If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! c0y0te66's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Alienware 34" Curved WQHD monitor

After weeks of evaluating curved monitors I finally took the plunge and purchased the Alienware AW3418DW 34" curved monitor. I really wanted a curved G-Sync monitor to replace my 1080p 27 inch monitor setup. I hope that I won't get much of a frame-rate drop with my i7-4770K and GTX 1080 setup.

Newegg has a $100 discount on the monitor https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824260555 until Monday.

Can I have your Tots MauroMyyranen's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Congrats on the purchase! Hope you enjoy it and that performance exceeds your expectations! Is that mainly for Battlefield?

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy AOD Member AOD_Centaur6's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Uooh, very nice. Grats man !

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! c0y0te66's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_MauroMyyranen View Post
    Congrats on the purchase! Hope you enjoy it and that performance exceeds your expectations! Is that mainly for Battlefield?
    For some reason I have neglected Battlefield lately and I have been playing The Division mostly. Might change once BFV is released.

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Please update us when you get a chance to try out the curved monitor, some guys like it, some don't. I have thought about getting one but would hate to waste the $$.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_VVoody_87th's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I am on the fence about ordering that right now (sale ends 9/3)

There's a 35" AOC with similar specs for a bit less but it's a WVA panel and I need color accuracy for editing.

I was hoping to get the X34 Predator which has a higher color range than the Dell but it's not on sale. As far as I can tell the panels are identical but the X34 has a higher color range (billions). I wonder if that's just marketing or the panels are different.

There's also the ASUS ROG Swift which seems to have the same panel as the X34 but advertises a 5ms (GTG) latency instead of 4ms. Again this may not be the actual case if the panel is the same in both units which it probably is.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_VVoody_87th View Post
    I am on the fence about ordering that right now (sale ends 9/3)

There's a 35" AOC with similar specs for a bit less but it's a WVA panel and I need color accuracy for editing.

I was hoping to get the X34 Predator which has a higher color range than the Dell but it's not on sale. As far as I can tell the panels are identical but the X34 has a higher color range (billions). I wonder if that's just marketing or the panels are different.

There's also the ASUS ROG Swift which seems to have the same panel as the X34 but advertises a 5ms (GTG) latency instead of 4ms. Again this may not be the actual case if the panel is the same in both units which it probably is.
    I just ordered the AOC. From the research I've done all the 34" IPS available are the same panel (pg348q, predator x34, etc). While all the 35" VA panels available are the same (AG352UCG, Predator z35p, omen x, etc.). Just gotta do your research I guess. Gsync is the thing that really holds back the options available. It's totally worth it tho.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HOODedDutchman View Post
    I just ordered the AOC. From the research I've done all the 34" IPS available are the same panel (pg348q, predator x34, etc). While all the 35" VA panels available are the same (AG352UCG, Predator z35p, omen x, etc.). Just gotta do your research I guess. Gsync is the thing that really holds back the options available. It's totally worth it tho.
    As it turns out there are two versions of the Acer X34. The original X34 with 100Hz that came out a couple years ago and the upgraded model with 120Hz (same as the Dell). The new one has a higher curve and faster response. With the higher color depth over the Dell it seems the new X34P is the superior monitor (at a superior price too). The AOC is based on the older panel and is still a great monitor and on sale until tomorrow on NewEgg for about $850 and is still a great monitor but I think I'm going to aim for the new X34P.

The Dell was on sale, then the AOC....I'm hoping there will be a sale on the X34 coming up.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

As it turns out there are two versions of the Acer X34. The original X34 with 100Hz that came out a couple years ago and the upgraded model with 120Hz (same as the Dell). The new one has a higher curve and faster response. With the higher color depth over the Dell it seems the new X34P is the superior monitor (at a superior price too). The AOC is based on the older panel and is still a great monitor and on sale until tomorrow on NewEgg for about $850 and is still a great monitor but I think I'm going to aim for the new X34P.

The Dell was on sale, then the AOC....I'm hoping there will be a sale on the X34 coming up.
    You are thinking of the x34a. The AOC is newer then most of the 34" models other then the alienware. The AOC and Acer Z35P have the same panel I believe. They are 35" and VA panels. The 34" are IPS panels made by LG. The x34a is the same as the x34 but with better quality control (less backlight bleed and guaranteed 100hz).
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Well the Acer Predator X34 (newer "P" version with 120Hz and GSync) just went down in price by a couple hundred on NewEgg so I splurged.

I think monitors may continue to drop on the high end due to upcoming 144Hz 4K monitors coming out.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Well the Acer Predator X34 (newer "P" version with 120Hz and GSync) just went down in price by a couple hundred on NewEgg so I splurged.

I think monitors may continue to drop on the high end due to upcoming 144Hz 4K monitors coming out.
    If they do it won't be by much since the 4k 144hz is priced so high and the 200hz 3440x1440 coming late this year or early next year will be priced in that same range as well.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE