Thread: Linux?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Linux?

Is Linux practical at all for my computer instead of Windows? Taking a Linux class and was just curious. Still know very little about Linux.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Crickets

A Mighty Pirate!
    Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Loki View Post
    Is Linux practical at all for my computer instead of Windows? Taking a Linux class and was just curious. Still know very little about Linux.
    It honestly depends on what your goal is. It also depends on the flavor of linux. If you're talking about Ubuntu Desktop (GNOME), there's examples of folks moving to it and liking it. And if you plan on gaming on the linux machine, there's a pretty popular open-source platform for that as well (so you can play E:D).

Linux will run faster than Windows, primarily because it's not weighted down with all of the same GUI niceties. Obviously, Linux is also free, which is certainly helpful.

I personally work all day in linux environments, so having been a PC fan my whole life, it took about 3 days of being on a Mac to convert - primarily because Mac OS X is UNIX-based (and Linux derives from UNIX). As a developer, I find a lot of comfort in developing in an environment very similar to the servers we run, deploy code to. It was a seamless transition, though I still keep a gaming PC at home.

So, is it practical? That depends entirely on you. Give it a try for a few months, and let us know what you end up thinking. :)

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Haven’t made the switch fully but lutris is great. Helps you to rely on the community to make sure you have the right setup for wine etc. Steam also has its own called I want to say proton. This has many games natively supported and others that you can try out and see if it works before going to try lutris.

https://www.protondb.com/