Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Velozzity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory...-speed-latency

This clarifies a bit what Zed is talking about but also shows that sometimes memory speed is king, at least on dd4 I have read reviews that said raw bandwidth was way more important than having super low latency (the reverse was true for ddr3).. Also aside from very few games memory just doesn't make much difference, as long as you have enough.

Knee High to a Worms Ass Gooberz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hello,

Looking at the same thing right now and I have learned a couple things which I dont think were mentioned previously here but just for your FYI

If you go with gen7 you cannot keep your motherboard if you ever want to upgrade after that to a newer generation. Not sure if you decided to go with a new board or not but if you go with 8k series and a new board I think you would end up getting a bit more time out of it. Intel may keep that 8k series board you buy compatible board with the next generation or two and you will have a lot more room in the future for change. If you go with a 7k series that wont happen.

Paying more for the 4200 mhz ram is a complete waste of money. Released benchmark testing from several sources I have seen in the last few days researching shows new systems can only utilize around 2600-3200 max on avg depending on setup. Save money on ram and use it on cpu. Ram is an easy upgrade later on.

I was looking at the 7700k but for a small amount more the 8700k will get you more as mentioned here and you will be a lot better off for the future. I will probably end up going with the 8700. My last build was in 2013 and I am just now upgrading, planning for the future worked for me!

Disclaimer is I am not an expert, this is information compiled from different sources claiming they are factual. So please research to confirm on your own. Just wanted to offer this in case it wasn't thought about.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Gooberz View Post
    Hello,

Looking at the same thing right now and I have learned a couple things which I dont think were mentioned previously here but just for your FYI

If you go with gen7 you cannot keep your motherboard if you ever want to upgrade after that to a newer generation. Not sure if you decided to go with a new board or not but if you go with 8k series and a new board I think you would end up getting a bit more time out of it. Intel may keep that 8k series board you buy compatible board with the next generation or two and you will have a lot more room in the future for change. If you go with a 7k series that wont happen.

Paying more for the 4200 mhz ram is a complete waste of money. Released benchmark testing from several sources I have seen in the last few days researching shows new systems can only utilize around 2600-3200 max on avg depending on setup. Save money on ram and use it on cpu. Ram is an easy upgrade later on.

I was looking at the 7700k but for a small amount more the 8700k will get you more as mentioned here and you will be a lot better off for the future. I will probably end up going with the 8700. My last build was in 2013 and I am just now upgrading, planning for the future worked for me!

Disclaimer is I am not an expert, this is information compiled from different sources claiming they are factual. So please research to confirm on your own. Just wanted to offer this in case it wasn't thought about.
    I totally agree on what you said here.
    Just a small advice, I would recommend to hold off a bit with your upgrade at least until the new NVIDIA gaming GPU's come out. Also, by that time we will have more info about Intel next gen CPU Cannon Lake, which technically should be a bigger jump in performance than just moving from 2013 CPU to Coffee Lake. Cannon Lake supposed to be based on 10nm, while Coffee Lake (8th gen) is still based on 14nm like Kaby Lake and Skylake, that's why IPC for 6th, 7th and 8th gen CPU's is identical and only core/thread count and boost clocks differ.

Cannon Lake supposed to be out late 2018 but we'll know more about it probably in a few month when Tech Events come up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123