Skittle

Default Which "VR Headset" is the best?

Title says it all, I'm thinking of getting VR 1. For this new "ARK Park" game and 2. For any other games, you know?

But yeah, which VR headset currently out is the best?

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! Jkr's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've looked into VR myself for a bit and it's safe to say that only the vive and oculus rift would be contenders.

Having said that, while they both offer the same quality of headset they're very different in their own ways. One thing that is clear though, is that the oculus has a far better fit to your head so for using them in longer periods of time the vive gets quite uncomfortable.

Besides that its a matter of what you'll need it for.. the 'other games' can be the deciding factor. Simply said, if you're static (sitting behind your pc) buy the oculus, if you want games that require you to walk around and you can clear some space in your room for it go for the vive.

If you're still unsure, I'd highly recommend just typing in 'best vr' or 'oculus vs vive' on youtube or google. That'll give you all the pros and cons from multiple reknowned sources who have tried them both and know what they're talking about. (though as always watch/read a few reviews as opinions are personal and having multiple opinions is never a bad thing)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have Oculus Rift and it's pretty much the same as Vive in terms of image quality. Vive offers better head tracking and room scale as well as controllers but costs way much more, IMHO not worth it.

As for which has the best image quality then I'd say Smasung Odyssey has a lot clearer image quality compared to Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. Some say that Odyssey may not be great for games that require a lot of space but personally I use VR only for sim racing so for me that would not be an issue. Also, Odyssey costs as much as Oculus Rift, which is way less than HTC Vive.

I would wait a bit if because HTC announced a new headset HTC Vive Pro (price might be very high tho), which has pretty much the same screen as Samsung Odyssey. Also, latest news suggest that LG and Google are working on a cool VR headset with 1400+ pixel density, which is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, HTC Vive Pro and Samsung Odyssey, which have 440+ pixel density. So, with that said, you can imagine how clear the image will be on LG/Google VR headset. It is said that LG/Google will announce and preset this VR headset in May.

There is also Pimax 8k VR headset in development. However, they claim it is 8k but in reality it is not. It is two 4k screens, which actually are 2k panels upscaled to 4k. It's a Kickstarter project and I don't think it will be any good. Although, some reviewers tried it and they said it looks very good.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Here is some video that I made a couple days ago where I show the actual image from the VR headset and I talk about details. I also mention the recommended hardware there. So, it is beneficial to watch for those who already have a VR headset and would like to improve clarity or for those who are still considering to get one.

The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting. Jiggahertz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I recently bought an Oculus Rift and I love it. I looked at the Microsoft MR sets, I liked the idea of not having to setup sensors in my room. But I ended up being concerned about the lack of games and compatibility with the Windows MR headsets. The ones I looked at also had lower refresh rates than Rift. What I liked about the Vive was the forward camera, that would be nice to have but $400 was easier to do than $600. Although I think Vive dropped to $500 now. I also didn't like the controllers for the Vive as much as the Rift. All of them do not have the best resolution yet. You can still make out pixels when playing. Hardware needs to be a little better to handle dual 4k. The next gen headsets will be really good, but I have a feeling they will be crazy expensive.

I play Elite Dangerous on the Rift and it is absolutely amazing. If you have ever dreamed of flying a space ship through the Milky Way, this is the closest you can get to the real deal. With a HOTAS it is super fun and immersive. Ark Park should be interesting to check out, looking forward to it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Jiggahertz View Post
    I recently bought an Oculus Rift and I love it. I looked at the Microsoft MR sets, I liked the idea of not having to setup sensors in my room. But I ended up being concerned about the lack of games and compatibility with the Windows MR headsets. The ones I looked at also had lower refresh rates than Rift. What I liked about the Vive was the forward camera, that would be nice to have but $400 was easier to do than $600. Although I think Vive dropped to $500 now. I also didn't like the controllers for the Vive as much as the Rift. All of them do not have the best resolution yet. You can still make out pixels when playing. Hardware needs to be a little better to handle dual 4k. The next gen headsets will be really good, but I have a feeling they will be crazy expensive.
    The best Windows MR headset and also currently the best that has best image quality is Samsung Odyssey. It has much higher Resolution than Rift and Vive, has the same 90Hz refresh rate and has the same 110 degree field of view. As for tracking, it uses same inside-out tracking as Vive but without the lighthouse, which might might not be so good for games that require large room scale. As for the games that it supports, Windows MR supports any game that HTC Vive supports. As long as the game has OpenVR support it will work.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue TheDarkFlame's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

in my opinion vive is best for roomscale oculus for seating/standing
    but the next gen is around the corner vive pro blows both of em out of the watter

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_TheDarkFlame View Post
    in my opinion vive is best for roomscale oculus for seating/standing
    but the next gen is around the corner vive pro blows both of em out of the watter
    Samsung Odyssey has best image quality and HTC Vive Pro has exact same screen that Samsung Odyssey is using but Vive Pro will cost double the amount.
    Also, worth looking at LG/Google headset that will have 1443 PPI that will blow any headset on the market if it really comes out this year: http://www.inavateonthenet.net/news/...led-vr-headset

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Resident56's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Depends on your budget. Vive Pro would be ideal, but is $$$ and will require more graphics horsepower to push the higher resolution.

I have tried both and agree that the Vive's room tracking is better. Not sure if it is $150 better. Would spring for the Vive on a deal/sale, but I have been very impressed with my Oculus Rift.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Resident56 View Post
    Depends on your budget. Vive Pro would be ideal, but is $$$ and will require more graphics horsepower to push the higher resolution.

I have tried both and agree that the Vive's room tracking is better. Not sure if it is $150 better. Would spring for the Vive on a deal/sale, but I have been very impressed with my Oculus Rift.
    Samsung Odyssey is $499, which is cheaper than HTC Vive and has a lot better screen (Dual 3.5" AMOLED (1440x1600 dots) vs Vive (1080x1200). Samsung Odyssey has the exact same screen that HTC Vive Pro will be using.
    https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...e800zaa-hc1us/

As for horsepower to push graphics, well in any case most people run SuperSampling on Vive or Rift, while on Samsung Odyssey or any other VR headset with much higher resolution you will no longer need SuperSampling because you can run at native resolution and achieve a lot better image quality.
    Last edited by ZED; 03-24-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set KaosC57's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The "best" headset is kinda subjective.

The HTC Vive is a really good headset, it feels nice on your head and overall feels great to use. When I've used the Vive (twice so far) there have been no tracking issues on the headset itself. The paddles did have a little the second time but that was due (i think) in part to our kinda janky setup. I will dock points on the Vive's paddles for being just downright weird to use.

The Oculus Rift has really good paddles, but I personally didn't like the headset itself. I have only used the Rift once, but I wasn't impressed with the headset itself. The paddles were really nice and felt great to use though!

I'd personally, if you have the horsepower to drive the 1440x1600 panels on the Vive Pro, wait for the Vive Pro to release.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Vive Pro: https://www.vive.com/ca/product/vive-pro/ is out but it's so overpriced compared to Samsung Odyssey that has the exact same screen panel and resolution: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...e800zaa-hc1us/

On top of that for Vive Pro you need to buy "VIVE - Pro Headset Accessories Starter Kit" separately, which is another $400. I can buy three Samsung Odyssey for this price and get the exact same resolution. What were the HTC thinking about?

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy AOD Member AOD_Centaur6's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

If you buying three Odyssey ones, please buy four and send one my way. Thanks ! :)
    Can't get them in EU, and ordering them from NA is cheaper than getting Vive Pro, but not cheap enough for even a second one ;(

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue TheDarkFlame's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

vive pro hands down

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy AOD Member AOD_Centaur6's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Got a Rift in my hands at the moment. I have to say, low-res aside, immersion is real. Odyssey and Vive Pro must be soo much sweeter. Tried Robo Recall, and a lil bit of Elite Dangerous (mouse and keyboard), brilliant stuff. Can't wait for something with hi-res and reasonable price. Shipping and tax/customs for Odyssey is a pain ;(