Divorces Suk cant wait for mine to be finished YellowPheaver's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Opinions on the gtx 1050?

Been looking around on pc partspicker, and seeing alot of 1050s for under 130 bucks, would this be a very good buy, well for me since some of you know i have an fx-6300 cpu... and just having an issue finding an affordable gpu, i dont know much about the gpu already so any advise would help alot.. oh an i have an rx 460 2 gig in right now and it seems to do ok, but its a used card before i bought it

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! ANDEbad's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Your not going to really notice a difference if you have an rx460 they compete at the same price point and offer similar performance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...460/3650vs3641

A 9% average boost in games isn't worth 130-150 USD imho. I'd save my money and get a GTX 1060 or Rx 580. They can be had for under 300.00 and would be a massive improvement over the rx460.

Also you can sell that 460 on eBay for 60-80 dollars to eat some of the cost of a better GPU.

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=R..._BIN=1&_sop=15

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_ANDEbad View Post
    http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare...460/3650vs3641

A 9% average boost in games isn't worth 130-150 USD imho. I'd save my money and get a GTX 1060 or Rx 580. They can be had for under 300.00 and would be a massive improvement over the rx460.

Also you can sell that 460 on eBay for 60-80 dollars to eat some of the cost of a better GPU.

https://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=R..._BIN=1&_sop=15

I second this!

As discussed in previous posts, you are better off to get a used Office PC with an i5 or i7 inside for around $200 and get a used GPU, something like GTX 970 or GTX 1060 and throw it into that Desktop. Obviously sell your current PC. So, that would be a cheap upgrade to something that would be much, much waaaaay much much better than you have now.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Also assuming you don't have an oem motherboard the fx 6300 is a great overclocker as it's in the same family as the legendary fx 8350 which is a beast at overclocking. So I'd pop in a GTX 1060 / rx580 and overclock it as much as you stabily can and see if it's really going to bottleneck whichever game you play. If CPU usage is 100% and GPU is not or you notice it not being able to feed textures to the GPU quickly enough or noticable stutters then I'd recommend upgrading your cpu/ motherboard / ram down the road which I'm sure you plan on doing anyway. But with new gpus coming out soon and prices dropping if you can get a good deal on one of those gpu's it would be a big improvement over what you currently have much more than the small improvement the GTX 1050 offers.

Last edited by ANDEbad; 08-03-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That's a fair point considering the Rx 460 can run on pretty much any oem PSU in an office PC.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

At the end of the day though if your looking to play the latest games on high settings your going to eventually have to upgrade everything. There's pretty much no way around it. Your going to have a bottleneck somewhere until you do. There's lots of different paths you could take that have both their ups and downs but in the end your going to end up spending ~6-700 usd. The way I see it you either buy a GTX 1060 or rx580 now and upgrade cpu/mobo/ram later when you have another ~400 dollars or spend the 400 dollars on a new platform now and get a new video card this winter on a black friday/ Cyber Monday deal which I'm sure there will be. Also worth thinking about most games run fine on an i3 8100 so updating to that platform now would offer the upgrade path to an 8600k/8700k in the future.

Like Mr. Rodgers but worse. Clarence's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would say to not worry about the GPU at the moment but get a better cpu because yes it is a good overclocker chip but you can only get so much or if it worry about the CPU first that the GPU. A good upgrade would be a ryzen 3 or 5 or even the new i5s from Intel.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xKccYT

That would give you an upgrade path to an 8600k or 8700k later if you wished and the option of adding another 8gb stick for dual channel 16gb later as well. Most games currently don't benefit from more than 4 cores. And in case anyone disagrees.

https://youtu.be/GdnHpqlnc0Q

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I would pass on the 1050 and save up for a total build, while you are saving keep an eye on the prices, if you stay informed you will know when a good deal pops up.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

sweet guys thanks, i knew i could find some answers here over FB lol... but dont want to upgrade to ryzen stuff just yet, since im trying to get some other stuff figured out in my life right now, so only have so much to spend... and with the 460 i figure the 8350 would help it better then this 6300

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_YellowPheaver View Post
    and with the 460 i figure the 8350 would help it better then this 6300
    There will be practically no difference. I rather try to find a used PC for $200 with an i5 or i7 inside and then either throw in 460 for now or try to find a used GTX 960 or GTX 970 for low price. Of course also sell the current PC to minimize costs. That's just me. That's what I'd do in a situation like this and that's what I've done in the past.

