I’d rather upgrade every 2-3 with newer technology that I can use than be held back by a company that refuses to update their platform. If they find a way to do that without making people change their motherboards, that’ll be a first for the most part. But even then, most people will not want to have the same setup for that long.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Supporting the same socket for 10 years is why AMD fell off the map. Bulldozer was hyped to be basically what Ryzen was and it fell on its face. It wasn’t until they released a new socket that they actually achieved something significant.

I don’t care to use the same processor for 10 years, because I know that the programs and games in 10 years will surpass what my system is capable of. I’d rather upgrade every 2-3 with newer technology that I can use than be held back by a company that refuses to update their platform. If they find a way to do that without making people change their motherboards, that’ll be a first for the most part. But even then, most people will not want to have the same setup for that long.

I'd rather have the longest lasting processor that can keep rolling with the punches so that I can save up over time for when it stops being competitive with new hardware over a new architecture every 2 to 3 years that i'm forced to buy a new motherboard to support my new processor even though the only thing different is the Chipset.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    I'd rather have the longest lasting processor that can keep rolling with the punches so that I can save up over time for when it stops being competitive with new hardware over a new architecture every 2 to 3 years that i'm forced to buy a new motherboard to support my new processor even though the only thing different is the Chipset.
    Unless you’re an engineer working on the processors you can’t really hold that against them. People wanted higher core count processors, they’re giving them to people. If that requires a socket upgrade then so be it. Sometimes you can’t physically support something without changing the physical properties of something. They’re not wizards.

You like Ryzen. I like Ryzen too, but I’m not going to ignore facts. The 8700k just beasted their entire lineup. AMD needs to react now. The gap will probably widen over the time that AMD supports the same chipset. Saying 1 processor lineup will be relevant for 10 years and will “trade blows” down the line is exactly the kind of thing that people bought into with Bulldozer. We saw how that worked out.

If AMD does react, we will see further improvements from both parties. It’s apparent these two companies were capable of releasing something great for a long time. They need to keep the ball rolling. Them fighting for the top will only lead to us getting more performance for a better price. There is no clear winner, because it will most likely shift to whoever released their product last.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Unless you’re an engineer working on the processors you can’t really hold that against them. People wanted higher core count processors, they’re giving them to people. If that requires a socket upgrade then so be it. Sometimes you can’t physically support something without changing the physical properties of something. They’re not wizards.

You like Ryzen. I like Ryzen too, but I’m not going to ignore facts. The 8700k just beasted their entire lineup. AMD needs to react now. The gap will probably widen over the time that AMD supports the same chipset. Saying 1 processor lineup will be relevant for 10 years and will “trade blows” down the line is exactly the kind of thing that people bought into with Bulldozer. We saw how that worked out.

If AMD does react, we will see further improvements from both parties. It’s apparent these two companies were capable of releasing something great for a long time. They need to keep the ball rolling. Them fighting for the top will only lead to us getting more performance for a better price. There is no clear winner, because it will most likely shift to whoever released their product last.

This is a very true and sad reality of PC parts. There will almost never be a clear winner in the CPU market because it changes so often. Thankfully the GPU market has stabilized more and Nvidia is still the pretty clear cut winner in both Value (1050Ti has gotten much better compared to the 570 with new driver revisions) and Performance (1080Ti is still the undisputed king of the Gaming GPU market, Vega 64 Liquid Cooled can't even hold a candle to it!)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I totally agree on that. I'd like to add also that there are other many reasons why one has to upgrade motherboard over time besides upgrading CPU. Hence, new features, such as new RAM generation, PCI-E, USB, SATA and other. Hence, while AMD Bulldozer was still running on DDR3, Intel users been using DDR4 for like two years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast