Im on board a sinking ship of misfits. beerddlovliness's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Thoughts

So I am planning on upgrading my stuffs to an 8700k, ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 Z370 ATX Motherboard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RJ944T...3U2HWMIC&psc=1, and a fractal design R5. I have currently a Corsair H100iV2 which is ok but was wondering thoughts on Air coolers that you folks use? Im not a huge fan of Corsair 100Iv2 - not sure why just meh on it lol. Ive seen some air coolers that have the fans facing the side of the case - the windowed portion if you will and am really wondering if that makes a difference at all and maybe which way to face the cooler if you go the traditional fan facing the front/back of the case - is it better to push the air towards the rear exhaust or aim it towards the top of the case? i remember seeing a video saying the aiming the traditional cooler towards the top of the case to exhaust that way was actually slightly better than having it exhaust towards the back which seemed weird to me since you would have the air from the front fans hitting it. I dont remember them having a reason for it though lol.

hopefully some of you understand what I am saying and be able to assist lol. otherwise, just thoughts on CPU air coolers in general would help too haha.

thanks lol

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Entity94 View Post
    So I am planning on upgrading my stuffs to an 8700k, ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 Z370 ATX Motherboard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RJ944T...3U2HWMIC&psc=1, and a fractal design R5. I have currently a Corsair H100iV2 which is ok but was wondering thoughts on Air coolers that you folks use? Im not a huge fan of Corsair 100Iv2 - not sure why just meh on it lol. Ive seen some air coolers that have the fans facing the side of the case - the windowed portion if you will and am really wondering if that makes a difference at all and maybe which way to face the cooler if you go the traditional fan facing the front/back of the case - is it better to push the air towards the rear exhaust or aim it towards the top of the case? i remember seeing a video saying the aiming the traditional cooler towards the top of the case to exhaust that way was actually slightly better than having it exhaust towards the back which seemed weird to me since you would have the air from the front fans hitting it. I dont remember them having a reason for it though lol.

hopefully some of you understand what I am saying and be able to assist lol. otherwise, just thoughts on CPU air coolers in general would help too haha.

thanks lol
    It's fine either way, no difference in temps if your case/mobo would even allow it.
    You already have an h100i, not the best but its certainly not bad. It's not worth changing to anything else, aside from custom loop... You'll spend $80 or more for a difference of 5C in best case scenario.
    Only benefit of going to a massive dual tower air cooler would be noise reduction... so is that worth $80+ to you?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Not really lol. I guess we'll see how loud the fractal case will be when I build this bitch lol. Right now, my GPU gets really loud too probably because I have no front intakes since I have the H100iV2 in a S340 and that is sitting on the front of the case lol

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have NZXT h440 case and Corsair H110i cooler. The system is relatively OC and is running cool (can see specs in signature). I have three intake fans at the front of the case, one exhaust fan at the back of the case and H110i is pulling air in from the top and pushing through the radiator inside the case. GPU never goes beyond 65C, and CPU is at max 74C when it is 100% loaded. My ambient temp is 24C - 26C in winter and 21C - 23C in summer. Even though in winter my ambient temp is higher the system still does not get influenced by it and keeps stable temps. Also, the NZXT h440 case is pretty quiet. It kinda also cancels noise.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Not really lol. I guess we'll see how loud the fractal case will be when I build this bitch lol. Right now, my GPU gets really loud too probably because I have no front intakes since I have the H100iV2 in a S340 and that is sitting on the front of the case lol
    You have no intakes or just no front intakes? Heat rises so you're fighting against nature with exhaust on the front and intake on the rear/top. It's also worth noting that because your exhaust is at the front of the case below your intake, some of that residual warmer exhaust heat is going straight back into your case because again, heat rises. This effect can be reduced by ensuring your intake is on the bottom most part of your case, and exhaust closer to the top.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have the corsair h100iv2 on the front with the fans behind it pulling air in - so relatively low airflow intake. than on the top I have 1 fan as exhaust and 1 on the back top of the case as an exhaust like normal lol.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have the corsair h100iv2 on the front with the fans behind it pulling air in - so relatively low airflow intake. than on the top I have 1 fan as exhaust and 1 on the back top of the case as an exhaust like normal lol.
    So you have a bad fresh air intake. You could try to leave only one exhaust at the back and make the top fan to take the air in.