Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Virtualization and Hardware Monitoring

So I?m not familiar, if I do something like this can I actually monitor my hardware ?

Bear metal - Fedora
    KVM - Windows 10 and others

If this was the setup on my 3950x, I would like to be able to monitor temperatures from within windows. As it will be using more cores and threads then if it was just native windows. Now is this true ? I?d be running like plex and pihole etc. If I install like msi afterburner, would it see the virtualized things or could it actually see all the processor to monitor the machine from within the daily driver guest ?

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies AOD_OddJob001's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

What virtualization software? That will help answer the rest of your questions.
    Or by kvm do you mean actual kvm/libvirt?
    What will your backend be for storage?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

First take the plank out of your own eye.
    Rank
    First Sergeant
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

It still has the MIBs and such you can do snmp queries against. Also some axl based stuff, depending on base hardware and what vm software you are using. I?m familiar with esxi hypervisers and vCentral/sphere, but also do snmp/axl to the cimc oob management ports for the hardware I use

I guess the bigger question is what polling software are you using, and how much of a deep dive do you want. Also what?s the budget yada yada.. shareware stuff may be limited as I more familiar with enterprise software

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art by Blinix

Thoughts become Actions. Actions become Habits. Habits become Character.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thanks gents, its for home use and home lab so there is no budget like that for sure. Looking to make sure i'm not frying the computer basically as I start using it for multiple tasks at once. Aye, I was referencing KVM/Libvirt as that's what I just learned the last few years. I don't have a enterprise license to run vmware products.

Don't piss me off! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies AOD_OddJob001's Avatar
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I use Unraid. www.unraid.net

Handles my storage, vms, dockers, everything. Check it out, it's a sweet application if you are looking to build out a home server with everything you need. Handles my home automation, plex server, pihole, cctv cameras, monitoring and whatever else you need.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue mikesdeman's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use proxmox which doesn't require an enterprise license (unless you want support). That being said, I haven't tried GPU passthru so not sure how you would work around Error 41s in Windows with nVidia...

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_OddJob001 View Post
    I use Unraid. www.unraid.net

Handles my storage, vms, dockers, everything. Check it out, it's a sweet application if you are looking to build out a home server with everything you need. Handles my home automation, plex server, pihole, cctv cameras, monitoring and whatever else you need.

Thats the one that linus used with the gpu like 20 games one machine setup yea?

Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Darkn3ss F4lls View Post
    Thats the one that linus used with the gpu like 20 games one machine setup yea?
    He's done some videos on it yes.