If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? The Bacon Man's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Need a Laptop suggestion

Just to say from now, I am not a techie, so please keep that in mind.

Basically I am looking to buy a new laptop that will be used for both gaming and for work. I am assuming that any laptop that does really well for games will also be amazing for whatever work I need to do on it.

So far what I would count as my most demanding games are ARK, PUBG, and Skyrim. I'd say any other game I have is either similar to these or less so a laptop that would manage to run these games should fit all my games (Though I could be wrong.)

In terms of the work that I do, it's data analytics. So I will also be using the laptop to run programs which will analyze a lot of data. So a laptop that is suited to do such a task as quickly as possible would be great.

If you need more details about the work or the games, please let me know.

In terms of costs, I'm not sure how expensive these can get, but if it goes over $2,000 then I'd say it's probably too expensive. Within $1,500 is the most reasonable for me.

Thank you for taking the time to go over this :)

Reigning Planetside Cards Against Humanity Champion Tigrium's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Do you have any preference for screen size? Resolution? Also which stores are available to you? A lot of recommendations are limited to what is actually available in your region.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

First of all stay away from laptop brands like HP, DELL, Acer, Lenovo if you want a good quality built gaming laptop. Razer is ok but is overpriced as hell for less performance that you might get with some other brands.

I'd go for ASUS, MSI and Sager. They build quality and high performance laptops within decent price range. You can find a really good gaming laptop within $1500 - $2000 price range. You may even find a $1000 - $1500 laptop but with less gaming performance but still really good desktop replacement on the go for work.

I've been using MSI gaming laptop for over 2 years now for my work and it works flawless. No hiccups or whatsoever.

But if you want an absolute MONSTER Laptop that will literally replace your Desktop then go with Sager. For example, this Sager model has a DESKTOP i7 8700k inside: https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP9155.html, which is by far better than any MOBILE i7 such as i7 7700HQ (keep in mind those letters after 7700). All CPU's that come with letters HQ behind the CPU model number are MOBILE versions that are 50% slower than equivalent DESKTOP versions.

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I have been using laptops for gaming since 1999, and the only brand I have purchased 2 times in a row in MSI. My GT73VR is just over a year old and I have had no problems. Shop around and make sure you get what you want. I spend a lot of time on the forums linked below, there you can get plenty of information for a specific model from owners. PM me here or there if you have any questions or hit me up on TS.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy AOD Member AOD_Centaur6's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

How important for you is size/weight and battery life ? I would also recommend paying attention to port placement. So DC/Audio/mouse cables are not in your way when gaming. And 120hz screen is a nice addition, unfortunately it's not a standard yet but can't recommend it enough. I see some laptops coming out lately with 144hz screens as well.

Can I have your Tots RogueRoman's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Man glad I looked in here �� gotta switch up