Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! NoPants's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default New Router

I just received a $100 credit to use at Dell.com. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good router? I have a 7 or 8 year old Apple Extreme base station that could probably use some love (I had to stop upgrading it because it would have wifi issues).

My price range is prob 150-200, but I could be convinced to do as much as 300 if it was really worth it.

Hello Sunshine AOD Member AOD_Sunwheel's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

I've had the Netgear XR 500 for almost two years and it works flawlessly. The QOS feature is outstanding. The WiFi is very strong. They only did a couple of firmware updates, because that's all that was needed. Only had minor firmware issues when it was brand new. Hasn't been a firmware update in over a year.

In the router's user interface, you can literally see a map of all connected devices by connection (Ethernet, 5G, 2.4G). Giving devices fixed internal IP addresses is a breeze. At a glance on another tab you can see what devices are consuming the most bandwidth. The interface and firmware are designed by DumaOS, who are the masters of router-based networking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GWJ44Z

I'd be wary of buying any brand new models, because invariably there are issues that have to be fixed via often numerous firmware updates.

Edit: sorry I missed the Dell.com part in your OP.
    Intel 13700K @ 5.4GHz; Zotac RTX 4080; 32GB RAM @ 4400MHz 20-28-28-48
    1 TB 990 NVMe, 500 GB 980 NVMe, 500 GB 850 & 860 EVOs; EVGA 750W Gold PS
    Dell S2721DGF @ 165Hz IPS (x2)
    Pulsar X2V2 Mini on Artisan Zero FX Soft XL
    Ducky One 3 SF 65% keyboard with pre-lubed Black switches

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

They have the XR500 on Dell.com. I'll check it out.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Sunwheel View Post
    I've had the Netgear XR 500 for almost two years and it works flawlessly. The QOS feature is outstanding. The WiFi is very strong. They only did a couple of firmware updates, because that's all that was needed. Only had minor firmware issues when it was brand new. Hasn't been a firmware update in over a year.

In the router's user interface, you can literally see a map of all connected devices by connection (Ethernet, 5G, 2.4G). Giving devices fixed internal IP addresses is a breeze. At a glance on another tab you can see what devices are consuming the most bandwidth. The interface and firmware are designed by DumaOS, who are the masters of router-based networking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GWJ44Z

I'd be wary of buying any brand new models, because invariably there are issues that have to be fixed via often numerous firmware updates.

Edit: sorry I missed the Dell.com part in your OP.
    I saw the XR700, but it's almost $500 and I'm not trying to spend that much. But the XR500 has very good reviews, so I'm going to order it as soon as Dell price matches, so I'll get it for $150, which seems like a steal. Thanks for the info.

I have 0 experience it networking setup, so the easier the better.

Hello Sunshine AOD Member AOD_Sunwheel's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Nice! I think you'll be really pleased.
    Intel 13700K @ 5.4GHz; Zotac RTX 4080; 32GB RAM @ 4400MHz 20-28-28-48
    1 TB 990 NVMe, 500 GB 980 NVMe, 500 GB 850 & 860 EVOs; EVGA 750W Gold PS
    Dell S2721DGF @ 165Hz IPS (x2)
    Pulsar X2V2 Mini on Artisan Zero FX Soft XL
    Ducky One 3 SF 65% keyboard with pre-lubed Black switches

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Sunwheel View Post
    DumaOS 3.0 is being tested right now for the XR500, not sure when it will be released though.

I've used the Netgear R7000 in the past, very solid router. The Netgear R8000 could carry you a good long while as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alias': Activision: Zeke009#2424731 |

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! YourXWife's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I am lazy- and I want to buy a modem router and was looking at the SURFboard DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable modem & WIfi Router. SBG 8300. I currently have the SB6782-ac. I have alot of issues with it now in the house. Anyone have any objections or something better to offer for less of the price ? We currently pay for 500 download (my current one max is 300ish) with our package. I thought the model was better than it appears to have been. I was told check out netgear for the good range but I dont want a router- then a modem when I can have 1 unit. Any suggestions ? The problem we are facing with extenders is the bottom of the house loses signal sometimes. I feel if I am going to dump my current model and upgrade get something with the DOCSIS 3.1 for the faster speed.

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_YourXWife View Post
    I am lazy- and I want to buy a modem router and was looking at the SURFboard DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable modem & WIfi Router. SBG 8300. I currently have the SB6782-ac. I have alot of issues with it now in the house. Anyone have any objections or something better to offer for less of the price ? We currently pay for 500 download (my current one max is 300ish) with our package. I thought the model was better than it appears to have been. I was told check out netgear for the good range but I dont want a router- then a modem when I can have 1 unit. Any suggestions ? The problem we are facing with extenders is the bottom of the house loses signal sometimes. I feel if I am going to dump my current model and upgrade get something with the DOCSIS 3.1 for the faster speed.
    A few years ago I had the same idea and today I am back at a separate modem and router. They are nice for space saving and cool idea, but in my case it was a pain in the ass. The router firmware seemed to be lagging behind stand alone routers.

I had a really weird issue where my cell phone would reboot the unit when it refreshed the weather app. I reached out to Netgear and they were stumped. I even sent them the unit and a spare phone with the weather app installed that I confirmed would cause the crash. They ended up replacing it with a separate modem and router.

You may have a stellar experience with a combo unit, but I would not recommend one after my experience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The house I'm in can only get internet from the bonus room upstairs then it feeds down into the house. I have ethernet ran in the house to a location on the other side of the house. My corner is after spending the money for a router- then a modem that I will still have spotty coverage. Can anyone confirm or what I should go with ?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I mistyped - My concern is after spending the money for 2 units I will get stuck paying for something else.

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Lots of questions, grab a beverage and get ready:
    1. How many square feet are we talking about?
    2. What is the budget you are working with? (aside from the Dell credit)
    3. Who is your ISP and what plan do you subscribe to?
    4. Have you tried a repeater connected to that ethernet line in the past?
    5. Do you have any spare equipment or will you after this upgrade? (if so, make and model please)

Having ethernet run to the other part of the house gives you more options. I used to have a repeater in the house, but it was connected via powerline adapters (they sucked in my house).