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector effectiv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I honestly wouldn't buy an older AMD processor. They're so seriously outdated that I don't think they're worth it unless you're absolutely scraping the bottom of your wallet to pull off an upgrade. Even Ryzen would take serious thought before pulling the trigger for me.

If you can, I'd save up and get the i5 8400. I put one in my wife's build and it is really good. Night and day better than her AMD processor she was on from around the same era as the 6300/8350.

Overclocking helps but won't give you the per core performance that an Intel processor gives. The 8400 turbo clock speed is more than sufficient for gaming and light-medium production work and it's 6 cores. For $180 USD it's a steal.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Save up a little more money and go with a 1060 6GB.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It all really depends on what from it and what you play. The fx 6300/8350 is one of the most overclockable CPUs ever made. If you don't have the money for a full upgrade I totally get it. Throwing in an 8350 won't help in games though over what you have. If I were in your position I'd invest in a cheap aftermarket cooler like a hyper 212 for 25 bucks and overclock the piss out of that 6300. There are plenty of guides on the internet how to do it properly and you can usually get a 20% boost across the board fsb, clock speeds, ht speeds ect. Take the cooler off you video card and put some new thermal paste in and crank the speeds on that as well. The built in amd drivers are pretty safe with what they allow. Clean up your case and make sure you have good airflow add another fan if necessary. Then clean up your windows install or reinstall altogether. Make sure you download lastest video card drivers ect. Honestly this is about the best your going to do. Save the rest of your money for a full upgrade when you can afford it. A tuned up 6300 and rx460 with 8gb of ram should have no problem running most pre 2016 games that the majority of the clan plays at 1080p med-high settings 50-60fps baring pubg which is just a nightmare optimization wise. Set your expectations there to be able to play games like cs:go, DotA 2, world of warships, PlanetSide 2, LoL, world of Warcraft, world of tanks ect. at acceptable framerates 1080p. I would just work with what you have, make it run the best you can and save your money for a full upgrade later.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i have a hyper t4 cpu cooler with 16 gigs of ram, just wanting to get the most out of my pc which is why i said a cpu upgrade but just wondering about th 1050, watched a vid of someone doing a benchmark on a 1050 over a 970 and there wasnt much of a difference in any of the games... it just scares me with getting used pc parts, since like i said i have 3 gpus and they are all used, but for right now hopefully the update on this 460, im actually able to play ww2 without it freezing might try bf1 and see how it does

Also an i3 would be better then the fx series?? just confused about the numbers at the end like an i3 5400... not sure if they make a 5400 lol

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector effectiv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i have a hyper t4 cpu cooler with 16 gigs of ram, just wanting to get the most out of my pc which is why i said a cpu upgrade but just wondering about th 1050, watched a vid of someone doing a benchmark on a 1050 over a 970 and there wasnt much of a difference in any of the games... it just scares me with getting used pc parts, since like i said i have 3 gpus and they are all used, but for right now hopefully the update on this 460, im actually able to play ww2 without it freezing might try bf1 and see how it does

Also an i3 would be better then the fx series?? just confused about the numbers at the end like an i3 5400... not sure if they make a 5400 lol
    A 4th-6th gen i3 will beat an OC'd 6300 in most scenarios inside of gaming. If you're ONLY gaming, then yes, I'd say the i3 is the better choice.

Take into consideration the GRID low FPS benchmark (last 2). See how bad the FX series dips? This is common across all Phenom/FX series processors - inconsistent/high fluctuations of fps. The i3 would give you a smoother experience even if the AMD's were OC'd.
    Last edited by effectiv; 08-04-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd just search eBay for a used 3-4th gen core i3/i5 with Mobo if that's the route your going to go otherwise your going to need to buy new ram. Honestly tho if you can't get it for under 125.00 you might as well buy an 8100/ Mobo/ ddr4
    Last edited by ANDEbad; 08-04-2018 at 02:47 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

@ effectiv

AMD didn't change anything in their architecture but lower tdp, improve clock speed and increase core count from 2011-2016 it was kinda a sad time to be an AMD fanboy :( I miss the days of the athlon 3200+ and first gen 64 bit CPUs

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

watched a vid of someone doing a benchmark on a 1050 over a 970 and there wasnt much of a difference in any of the games...
    Most likely he had a bottleneck on that 970. The 970 is 85% more powerful than 1050 and 65% more powerful than 1050Ti.

Here is a compare GTX 1050Ti vs 970 in 7 games using an i3 8100. Add a better CPU and results will be even more different in the performance gap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast