Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector effectiv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Don't buy Video Cards right now if you can avoid it...

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    But Micro Center is not a Wholesale department. They still buy their products from Wholesale just as NewEgg and sellers on Amazon. I've worked in one of the largest Wholesale Computer Hardware corporations in Europe at the logistics department and have seen all prices, where, what and how it is being shipped. Occasionally we shipped some components to the US as well. So, these price gouging is literally based on the lack of Supply, while there is more Demand than Supply. Thus, because retailers have more Demand than Supply they simply increase their prices. It's just simple basic Economy.
    There is some truth to this, however, Newegg and cards shipped and sold by Amazon are still at around MSRP (+$100 in some cases). Bestbuy is one of, if not the largest electronics dealer in the US and they continue to sell video cards at around msrp.

The main gripe in the video Vel posted was that Microcenter is not a 3rd party reseller and companies that continue to sell cards at their designated prices before inflation (Newegg, Bestbuy, etc) are not really increasing their prices based on demand. Unless it’s a card sold by EVGA, ASUS, MSI, etc. Then you may see prices increase.

I just checked Bestbuy’s website and they’re still selling the 1070 FE for $439. Newegg is selling 1070’s by MSI and ASUS for $550. The only problem is they’re always sold out. People are scalping them when they get stock and resell them for insane prices on Newegg’s marketplace or Amazon.

Microcenter has prices on 1060’s that are in the $600 range.

This is 100% ridiculous to be honest, but if they stick by what they have stated to the degree people took it at, then it won’t be so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by effectiv; 01-26-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Geekout

Microcenter online still has 1080ti's for about $800-900

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I think we are going to see cryptocurrency crash before too long.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set MightyDWC's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Going back ZED's post about pricing, I don't know if Nvidia themselves could control the pricing. It would be more on the company actually selling the card with their brand name on it, ie: Asus, EVGA, MSI etc......
    I work for a very large wholesale marine parts and accessories company here in the states, and the majority of the items we sell we have "wiggle room" on the price we sale at, and then our customer has "wiggle room" on the SRP they sell at.
    The high end electronics side (trolling motors, GPS, FishFinders), thoses MFG's set what is called MAPP pricing. I'm sure ZED know's what I'm talking about, but basically we cannot sell at a wholesale cost to our customers at a different cost other than what the MFG sets. And then our customer cannot sell retail over what the MFG says they can sell at WITHOUT specific permissions. These MFG's have teams who do nothing but scour the internet looking for vendors who are selling their products at prices other than what they set forth, and they can take action against those vendors for doing such.

The main question here is are the GPU card MFG's willing to put in this effort to control pricing? It's kinda like here in the states when there's a hurricane that shuts down a major gas refinery, and certain areas have gas shortages, and some stations will gauge their pricing. Those stations get in trouble, but they've already made that extra money. Like ZED said, supply and demand=#1 factor in pricing across all mfg'ing.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_MightyDWC View Post
    Going back ZED's post about pricing, I don't know if Nvidia themselves could control the pricing. It would be more on the company actually selling the card with their brand name on it, ie: Asus, EVGA, MSI etc......
    I work for a very large wholesale marine parts and accessories company here in the states, and the majority of the items we sell we have "wiggle room" on the price we sale at, and then our customer has "wiggle room" on the SRP they sell at.
    The high end electronics side (trolling motors, GPS, FishFinders), thoses MFG's set what is called MAPP pricing. I'm sure ZED know's what I'm talking about, but basically we cannot sell at a wholesale cost to our customers at a different cost other than what the MFG sets. And then our customer cannot sell retail over what the MFG says they can sell at WITHOUT specific permissions. These MFG's have teams who do nothing but scour the internet looking for vendors who are selling their products at prices other than what they set forth, and they can take action against those vendors for doing such.

The main question here is are the GPU card MFG's willing to put in this effort to control pricing? It's kinda like here in the states when there's a hurricane that shuts down a major gas refinery, and certain areas have gas shortages, and some stations will gauge their pricing. Those stations get in trouble, but they've already made that extra money. Like ZED said, supply and demand=#1 factor in pricing across all mfg'ing.
    I believe the main reason why MFG's don't bother much controlling prices is perhaps they are now more focusing their production lines on the new GPU generation. We all know that Samsung announced a mass production of GDDR6 two weeks ago. So, with that said, perhaps MFG's have lowered production on current gen GPU's in effort to prepare for the next gen GPU production and development.

Like really, think about it. How much more they need to milk Pascal generation GPU's while they are 2 year old technology? It's time to move on and forget about Pascal. My 19 month old GTX 1070 is waiting to be replaced. I want more power for my VR sim racing setup. GTX 1080Ti would still not satisfy my performance needs.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_MightyDWC View Post

Again, the jump in price that you see when browsing Newegg/Amazon are 3rd party resellers/scalpers. Almost every 1st-2nd tier company sells the cards at normal price. They run out of stock a lot, but their prices are consistent and do not reflect what you see on marketplaces. I just checked EVGA - normal prices. Nvidia has normal prices. Can’t check ASUS and MSI on Mobile, tbh they may not sell directly through their site. They only had links to Newegg or other retailers. Newegg has normal prices if it’s shipped and sold by them, same with Amazon.

