Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! G3neral_Tso's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default 1080p vs. 1440p monitors

I didn’t see a similar topic recently, so here goes...

I’m finally looking to upgrade from my 9 year old 60hz 1080p monitor to a high refresh rate monitor. I finally feel the price point is low enough to warrant it.

As a primary Battlefield player, should I go up to a 1440p monitor or stick with 1080p? I am also looking to upgrade my 8GB R9 390 to either a 2060 (more than likely) or whatever new comparable AMD GPUs drop later this summer (supposedly better performance, but I don’t want to wait until August).

Is 1440p doable on a 2060 and get 144 FPS locked in? I have a R5 2600, 16GB of DDR 4 at 3000MhZ, and I get 80-100+ FPS on BFV now (usually...because DICE lol). I use a mixture of low and medium settings, for performance reasons, and I have no use for RTX.

Dell has an excellent sale on some of their monitors this weekend, including a 27” 144hz 1440p monitor for $299 shipped. The 24” 1080p model is $229 shipped. They are TN panels, which are of a lower quality, but compared to what I have now...it wouldn’t matter.

If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn? JochemWok's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have 2k instead of 1080p and I can say for games like battlefield go for 2k

Banned from Forums TheAlphaDogs09's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Due to lack of income I switched from a 1440p monitor to a 1080p
    I would highly suggest the 1440p Monitor for games like Battlefield, Anthem and stuff like that.

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Velozzity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I currently run a Acer Predator gsync 1440p monitor off a a RTX 2080...with everything on ultra i get between 120-162 fps (capped, monitor goes to 165hz).... If currently on 1080p you are failing to get 144hz, with low/medium mix, I see no way you would get 144fps moving to 1.77x the pixels you currently have unless it was all low and still possibly not doable. Is the resolution gain from 1080 to 1440 worth it, yes, but only if you have the graphics power to push it without dropping settings in the dirt. Games generally get harder to run over time and If it takes all low to get the FPS you want now, in a few years you wont be able to keep up unless you upgrade video cards imho.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am planning to upgrade the GPU soonish to a 2060/AMD equivalent. (Evidently, AMD has a new line of GPUs that will rival the 2070 at a $400 price point)

Save the whales. Collect the whole set Need.Coffee's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I have both. Not bragging, both second hand during black friday sale. got to pick those deals.
    One is 27inch, thats the 1440p. Other 24.5 inch at 1080p.
    If you are going for a 1440p make sure its not lower than 27inch. Or you will lose value.

So if you are looking for a competative edge, you got to reach that 144fps sweet spot. or higher if your monitor allows it. My 1080p can reach up to 240hz, but unless im playing counter strike i'll never reach that. Still trying to stay above 144. It really makes a diffrence. I use that monitor on games like R6 Siege. Those frames are really worth it.
    But 1440p is miles prettier. But its harder to reach that 144fps.
    If im playing single player games or anything where 60+ fps is more than fine. I'll switch to the 1440p. Having those smooth edges really change the quality, something that even the best AA solution wont make.

My suggestion. If you going with that GPU and have a good CPU. And are mainly playing Battlefield (where close corridor fights arnt its focus) than you would really love that 1440p.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue AngNoop's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Honestly if you want a bang for your buck the RX Vega 56 are great cards, and I think itll run better than the 2060s in some aspects and if it isnt its not noticeable and for $100 cheaper for basically the same card(performance wise) . Ill handle everything on ultra smoothly. Id find one with the most GB on it. if your pressed for cash 16 is nice but you should be find with 12 tbh. if you saved some cash id grab the 1440 monitor too.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Rade...SIN=B079LT39Z7

Knee High to a Worms Ass Cybar_Bully's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

A 2060 will not hit 144 fps at 1440p max settings in most titles. You should be able to do maybe 80-90 fps in most titles at medium settings. E-sports are different and you can probably hit 144 fps at medium.

I personally think the 1440p monitors are a lot nicer than the 1080p monitors across the board. Color quality is a lot better, FreeSync is often implemented better, etc.

The one thing I would caution you is to avoid VA monitors for gaming. They have nice contrast but the motion clarity on them is extremely poor. This is because while the *average* response times are good, the black-to-grey response times are very slow (~50ms).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lhzs2zdYQlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3UBVsvGYEE

Value-for-dollar I'd say look for a Nixeus EDG 27 for around $300, they've been clearing out the old model. I've also recently seen the Dell S2716DG for $250 for refurb units and $350 for new units, which is a stellar deal. Check out the "buildapcsales" subreddit.

Also, if you can afford it, the Acer X34 has been down around $650 for a refurb recently. Ultrawide is pretty rad, and it's basically the same as a 27" but it's 30% wider. But, that will also be even slower on a 2060.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks, all.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Resident56's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

What Cybar said. Though, I have had good luck with my VA monitor (The 27" Dell G-Sync 1440p 144hz).

If you don't plan on running ray tracing and are willing to tweak your settings. You can easily get north of 120+ FPS with a 2060 @ 1440.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_VVoody_87th's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I've always said that the monitor is the single most important component you can buy and usually will outlast your other hardware.

A while back I posted a thread showing how an ultrawide monitor in Battlefield offers a visibility advantage. It expands your peripheral rather than shrinking your vertical. I think you'd be struggling with a 2060 at 1440 and especially with an ultrawide (basically a 3K monitor).

An ultrawide monitor at 1080 is basically 1.5K (give or take) and would run nicely with a 2060.

You're better off getting a good G-Sync high refresh rate 1080 ultrawide monitor IMO if gaming is your primary concern. On the other hand you can always downscale battlefield on a high resolution monitor to simulate a 1080 then you can get the best of both worlds.

It seems to me that you won't save much by getting a 1080 over a 1440 these days with G Sync though.

Another option would be to run a single high refresh rate standard HD monitor with a couple of less expensive monitors on the side for a three monitor setup.

Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector effectiv's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Go 1440p.

I’m on a 1070 and hold 144fps constant in nearly every game I play at 1440p. Some games are maxed, some are not, but none are bare minimum settings unless I’m playing competitively. The 2060 will give you similar results.

For some reason, people think that playing at max settings is the only way to play games.

Get your 2060, get a decent 1440p panel (I have an Acer Predator 165hz), and turn some settings down/off. Bam. Now you can enjoy the best of both worlds until you upgrade to something better than a 2060. I’d rather play on my current monitor and disable some unneeded eye candy than ever go back to 1080p. 1440p kind of removes the need for AA as well.

There is no specific hardware combination you need to acquire to have a pleasant gaming experience. As long as there is some sort of balance.

If all else fails, just buy it off Amazon and try it out. If it doesn’t work out, return it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by effectiv; 05-29-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yeah, I usually play BF at reduced settings - I think some of the bells and whistles are distracting, as well as kills my FPS. I'll probably run a mix of medium-low, just to keep the frames locked at 144.

This is the monitor I'm looking at: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...or-accessories

I've never seen a 144hz 1440p panel below $300. What's wrong with it? lol

Criminal Lawyer is a redundancy Velozzity's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator.../dp/B0173PEX20

This is the same monitor I have, but about $200 less than I paid a few years back.

About the monitor you listed above, it is a TN panel, which is cheaper to make and has narrower optimal viewing angles plus lesser quality color reproduction. The more expensive adaptive sync monitor will be IPS, like the one listed above. Go into a store that carries both and you will see what I mean when I say there is a definite difference.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_G3neral_Tso View Post
    Yeah, I usually play BF at reduced settings - I think some of the bells and whistles are distracting, as well as kills my FPS. I'll probably run a mix of medium-low, just to keep the frames locked at 144.

This is the monitor I'm looking at: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...or-accessories

I've never seen a 144hz 1440p panel below $300. What's wrong with it? lol
    It's just a TN panel. It's not as bright as a IPS and the viewing angles aren't as good. I have seen this monitor in person and Dell does a great job at making the colors and brightness workable. My buddy has this panel and has no complaints. He also got it open box from BestBuy for a bit under $299.

To be honest, at $300, that is a good deal. My monitor is an 27" IPS 165Hz 2k (the same as Velozzity)... it was $550 on sale (goes on sale all the time at the same price.. and has for a while now).

I would look at some video reviews on the monitor and if you have a BestBuy near you, it is most likely on display in the gaming section so you can check it out in person. Same with Microcenter.

A benefit the Dell has over the Predator would be GTG response time. The predator is 4ms. The Dell is 1. It isn't a huge deal, but still should be mentioned.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Don't buy anything until AMD kicks Intel down in price. For vid cards, the Nvidia super line is about to drop and they will have higher clock speeds and more vram. So it might be worth the wait. A 2070 super will be almost as good as a 2080.

As above, 2k monitors on ultra/high is min 2080 card.
    A 2070 will get you 144 but you will have to run low/med.

If you have room for better cooling, you could oc your gpu and CPU and get an extra 10-15% easily.

My opinion. Stick with Nvidia for BFV if it's your main game, as they partner a lot. But just my opinion.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! HellKatzX's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I literally just picked up a Dell S2719DGF for $300 at Best Buy. I'm really happy with it. I've been playing on a ASUS VG248QE 144hz 1080p monitor for a few years which is now my 2nd monitor.
    I know there are better options if money isn't an issue but for $300 you get 1440p, 155hz refresh rate, 1ms response time and Freesync (gsync with the new nvidia drivers) I think it was the perfect price point for me to upgrade to 1440p.
    I play on a RTX 2070 with mixed quality settings and I'm averaging about 120 fps in BFV.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Nochancecw View Post
    As above, 2k monitors on ultra/high is min 2080 card.
    A 2080 for ultra/high... MINIMUM? Are you talking specifically for bf5?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I went ahead and bought the Dell S2719DGF linked above from Amazon for $299 last week, and it’s a great monitor. I’m still adjusting to the size of the thing, after years of 24” 60Hz gaming...but wow. I’m using it with my 390, and I thought I would have to reduce the resolution to 1080 until I upgraded, but the frames are OK at 1440p at 80-100 on medium low settings (my default, didn’t change them for the new monitor). Now I wait on the upgraded Nvidia lineup and the pricing of the new AMD GPUs...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_G3neral_Tso View Post
    I went ahead and bought the Dell S2719DGF linked above from Amazon for $299 last week, and it’s a great monitor. I’m still adjusting to the size of the thing, after years of 24” 60Hz gaming...but wow. I’m using it with my 390, and I thought I would have to reduce the resolution to 1080 until I upgraded, but the frames are OK at 1440p at 80-100 on medium low settings (my default, didn’t change them for the new monitor). Now I wait on the upgraded Nvidia lineup and the pricing of the new AMD GPUs...
    Told you, you’d be fine!

Glad you like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast