Im on board a sinking ship of misfits. beerddlovliness's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Fan Software?

What do you all use for fan software? Ive tried Speedfan before but I dont get any of it and I have watched videos on it but still dont get it. This was roughly 6ish or so months ago. So figured Id ask you guys and girls what you use? I dont have space in my case for a manual physical controller so thats out of the question, though I did modify an s340 to fit one but would rather not do that again lol. it wasnt pretty. I tried the Asus xfan or whatever it is last night and that fucked with my H80iV2 I believe and dont want to deal with all of that bs again haha. am I stuck with speedfan? and the bios is wierd and I cant find straight answers. Asus z370 LGA 1151 ROG Maximus Hero X Wifi AC.

Thanks for the help kids

Save the whales. Collect the whole set MightyDWC's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You should be able to install Corsair Link to control the fan speed on that AIO. That's just from a google search to look at the model. It should plug into a USB 2 header for the software to access it. If your talking case fans then you would either have to set those speeds manually through the bios or use the AI Suite to install a windows based version to control the case fans ( you can do this WITHOUT it trying to control your AIO). For GPU I use EVGA's Precision Pro software as it works perfect for my EVGA 1080 TI Hybrid AIO. My CPU cooler is the Thermaltake Ring Plus 280, and the fans are controlled with the RingPlus software. Hope this helps.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_MightyDWC View Post
    You should be able to install Corsair Link to control the fan speed on that AIO. That's just from a google search to look at the model. It should plug into a USB 2 header for the software to access it. If your talking case fans then you would either have to set those speeds manually through the bios or use the AI Suite to install a windows based version to control the case fans ( you can do this WITHOUT it trying to control your AIO). For GPU I use EVGA's Precision Pro software as it works perfect for my EVGA 1080 TI Hybrid AIO. My CPU cooler is the Thermaltake Ring Plus 280, and the fans are controlled with the RingPlus software. Hope this helps.
    Yea case fans. My bad haha. Thanks for the info Mighty. Ill have to check it out.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Entity94 View Post
    Yea case fans. My bad haha. Thanks for the info Mighty. Ill have to check it out.
    You need PWM case fans in order to control speed or some sort of voltage regulator. Other than that they work on their max speed at all given times.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    You need PWM case fans in order to control speed or some sort of voltage regulator. Other than that they work on their max speed at all given times.
    All of my fans are PWM Noctua fans.

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Entity94, have you tried the ASUS Fan Expert? If you aren't one of the people that have the iomap64 bsod caused by some part of the ASUS suite then that I would give that a try. It was my favorite fan controller so far. At the moment I have a silent fan profile in the BIOS and use Speedfan when gaming, it's a pita to set up but works. The corsair link will also work OK.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

All of my fans are PWM Noctua fans.
    Since you have H80i AIO you can use Corsair Link. Other than that you can also use Fan control within the UEFI (aka BIOS for older generation mobos). Just set in settings to PWM and either select a fan curve from presets or create a custom curve.

Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ZED View Post
    Since you have H80i AIO you can use Corsair Link. Other than that you can also use Fan control within the UEFI (aka BIOS for older generation mobos). Just set in settings to PWM and either select a fan curve from presets or create a custom curve.
    Zed, I'm curious, do you use any of the Asus software? I'm trying to nail down the reason I have the BSOD issue whereas many do not.

Entity94, please update your solution, as I'm not crazy about my current fan solution.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DukeCLR View Post
    Zed, I'm curious, do you use any of the Asus software? I'm trying to nail down the reason I have the BSOD issue whereas many do not.

Entity94, please update your solution, as I'm not crazy about my current fan solution.
    The only ASUS software I use is Aura to control RGB on my mobo and GPU but it is not running in the background when I boot up into Windows. So, once I set desired options for RGB I can uninstall that software and forget about it.