Nvidia can’t do anything about marketplace prices. The only thing they can do is limit their gpu sales to 1/household.. but scalpers are already finding ways around that. There is no way to regulate prices on marketplace items unless Newegg, Bestbuy, or Amazon step in and do something about it.

The only thing they can do differently is increase the production rate, but after the mining craze dies down they will be at a loss from all the excess product they would have. There isn’t very high margin in GPU sales in the US at normal prices to begin with (also worked at a high end electronics retailer for a few years). When we sold them we’d make about $30-50 profit over the price we bought it at. This isn’t logical from a business standpoint because Nvidia’s prices aren’t inflated. Once the new line of GPU’s come out they’d have to sell the old ones at a loss.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! th3gh0s7's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hopefully the crypto crash (as of this post BTC $6,256.21, LTC: $114.03, XRP $0.63) will have some effect on prices.

Banned from Forums TheAlphaDogs09's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Actually.
    Nvidia are selling there cards at the regular old price again, They've lowered the prices again for themselves and a GTX1080ti in the UK is back down to 800 - 1000
    A titan xP is like 1000 :P

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

At CanadaComputers they made Video Card Purchase Policy: http://www.canadacomputers.com/image...s%20-%20EN.pdf

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DefyGravity View Post
    Microcenter online still has 1080ti's for about $800-900
    Where? The only prices I see on 1080ti's is still in the $900-1200 range. 1060's are still about $400. 1070's are $530-650. 1080's are $650-680.

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

EVGA’s site still has normal prices for me.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Jayson201's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

this is ridiculous

I've updated my privacy policy AOD Member AOD_Nozama's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

EVGA's site has normal prices but no stock so it's useless.

Your best bet if you absolutely need a video card right now is to buy prebuilt compuiters. Builders don't mark up unless they are small builders buying retail.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps.../1100-6456292/
    "You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."
    Plato

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Nozama View Post
    EVGA's site has normal prices but no stock so it's useless.

Your best bet if you absolutely need a video card right now is to buy prebuilt compuiters. Builders don't mark up unless they are small builders buying retail.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps.../1100-6456292/
    Not 100% useless. You can sign up for alerts for EVGA, Bestbuy, or Newegg for when they become available. Once they are available just buy one and you're good to go. They usually restock on certain days of the week at certain times, so once you find the pattern you can become prepared for a purchase.

The Token Staff Sergeant Master Butters's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_effectiv View Post
    Not 100% useless. You can sign up for alerts for EVGA, Bestbuy, or Newegg for when they become available. Once they are available just buy one and you're good to go. They usually restock on certain days of the week at certain times, so once you find the pattern you can become prepared for a purchase.
    To be honest, the alerts are hella slow. I remember trying to buy my 980ti hybrid and every time I’d get a notification and then check the website would be sold out. There was a website I went to though, can’t remember the name, but it would notify you immediately if there was any change to the page (such as when they change auto notify to purchase). That solved my issue right quick. Unfortunately, you had to be lucky enough to be online at the time. I think it might have been a Google Chrome extension.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3654-_-Product

Still 1.3k I like the ROG series more or the liquid cooled one.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Don't buy Video Cards right now if you can avoid it...

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Master Butters View Post
    To be honest, the alerts are hella slow. I remember trying to buy my 980ti hybrid and every time I’d get a notification and then check the website would be sold out. There was a website I went to though, can’t remember the name, but it would notify you immediately if there was any change to the page (such as when they change auto notify to purchase). That solved my issue right quick. Unfortunately, you had to be lucky enough to be online at the time. I think it might have been a Google Chrome extension.
    Yeah you need to find the days they restock. Like Bestbuy has 2 trucks that come in a week, both at night (I think tuesdays and thursdays, can’t remember 100%). So once they scan the pallets in the store stock gets updated. This may take some time to replicate over to their website, I’m not sure how efficient that process is.

Once you find the days and relative time they get stock, you just have to refresh the page until online stock updates, or if you have a bestbuy near you, you can go in on a truck night and ask if they received X GPU on the truck and someone will go look for you.

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Lilith View Post
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3654-_-Product

Still 1.3k I like the ROG series more or the liquid cooled one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	47 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	33330
    Last edited by effectiv; 02-07-2018 at 05:21 PM.

I've updated my privacy policy AOD Member AOD_Nozama's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

I'm not a big fan of RNG to buy video cards personally, anytime you're refreshing a site to try to buy something needed for a computer to operate it feels an awful lot like RNG IMO.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Nozama View Post
    I'm not a big fan of RNG to buy video cards personally, anytime you're refreshing a site to try to buy something needed for a computer to operate it feels an awful lot like RNG IMO.
    Again, there are more efficient ways around just refreshing. That was just a basic example that COULD work. There are scripts that are easy to setup that will basically purchase the card for you, or add it to your cart once it becomes available and give you a notification. It's not really RNG, it's about speed and efficiency. The more efficient you are about the process will increase your chances of getting a GPU at normal prices. Is this ridiculous? Yes, but there's no way around it right now. This is the day and age we live in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...automatically/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...srp_i_want_to/

Sure it's inconvenient, but it's the best way to save yourself $100s if you're looking for a GPU right now.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy AOD Member AOD_Centaur6's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Just some new rumors regarding Ampere. Almost there... ;(

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...ction_already/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast