Thread: SSD Help

Thought I'd shoot my way out, mix things up a bit. DarkSilhouette99's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default SSD Help

Hey guys,

I am trying to move an old SSD from my older computer to my new computer. It was only used for gaming, no OS installed on it and it will NOT be used as my OS drive on my new computer. I am using the Asus Z-390-A MB with two m.2 drives installed. I plugged the new Sata cable into SATA-1 (i believe). I know SATA 2 slot cant be used if I am using an m.2. When i booted the computer it doesn't see the new SSD at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Dark

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_BLINIX's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Do you not see it on the windows explorer? Because if thats the case it may appear in the disk admin and its just it doesnt have a compatible format at the moment.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Run windows memory diagnostic tool. It'll pick it up and show after it runs and you reboot.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks for the help. So after I ran that memory diagnostic and found nothing wrong i moved the Sata cable from SATA 1 to SATA3 and rebooted into BIOS. The hard drive was now visible on BIOS. When i booted back into Windows it was NOT showing in explorer. I went into Partition manager and found a "Foreign Dynamic Drive" and imported it. The full drive is now showing up in Explorer and i can view the files but it is showing as a Simple Volume on a Dynamic Disk vs my other 2 drives showing as Basic; Primary partitions, Will i still be able to use this SSD to install games on or do i need to format it?

Thanks again
    -Dark

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DarkSilhouette99 View Post
    Thanks for the help. So after I ran that memory diagnostic and found nothing wrong i moved the Sata cable from SATA 1 to SATA3 and rebooted into BIOS. The hard drive was now visible on BIOS. When i booted back into Windows it was NOT showing in explorer. I went into Partition manager and found a "Foreign Dynamic Drive" and imported it. The full drive is now showing up in Explorer and i can view the files but it is showing as a Simple Volume on a Dynamic Disk vs my other 2 drives showing as Basic; Primary partitions, Will i still be able to use this SSD to install games on or do i need to format it?

Thanks again
    -Dark
    If you go to disk manager you may be able to right click on it and click create volume and make it have a drive path that will show up. I'm not sure exactly as I haven't done it for a while and I don't want it to mess anything up on my rig currently lol. If it shows in disk manager you should be able to make it work. You shouldn't have to format it. If you do install the software for you SSD and do a secure erase. Formatting is not good for SSD's.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HOODedDutchman View Post
    If you go to disk manager you may be able to right click on it and click create volume and make it have a drive path that will show up. I'm not sure exactly as I haven't done it for a while and I don't want it to mess anything up on my rig currently lol. If it shows in disk manager you should be able to make it work. You shouldn't have to format it. If you do install the software for you SSD and do a secure erase. Formatting is not good for SSD's.
    I got it working, thank you for the help. It's up and running with 3 games installed on it and they run.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk