I've been bamboozled, I just don't know it yet BarbsX365's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Loki View Post
    But it's locked down with the locker bar?
    Yeah but since you will have to heat it up. U don't want to heat the mobo with it

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! NoPants's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Barb, quick question, what kind of cooling would you recommend for the Ryzen in the bequiet cool 500 case?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

All in one water cooler! Thats probs the best cooling except for custom water cooling

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Would you have a different build recommendation if I'm primarily (or only) playing at 1080p w a 240 hz monitor?
    Still recommend 3900XT or go intel?
    Is a 3080 too much? (I have a poorly performing 1080 ti atm)
    Actual amount of ram recommended?

I do actually have a second144 hz 1440p monitor, but I can't use it while I'm working from home (32 inch, too big for the desk).

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Also, does the new Ryzen release change anything.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_NoPants View Post
    Would you have a different build recommendation if I'm primarily (or only) playing at 1080p w a 240 hz monitor?

I do actually have a second144 hz 1440p monitor, but I can't use it while I'm working from home (32 inch, too big for the desk).
    I think that the pc speced out above will be a great computer for the next 6-8 years. honestly, I prefer Ryzen because you have more cores, so great for multitasking. If you really want you could wait for ryzen 5000 which will be probs amazing. The 3080 may seem much but as games become more gpu dependant it will be good. 32 gb of 3600mhz ram is more than enough

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

The pc will def support 2 screens

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Barb, would the new Ryzen 5900X work with the motherboard? I've got family asking to buy me stuff for Christmas, so I thought I'd send them some of the more reasonable pieces (Windows, Mobo, Ram, Power Supply, etc). I'd like to get the Ryzen 5900X and the 3080 as soon as it comes back available.

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Motherboard (AMD AM4, PCIe 4.0, DDR4, SATA 6Gb/s, M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2, HDMI, ATX)

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Barb, would the new Ryzen 5900X work with the motherboard? I've got family asking to buy me stuff for Christmas, so I thought I'd send them some of the more reasonable pieces (Windows, Mobo, Ram, Power Supply, etc). I'd like to get the Ryzen 5900X and the 3080 as soon as it comes back available.

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Motherboard (AMD AM4, PCIe 4.0, DDR4, SATA 6Gb/s, M.2, USB 3.2 Gen 2, HDMI, ATX)
    Just make sure whatever board you buy has the ability to flash bios without a CPU. Most X570 probably do but don't quote me on that. Also as far as cooling AIOs don't really beat high end dual tower air coolers. Basically only if you want that look and cost twice as much. Usually dual tower air coolers have decent fans that don't spin up as fast/loud. AIOs on the other hand have jet fans so they look better than air coolers in reviews. If you match fans between a 280mm AIO and a nh-d15 for example they are usually on par or the d15 wins.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Well I've purchased the Case (be quiet 500), SSD (Samsung Evo Plus 2TB), and PSU (Corsair 850W RMx).

I'll look to buy the 5900x as soon as I'm able and hopefully I can score the 3800 or Big Navi. If all else fails I may just buy a 2080ti, as I've seen them for 500-600$ on Offerup/Craigslist, but I should probably just be patient and wait.

Dutchman your comment basically went completely over my head. Are you saying AIO's are overpriced for performance and an aircooler is a better choice per $? Do you have one you'd recommend? I've literally picked a closed case because I don't care at all what it looks like.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Deepcool Assassin 3, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, Noctua NH-D15, Scythe Fuma 2.

I'd probably go with the Fuma 2. It's only $60 on amazon and performs on par with nh-d15 for both thermals and noise, while looking way better. Matches or beats basically any high end aio.
    https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/92...eview/amp.html

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Design-Towers-Cooler-SCFM-2000/dp/B07QMK5R45/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=scythe+fuma+ 2&qid=1603100404&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTlA1N zJRN1FINEc0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTU0NDg0MzQ0Q1BPNkN PRDk3WiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTU3OTk5V0gzSEVGRks0W TJXJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3R pb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I bought the Fuma 2. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll let you know how it goes once I get the mobo/cpu (waiting for the 5900x to be released)

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HOODedDutchman View Post
    Deepcool Assassin 3, Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, Noctua NH-D15, Scythe Fuma 2.

I'd probably go with the Fuma 2. It's only $60 on amazon and performs on par with nh-d15 for both thermals and noise, while looking way better. Matches or beats basically any high end aio.
    https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/92...eview/amp.html

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Desi...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Solid choice. I just grabbed a brand new in box 3700x off a guy on the weekend for cheap af. Sold my 3600x for $50 difference the next day a couple hours after I posted it. I'm cleaning up with these launches. Got a 2080 super off a panic seller for cheap when the 3080 launched too lol.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I saw a 2080 ti for sale on OfferUp for $600. Almost bought it, but you never know whether it was a gamer or a bitcoin miner.

PC building question. I purchase the Quiet 500 mid-atx case (great price - $69), but now that I'm going with air cooling instead of liquid, is this advantageous?

Also, I'm kinda unsure of how to organize the fans for the best effect and don't know if I should purchase separate quiet fans or cabling, as no one will be able to see this.

I'm leaning towards getting Big Navi, as if they are actually able to obtain additional gains leveraging the cpu/gpu combo, it seems like a win. I guess I'll have to pray that they don't have an error like they did in the past.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

How many fans do you have?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just the 2 that come with the case. It was recommended that I grab 1 extra fan, so I'm picking up another 120mm fan.

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BarbsX365 View Post
    How many fans do you have?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123