I use Corsair Link for H110i AIO cooler to control fans and RGB on the pump,
    EVGA Precision OCX to Overclock my GPU and set Custom Fan Curve

That's all I use. Case fans run at their max RPM as they are not PWM fans. However, because I replaced NZXT FN v2 stock case fans with Thermaltake Riing 12 and Riing 14, those fans have an option to reduce RPM by using a special cable that reduces voltage and lowers RPM by 20%, which also reduces noise. Although, they are very quiet at their max RPM (which is 1500).

Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I do use Aroura whenever I want to change my color scheme, I let the BIOS on my GPU run those fans because I don't like EVGAs software. I do use the EVGA link to set the color on my CLC and GPU though.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DukeCLR View Post
    I do use Aroura whenever I want to change my color scheme, I let the BIOS on my GPU run those fans because I don't like EVGAs software. I do use the EVGA link to set the color on my CLC and GPU though.
    I prefer EVGA Precision OCX over MSI Afterburner on any other OC software for GPU. The only situation when I use MSI Afterburner is when I'm testing games and benchmarking but then again I run both EVGA and MSI at the same time and use EVGA to OC the GPU while MSI Afterburner is just for OSD. If it is a simple performance test then I use only EVGA Precision OCX and turn on built in OSD. The only reason why I sometimes use MSI Afterburner is because EVGA Precision OCX OSD does not have RAM usage and a break down for CPU usage (per core and thread).

Other than that EVGA Precision OCX is a cool tool to OC GPU and create custom fan curve and save profiles, as well as it does not use CPU as much as MSI Afterburner.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ive been using the BIOS. I installed Speedfan but he hasn't updated it in 2 years, guess he's dropped it but It doesnt recognize my 8700k or mobo - it gives it some other name. I wish corsair link could be used to control all the case fans. that would be nice lol. whatever though. I got my aio pump full blast and the fans at a fixed percentage of 80% and the temps I am seeing on it arent any higher than 50 - 60 degrees under load. granted I am also looking after I play a game because I dont have a display for it. And idle its about 28 - 35 degrees. Its quieter than my last computer but its a little louder than I want. I have the fans in BIOS set to PWM Turbo mode. IDK what the actual specs are. The fan curve isnt super aggressive but its more aggressive than the standard setting. I tried that Asus software the night i built this computer, friday, and it totally screwed up my AIO settings and stuff. So i have stayed away from it. I figure I can deal with a little louder fans than taking a chance on software not working together and breaking something lol.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ive been using the BIOS. I installed Speedfan but he hasn't updated it in 2 years, guess he's dropped it but It doesnt recognize my 8700k or mobo - it gives it some other name. I wish corsair link could be used to control all the case fans. that would be nice lol. whatever though. I got my aio pump full blast and the fans at a fixed percentage of 80% and the temps I am seeing on it arent any higher than 50 - 60 degrees under load. granted I am also looking after I play a game because I dont have a display for it. And idle its about 28 - 35 degrees. Its quieter than my last computer but its a little louder than I want. I have the fans in BIOS set to PWM Turbo mode. IDK what the actual specs are. The fan curve isnt super aggressive but its more aggressive than the standard setting. I tried that Asus software the night i built this computer, friday, and it totally screwed up my AIO settings and stuff. So i have stayed away from it. I figure I can deal with a little louder fans than taking a chance on software not working together and breaking something lol.
    Set a custom curve for the fans. I run my Corsair H110i 280mm AIO with fans around 1300 RPM at most. Max RPM for those fans is 2000 but it's really loud. At 1300 RPM they are quiet and can barely hear them. Temperature wise I did not notice any significant improvement if I run fans at max 2000 RPM. Like literally, maybe 1C difference in temperature. What makes the difference is if I run the pump on quiet mode or performance mode.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I got fans set or my cooler at a fixed percentage of 80% which seems to be fine. my AIO fans are roughly 1200 rpm and they arent horribly loud.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! th3gh0s7's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use a combination of MSI Afterburner, ASUS GPU Tweak, and MSI Command Center.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue jeepster's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

with my msi board I use msi command centre which works very well, would have thought Asus would have had similar software for fan control, but remember probably not all of your fan headers will be pwm in which case you would have to use a voltage reg as suggested earlier, hope this is helpful in some way. :)