Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Looking for RAM Recommendations

Motherboard Specs:
    • Support four DDR3 DIMMs 1066/1333/1600/1866*/2000*/2133*/2200*/2400*/2600*/2666*/2800*/3000*/3100*/3200*/3300*(*OC) MHz, up to 32GB Max.
    - Supports Dual-Channel mode
    - Supports non-ECC, un-buffered memory
    - Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

I'm going to need to upgrade to at least 16GB (2x 8GB) of ram, and right now I'm trying to decide on the brand. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Knee High to a Worms Ass MadMax's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Im currently running 16gb of DDR3 ram,
    Unsure which brand, don't think it makes much difference.
    Couldn't even tell you the speed.
    its a 7 year old PC with and i5 4570 and plays PUBG/Warzone/Rlanetside 2 easily enough.
    Get what you can for cheap enough, and don't worry about the higher speeds, unless you have a mobo that supports overclocking of ram,
    Your just wasting money

Your Friendly Armored Engineer AOD Member AOD_Darkwhip's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

In my experience kingston is a solid pick, never had any problem with their ram sticks, never tried the ones that comes with metal plating outside like the hyper X model but they seem reliable enough. The only brand i can vouch from experience is Kingston, their models look standard, but get the job done and heating isn't an issue at all with them

Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. Crymic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm using G Skill with XMP enabled, so far no problems. Though I did have issues finding the right pair set due to my mobo chipset being super picky.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Need to know what motherboard and what CPU you are using to give a proper recommendation.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

It's an Intel i7-4790k 4GHZ, and I doubt I will even OC it.

I took an IQ test and the results were negative Facerollol's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

is there a chance you can get us the actual make and model of the motherboard? some companies are a lot pickier than others when it comes to compatability.

I've always used either Kingston or Corsair in my builds with very good success.

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-...82E16820233535

https://www.newegg.com/hyperx-16gb-2...82E16820104467

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Motherboard: Z97-G55 SLI (MS-7921)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I would refer to MSI's website I posted below and find what exact ram you can use with that board. I've got a MSI board also, and I could use only use specific memory with it, was a real pain in the ass.
    Just look up what DUAL memories are listed and find the highest MHZ with lowest timing memory you can use.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...#support-mem-0
    Last edited by Crymic; 04-17-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Crymic View Post
    I would refer to MSI's website I posted below and find what exact ram you can use with that board. I've got a MSI board also, and I could use only use specific memory with it, was a real pain in the ass.
    Just look up what DUAL memories are listed and find the highest MHZ with lowest timing memory you can use.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...#support-mem-0
    That doesn't make any sense I've owned at least half a dozen msi boards since x58 and never had an issue with memory and almost none of the kits I put in the boards were on the support list from MSI.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

If this is your board it says it supports pretty much the fastest ddr3 available. Right up to 3300mhz.
    https://ca.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-G.../Specification

I'd get something decently fast at least 2400mhz to get the most life out of your platform. It's only when you get over 3000mhz it starts to take some tweaking to dial it in on the intel chips. G.skill is always the way to go. People always want Corsair because the name is popular but I've had issues with them multiple times with memory and never with g.skill and I've built with way more g.skill kits.
    https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-...quicklink=true

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Sure you can use any memory you want, but if you plan on using XMP. You may see blue screens of death.
    I tried various G Skill and other memory, and I saw a lot of BODS with Z170A board. When I stuck in a confirmed listed memory set, I had no issues what so ever.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Crymic View Post
    Sure you can use any memory you want, but if you plan on using XMP. You may see blue screens of death.
    I tried various G Skill and other memory, and I saw a lot of BODS with Z170A board. When I stuck in a confirmed listed memory set, I had no issues what so ever.
    I ran multiple different kits on z170 gaming pro carbon which is very similar and never had issues. XMP settings are stored on the memory module. The use of xmp has nothing to do with it being on the manufacturer's support list. Maybe you were running a bios that had some issues with memory in general ? Confirmed means exactly that. They stuck the kit in the board and it worked so they put it on the list. They don't tweak individual settings for certain memory in the bios. That's why xmp exists and why memory training happens on first boot after a cmos clear. You likely just needed a tweak to vccio or vccsa voltages if you were running pretty high speed memory. It's very likely you just had a weak imc on your CPU and the xmp preset didn't give enough voltage.