Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default help with building a new computer

Hi
    Im pretty new to computer gaming and im am currently gaming on a acer predator helios 300 15,6'' gaming laptop with a Nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb graphics card.
    I've always wanted to build my own stationary computer, but simply doesn't know much about computers and what it need to work.

Currently im in love with the cougar panzer evo RGB case http://cougargaming.com/products/cases/panzerevo_rgb/
    I have also been looking at a motherboard https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370...CARBON-AC.html (love the RGB) but i don't know if its a good or bad motherboard

I know that i want a nvidia 1070 or 1080 graphics card but i dont know what brand to buy or what is good or bad about each brand
    I also love the look of water cooling, but again i dont know what is good and what is bad

Btw one thing to keep in mind. what you consider a 2k$ build would probably be a 3k$ build for me since everything is more expensive in Denmark so pls dont find the most expensive things you can.

Also my bugdet is about 2k$ but it can be more since i first have to save the money over half a year or more

im looking forward to learning more about computers

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Chill_Tempest View Post
    Hi
    Im pretty new to computer gaming and im am currently gaming on a acer predator helios 300 15,6'' gaming laptop with a Nvidia geforce gtx 1060 6gb graphics card.
    I've always wanted to build my own stationary computer, but simply doesn't know much about computers and what it need to work.

Currently im in love with the cougar panzer evo RGB case http://cougargaming.com/products/cases/panzerevo_rgb/
    I have also been looking at a motherboard https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370...CARBON-AC.html (love the RGB) but i don't know if its a good or bad motherboard

I know that i want a nvidia 1070 or 1080 graphics card but i dont know what brand to buy or what is good or bad about each brand
    I also love the look of water cooling, but again i dont know what is good and what is bad

Btw one thing to keep in mind. what you consider a 2k$ build would probably be a 3k$ build for me since everything is more expensive in Denmark so pls dont find the most expensive things you can.

Also my bugdet is about 2k$ but it can be more since i first have to save the money over half a year or more

im looking forward to learning more about computers
    Nice to have a lot of cash to put into a 1st real build. So is your budget $2k USD ? Kind of confused me the way you put it.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector effectiv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you listed what resolution you will be playing at/want to play at and the games you play, we’d be able to recommend something that best fits your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Chill_Tempest's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HOODedDutchman View Post
    Nice to have a lot of cash to put into a 1st real build. So is your budget $2k USD ? Kind of confused me the way you put it.
    yeah its $2k USD

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Im mostly playing Battlefield 1 right now and would like to play with a resolution 1920x1080 and maybe later go op to 2560x1440, im probably getting a screen there can run 100+ hz

Save the whales. Collect the whole set MightyDWC's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The parts that are going to cost the most are your GPU, CPU, and Monitor.

You can get a good z270 motherboard that will take an i7 7700k, but if your eyeballing the 8700k, you'll have to upgrade to a z370 motherboard, so that's one thing to keep in mind.

As mentioned, you defo want an SSD. You can build a nice system for your 2k budget. Just make sure your also planning for when you want to do further upgrades.

My current system street value is right at $3100-3200
    Asus Strix z370-e Gaming Mobo. $200
    i7 8700k CPU. $450
    Thermaltake Rinng Plus 280 AIO CPU Cooler $175.
    EVGA Geforce GTX 1080ti SW2 Hybrid(built in water cooling AIO). 900$
    16 gigs DDR4 Corsair Vengence RGB 3600 Ram (2x8 sticks) $200
    Corsair Gold Series 850 watt PSU. $150
    Samsung Pro 250 gig SSD (Primary). $200
    Samsung Pro 500 gig SSD (Secondary) $325
    Corsair 760T Graphite Series Tower. $177
    Dell 27" LED QHD GSync 2k 144hz Monitor $475

Thing is I didn't buy this all at once. I did it in segments, with the Mobo/CPU/Ram being given to me as my Father's Day present from wife/daughter. (So it still came out of my pocket LOL).

I'm in no way saying this is what you should buy, just consider planning to go big on say the mobo, small on the other, because having a current mobo will allow you to upgrade later.

My old mobo/cpu/ram was an i7 3930k with 16 gigs of ddr 2. I rocked that setup for 7 years with an overclock on the CPU to 4.3 and had all kinds of fun with it. When I bought the 1080ti and stuck on it from a 970 it was a huge improvement, but NOTHING compared to my expression with the above setup when Windows loaded for the first time after install without updating from boot to desktop in 5.5 seconds LOL.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Here's a really high end build with a 2070 and an m.2 os drive along with 1tb ssd for games. Enough space on the m.2 for battlefield since the load times are usually terrible.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LFs6mq

Here's the same build with a few cut down areas. 3000mhz mem instead of 3200mhz to save a few bucks and secondary drive HDD instead of SSD to save some money but a 2080 instead of a 2070. This is likely what I'd go with judging by how bf5 beta played completely maxed out at 2560x1440 you may need more then a 2070. Then again in benchmarks 2070 smashed the 1080 in bf1 so it may be plenty.
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/G9kcV6

Both will be absolute beasts and 6 months from now when you plan to buy things may change. If 9700k comes down in price or even 9900k it may be worth getting over the 8700k. Any of the 3 will be plenty for years to come tho.

Here's why I say go with those CPU over say an 8600k and 8400.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGy8Yr983qg

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default help with building a new computer

Tapatalk is garbage. Someone can delete this post.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Have you decided on a monitor?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

i think ill go with either a ROG Strix XG27VQ https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG-STRIX-XG27VQ/
    or a ASUS MG248Q Gaming Monitor -24" FHD https://www.asus.com/Monitors/MG248Q/ depending on how much the computer end up costing. ill probably go with the last but if i have money to spare ill buy the first

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

or do you guys have a monitor you can recommend?

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

or do you guys have a monitor you can recommend?
    If you plan on having a monitor in that $2k price point I'll have to change my recommendations lol. 1440p high refresh rate monitors are still quite expensive so if you're not used to gaming on something better then 1080p you may want to go with a 1080p high refresh rate. It's hard to not recommend going higher resolution but it is a lot of money.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you plan on having a monitor in that $2k price point I'll have to change my recommendations lol. 1440p high refresh rate monitors are still quite expensive so if you're not used to gaming on something better then 1080p you may want to go with a 1080p high refresh rate. It's hard to not recommend going higher resolution but it is a lot of money.
    Can find 27” 1440p 144hz monitors on sale all day long for about $350-400. That’s not much more than 1080p 144hz.

Unless you buy that awful Asus VG248 for $190. No offense to anyone that may own one... lol.

I bought my Acer for $550 on sale (down from $799ish). It’s gorgeous.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_effectiv View Post
    Can find 27” 1440p 144hz monitors on sale all day long for about $350-400. That’s not much more than 1080p 144hz.

Unless you buy that awful Asus VG248 for $190. No offense to anyone that may own one... lol.

I bought my Acer for $550 on sale (down from $799ish). It’s gorgeous.

My issue is that I refuse to recommend anyone a TN panel monitor. IPS or VA worst case scenario. TN looks terrible.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

My issue is that I refuse to recommend anyone a TN panel monitor. IPS or VA worst case scenario. TN looks terrible.
    Not everyone is an elitist.

I'd rather go TN 144 than IPS 60.

TN looks ok after tinkering. My BenQ 2411z looks fantastic after tweaking everything that I have on it.. It's just not bright. But that's not too much of an issue. Brightness depletes definition in shadows. I run my Predator on like 70% brightness during the day and lower at night. My eyes thank me.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_effectiv View Post
    Not everyone is an elitist.

I'd rather go TN 144 than IPS 60.

TN looks ok after tinkering. My BenQ 2411z looks fantastic after tweaking everything that I have on it.. It's just not bright. But that's not too much of an issue. Brightness depletes definition in shadows. I run my Predator on like 70% brightness during the day and lower at night. My eyes thank me.
    It's a hard debate in that price range but you're probably right considering cost of a 1080p 144hz ips isn't too far off a 1440p 144hz TN. An argument can be made for 2560x1080 75hz freesync as well tho. I'd still probably pick a 144hz 1440p tn over the other 2 tho. Freesync or gsync is definitely a must nowadays tho.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It's a hard debate in that price range but you're probably right considering cost of a 1080p 144hz ips isn't too far off a 1440p 144hz TN. An argument can be made for 2560x1080 75hz freesync as well tho. I'd still probably pick a 144hz 1440p tn over the other 2 tho. Freesync or gsync is definitely a must nowadays tho.
    Dell makes a 27” 1440p 144hz panel with Gsync. It goes on sale for around $350-400 I believe. It’s actually the monitor I was planning on getting before I found the 27” Predator (1440p 165hz with IPS and Gsync) on sale for $550.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ill take a look at some more monitors and let you know. I'll probably end up buying the monitor on black Friday to save a little money

Sendt fra min SM-G950F med Tapatalk

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

And I'll probably exclude the monitor from $2k

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ill take a look at some more monitors and let you know. I'll probably end up buying the monitor on black Friday to save a little money

Tbh, you may be better off buying the monitor outside of Black Friday.

PC components generally don’t have great sales during the holidays. They have great sales when the market is moving slowly. Like Q1-Q2.

There are some exceptions.. but when I bought my monitor it was Q1 or so and I got a fantastic deal on it. ($549 vs $799)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast