Did you hit him? Did you hit him again? Samiam_Jr's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    If you need help updating BIOS, let me know, we can get on TS.
    I have most of tomorrow off so I'll meet you in TS!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Samiam_Jr View Post
    I have most of tomorrow off so I'll meet you in TS!
    I have all day off since it's Canadian Thanks Giving Day but at some point I'll be out.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Oh, You have a 4670K! That's easy to get a Motherboard Replacement!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813157501

This is the cheapest that will work with your CPU, However I would recommend a complete CPU Replacement to a Ryzen 5 with a B350 Motherboard (Obviously some new RAM too because DDR3 and DDR4 is not interchangable) which would give you a major improvement in speeds. Would it be more expensive than this Motherboard replacement? Yes. Would it be worthwhile in the long run? Absolutely! The Ryzen Platform is going to be around for a long time, and so I highly recommend upgrading to it especially in your case.

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector effectiv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KaosC57 View Post
    Oh, You have a 4670K! That's easy to get a Motherboard Replacement!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813157501

This is the cheapest that will work with your CPU, However I would recommend a complete CPU Replacement to a Ryzen 5 with a B350 Motherboard (Obviously some new RAM too because DDR3 and DDR4 is not interchangable) which would give you a major improvement in speeds. Would it be more expensive than this Motherboard replacement? Yes. Would it be worthwhile in the long run? Absolutely! The Ryzen Platform is going to be around for a long time, and so I highly recommend upgrading to it especially in your case.
    The 4670k will still be more than sufficient for his needs. He stated earlier in his thread he needs to save money, so why recommend he spend $400+ on an upgrade when he can buy a $120 motherboard and do the same thing, if not better, on his current setup? He just wants to play games. DDR4 RAM speed increases don't give any noticeable performance in game (1-3 fps maybe?). A Ryzen 5 processor wouldn't be a night and day performance difference coming from a Devils Canyon i5. To be honest, I'd expect the 4670 to pull ahead in a lot of gaming benchmarks at stock speeds. The gaming industry is still in a state where it favors single core performance. Upgrading for him, right now, doesn't sound like it's in his best interest.

Unless he's running VM's or doing a lot of video encoding, the best route for him is to stick with a $120 part replacement and call it a day. The 4670 is still more than efficient to game at reasonably high quality. He'd see more of a performance increase going from the 770 to a 1060/1070 rather than a complete overhaul of his main hardware.

Sam, I'd snatch up the motherboard in that link or find something you like better on Amazon. If you need help with picking one out we can talk about it. It really seems like they're being phased out. Buying a new one from a reputable source is the route I'd go for. So if you have $100-120 I'd decide on one quick.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am on now and am getting an empty flash drive.

If the BIOS Update does not fix it, would it be adverse for me to use the PC while I wait for the new MoBo? I am sure I can get it to turn on and keep it running so I can use it, but would that damage any of the other components?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Bios updated and it seems to be running fine.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Special shout out to Zed who came on to TS a few times to help me.

I'll post here if anything acts up again. Time to go try some games!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Bios updated and it seems to be running fine.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Special shout out to Zed who came on to TS a few times to help me.

I'll post here if anything acts up again. Time to go try some games!
    Haha! So, after BIOS update everything boots fine?
    I'm so glad you don't have to buy a new mobo :-)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Haha! So, after BIOS update everything boots fine?
    I'm so glad you don't have to buy a new mobo :-)
    So far so good. I restarted ot 3 times in a row with bare-bones, then I put all my components back in and it has worked just fine. Fingers cross that that is all it was.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So far so good. I restarted ot 3 times in a row with bare-bones, then I put all my components back in and it has worked just fine. Fingers cross that that is all it was.
    Awesome! If so far it's been good, I guess that was the case. Fingers crossed!

Can I have your Tots KingOfLlamaNugs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

is it that your memory sticks appear to be installed next to each other instead of being installed in every other slot like they should be? There are many different procedures for bringing the board back like removing cmos battery, reseat the CPU, use different slot for memory etc.

Can I have your Tots KingOfLlamaNugs's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Your GPU really bottlenecks your CPU, due to your GPU being at 99% your CPU is only able to go up around 55%

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_KingOfLlamaNugs View Post
    Your GPU really bottlenecks your CPU, due to your GPU being at 99% your CPU is only able to go up around 55%
    What do you mean the GPU is at %99?

And the memory sticks are in the correct positions.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What do you mean the GPU is at %99?

And the memory sticks are in the correct positions.
    I think he is talking about that video that I posted.

Yeah, memory sticks are correct. I checked yesterday with your pictures and user manual for your mobo that I downloaded from ASUS website.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

No, GPU is not bottlenecking the CPU. That's not how it works. Games these days are designed to utilize GPU for rendering graphics. Thus it is vital to have GPU run at its full capacity to get best performance out of it. CPU utilization on the other hand is different story. CPU is needed to process all other data that GPU doesn't do. Some games may require a lot of CPU processing power and some don't. It depends how game is optimized just like every other software. So, having a low CPU usage is good for the stable and smooth gameplay but having it at 99% is where the bottleneck starts to appear. Thus, if you have 99% of CPU usage then your CPU is bottlenecking the whole system including GPU. As a result, you get FPS spikes and dips and stuttering or even game freezes.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

is it that your memory sticks appear to be installed next to each other instead of being installed in every other slot like they should be? There are many different procedures for bringing the board back like removing cmos battery, reseat the CPU, use different slot for memory etc.
    The issue has been fixed.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Could be a few issues I can think of depending if the pc is custom built.

1.) Faulty Power Supply, not sure on this, but it could be between the PSU, and the molex cable that goes from the power supply to the devices?

Do you set it up like I do?

. One Connector to power 4-5 fans max on the pc (If not using motherboard headers.)
    . A second one to power the Hard Drives
    . A third to power the ODD / CD Drives / other accessories
    . And the fourth I would assume they would be sata connectors to power the drives

Do you have the specs on the power supply, how many rails, and maximum amps per rail are they configured and optimized per rail?

2.) The second issue, how many fans are you running per motherboard header, (Do not go above 1 Amp) always keep it a bit below 1 amp for example each fan takes 0.30 amps, do not use above 3 fans on each header in general but always check amps on each different model of fan being used all of them should be the same. going above 1 amp can result in failure of the board.

3.) Mosfet failure, I have never experienced a motherboard failure in my life, well only one (Because my Cold Plate on my CPU cooler was touching the heat-sink attatched to the mosfet completely caused condensation over about a 2 years and the system eventually failed because of this caused it to short out. (This is often over-looked for motherboard failures) the PC will usually turn on and then turn off as a result, which could also cause damage to other parts in the CPU, or possibly it will come on and work for awhile or not come on at all.

The VGA_LED light on my MoBo is a steady red. Not to sure what that means or how to fix it. I think it is pertinent though.
    If the VGA light is on the Video Card depending which one this could point to a failure within the Power Supply I would think, hard to say because I've never had the failure of a power supply before they generally last a long time if taken care of properly and assuming you buy one that exceeds the requirements for example a 1000 watt but only use 600 - 700 watts it will last longer than maxing out a full 1000 watts and wearing it down. This is simple to check with a power supply tester.

Generally its hard for me to be sure, but if I couldn't find the issue, I would start seriously by smelling inside the computer for any burning smell, this can often be the sign of a failure, and it can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing but opening the power supply / looking inside checkihng the capicators, moving on to the system board checking everything use a high powered led flashlight and look for any burned spots or signs of possible damage.

I would also start looking at issues like possible CPU failrue / Ram Module failure but such is rare its never happened to me in the last 17 years of building a PC i've only had one motherboard fail due to my own mistake with the cold plate.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Lilith View Post
    Could be a few issues I can think of depending if the pc is custom built.

1.) Faulty Power Supply, not sure on this, but it could be between the PSU, and the molex cable that goes from the power supply to the devices?

Do you set it up like I do?

. One Connector to power 4-5 fans max on the pc (If not using motherboard headers.)
    . A second one to power the Hard Drives
    . A third to power the ODD / CD Drives / other accessories
    . And the fourth I would assume they would be sata connectors to power the drives

Do you have the specs on the power supply, how many rails, and maximum amps per rail are they configured and optimized per rail?

2.) The second issue, how many fans are you running per motherboard header, (Do not go above 1 Amp) always keep it a bit below 1 amp for example each fan takes 0.30 amps, do not use above 3 fans on each header in general but always check amps on each different model of fan being used all of them should be the same. going above 1 amp can result in failure of the board.

3.) Mosfet failure, I have never experienced a motherboard failure in my life, well only one (Because my Cold Plate on my CPU cooler was touching the heat-sink attatched to the mosfet completely caused condensation over about a 2 years and the system eventually failed because of this caused it to short out. (This is often over-looked for motherboard failures) the PC will usually turn on and then turn off as a result, which could also cause damage to other parts in the CPU, or possibly it will come on and work for awhile or not come on at all.

If the VGA light is on the Video Card depending which one this could point to a failure within the Power Supply I would think, hard to say because I've never had the failure of a power supply before they generally last a long time if taken care of properly and assuming you buy one that exceeds the requirements for example a 1000 watt but only use 600 - 700 watts it will last longer than maxing out a full 1000 watts and wearing it down. This is simple to check with a power supply tester.

Generally its hard for me to be sure, but if I couldn't find the issue, I would start seriously by smelling inside the computer for any burning smell, this can often be the sign of a failure, and it can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing but opening the power supply / looking inside checkihng the capicators, moving on to the system board checking everything use a high powered led flashlight and look for any burned spots or signs of possible damage.

I would also start looking at issues like possible CPU failrue / Ram Module failure but such is rare its never happened to me in the last 17 years of building a PC i've only had one motherboard fail due to my own mistake with the cold plate.
    Updating BIOS resolved the issue.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ah kewl awesome glad you got it fixed, didn't see the last post, but i've had a long day at work likely myself...

Usually the first thing I do when I get a new Mother Board, is update the BIOS it resolves a lot of issues, but it is wierd why that would start happening after a few days, but could have possibly been a bug / compatability issue, great to know though ill add it to my list of things when I see posts like this on different sites.

I've personally only encountered issues with the Ram Speeds, and UEFI before, but guess that BIOS are becoming more advanced it might be running into more issues depending on actual devices connected such as expansion cards / video card & more than ram too :3.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Lilith View Post
    Ah kewl awesome glad you got it fixed, didn't see the last post, but i've had a long day at work likely myself...

Usually the first thing I do when I get a new Mother Board, is update the BIOS it resolves a lot of issues, but it is wierd why that would start happening after a few days, but could have possibly been a bug / compatability issue, great to know though ill add it to my list of things when I see posts like this on different sites.

I've personally only encountered issues with the Ram Speeds, and UEFI before, but guess that BIOS are becoming more advanced it might be running into more issues depending on actual devices connected such as expansion cards / video card & more than ram too :3.
    Well technically speaking updating UEFI resolved the issue :-)
    But term "BIOS" is still being used these days. Although, those are different generation firmware's.

But yeah, it was weird that after certain time it would start causing issues. Error Code 71 was leading to faulty CPU, Chipset, BIOS, PSU or SATA. Since we first tried replacing PSU and switching SATA cables back and forth didn't help to resolve the issue, the last thing to try before to diagnose system with faulty CPU or Mobo was to try updating BIOS (UEFI).

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well technically speaking updating UEFI resolved the issue :-)
    But term "BIOS" is still being used these days. Although, those are different generation firmware's.

But yeah, it was weird that after certain time it would start causing issues. Error Code 71 was leading to faulty CPU, Chipset, BIOS, PSU or SATA. Since we first tried replacing PSU and switching SATA cables back and forth didn't help to resolve the issue, the last thing to try before to diagnose system with faulty CPU or Mobo was to try updating BIOS (UEFI).
    Awesome thanks for letting me know I will make sure my tech friends know about it just for future issues that might pop up like this at least for me seeing this is something new something I never personally had issues with before, and yeah BIOS and UEFI are pretty much the same thing really just an older version and lots of changes I remember back in the day when mouse and keyboard did not work in BIOS at all, now both mouse & keyboard work in there, and generally speaking I find ASUS to have the best boards when it comes to updating, and changing settings really easy to use too.

Building another computer for family members soon, hopefully this black friday if I can find a cheaper I7 package but assume it will cost $800 for the build minimum although with the competition of Intel CPU right now I can prolly snag something less on black friday.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast