Banned from Forums AOD Member Tinman's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Pwnd Jets Flying and Tactics

I am very close to being able to fly Jets that are not premium craft and would like a little help learning how to fight in them I know at least that they do not fly anyware near the way old war-birds do. I don't want to be that new jet player who is an easy kill because he has no idea what to do.

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies DonnyMack's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

For the most part, no need to climb unless the map is huge; just smash right in and get it on. Your cannons/MGs are super powerful at this point and a slight burst will take someone out. I say this cause you won't have much ammo at all no matter the jet. You want to keep speed up so tight maneuvers are out. Everything you do needs to be with maximum speed in mind so the fighting style is most like American planes, if I had to make a comparison.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Nibe's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

I am pretty experienced with few jets, but I don't usually play planes. (I also grinded most of my planes in ground RB xD)

If flying F-80 series, you should climb around 1,5-2km alt and keep your speed up at all times. Only change speed to altitude, because you can convert it back to speed. try not to turnfight anything, unless you're sure that there is no other enemy to jump on you. Hortons are dangerous and you need some altitude to fight with them. They loose a lot of speed in vertical spirals, so it is your best bet, if one gets onto your 6. Your roll rate is pretty good and after the boosters upgrade it gets even better. Control stiffening isn't so radical like in some props. Overal feel of the plane is bit sluggish, but it keeps the speed very well.

MIG-9/L Climb to 4km and BnZ or BnR your enemies. Roll is your friend and the L variant accelerates pretty well. At least double your lead, because it has low velocity cannons, but the 37mm will one shot pretty easily if hit in the wing.

Vampire is slow, but maneuverable at all speeds. outturns most jets around 400km/h IAS. Is a bit different to fly and has airbrake to force overshoots. 4x Hispanos will make short work of anything caught into the sights. Hortons are your nemesis and vertical spirals are your best bet again. (They will outturn, outclimb and accelerate faster than you at any speed.)

G91 series Pretty maneuverable and has pretty insane rollrate. Rips wings easily if you roll and pull up. (And it doesn't give any warnings when it happens. Your wing just decides to go shopping or something.) Early ones have 4x M3 Browning MG's and their firepower is a bit limited. Later ones have two 30mm cannons. They have variant dependable underwing weaponry. IE. R4 has: FFAR Mighty Mouse rockets, 500lb bombs, Nord AA missles (Hand guided), Nord ATGM (Hand guided) and sidewinders. Cannon version(s) carries great underwing armament options and is deadly at ground RB.

Early jets are all about speed at you should only change your speed to alt and vice versa. Pull gentle turns to keep that speed up and if you dive away from props, get your speed around 600-700km/h and level your plane. Most props loose speed at that kind of speeds, but you gain it. (Unless you're flying high alt.) Tempest II is extremely dangerous to early jets, because it has extremely brutal acceleration at low altitudes and it is probably the fastest prop in the sea level (over 700km/h) and it gets to that speed pretty quickly. It has insane dive speed, but control stiffening is problem at near redline speeds and that can be used to outmaneuver it or to get maneuver kill.

Have fun and keep training.
    I am sad. My squadmate got killed today. He said that there is a Leo in the forest, but I couldn't see the forest because trees were on the way.