Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I've been bamboozled, I just don't know it yet BarbsX365's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Icon12 Need Help Building a New Computer?

Hello, feel free to post any questions about PC building here! I and our fellow community PC builders are glad to help!

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

We promise to respectfully debate the shit out of a .01 GHz gain and will do our best to respect your budget! Just make sure your budget matches expectations. You can't buy a Ferrari with used chewing gum and $23.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alias': Activision: Zeke009#2424731 |

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yes perfectly described Zeke!

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! NoPants's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'd like to build a nice, future-proof PC, preferably in a Case that is easy to work in. I almost exclusively use the PC to play Apex Legends, although I would probably switch to another game in the future.

I currently have a decent PC, but it's an Alienware (1080ti, 8700k) I bought 2+ years ago and it is very difficult to contemplate new graphics card upgrades with the build.

I'm looking to spend $2000-$2500 if possible, although due to the current work situation, I probably wouldn't finish the build until Feb 2021 when I get my bonus. I'd be willing to buy parts during Black Friday or Cyber Monday if it is worth it. From the new graphics card pricing, I'd probably go with a 3080, as I'm not sure if a 3090 would be useful to me.

I'm not opposed to AMD and don't really care about lights and making it look pretty (prefer function over form).

So, that being said, based on the above what would you recommend on timing of the purchases? Should I try to get a 3080 now or wait until Thanksgiving/Early next year?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hello NoPants! I believe that you should most definitely wait till sales for all your pc parts, it will save you a ton of money. For the argument between the RTX 3080 and 3090, I think that the 3090 is a bit overkill, unless you want to do heavy video editing or high-resolution VR! I think that the Rtx 3080 with the new Ampere technology will be great for a long time, ofc we still need to wait for benchmarks but, I am confident in Nvidia's abilities. As for buying the gpu now or later, i think that it is best to wait. This is because early adopters of new gpu's of AMD and Nvidia are prone to suffer from driver issues. Essentially you are a lab rat for them. Also, it is rumored that there will be not a lot of supply so the price is prone to skyrocket. It is better to wait and in the meantime, more reference cards will be developed and drivers fixed and by the time of February, the card theoretically will have little issues! if you have any more questions, advice on pc components, or if you want further explanations, feel free to post!

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_NoPants View Post
    I'd like to build a nice, future-proof PC, preferably in a Case that is easy to work in. I almost exclusively use the PC to play Apex Legends, although I would probably switch to another game in the future.

I currently have a decent PC, but it's an Alienware (1080ti, 8700k) I bought 2+ years ago and it is very difficult to contemplate new graphics card upgrades with the build.

I'm looking to spend $2000-$2500 if possible, although due to the current work situation, I probably wouldn't finish the build until Feb 2021 when I get my bonus. I'd be willing to buy parts during Black Friday or Cyber Monday if it is worth it. From the new graphics card pricing, I'd probably go with a 3080, as I'm not sure if a 3090 would be useful to me.

I'm not opposed to AMD and don't really care about lights and making it look pretty (prefer function over form).

So, that being said, based on the above what would you recommend on timing of the purchases? Should I try to get a 3080 now or wait until Thanksgiving/Early next year?
    8700k is still a beast of a CPU for gaming. You should really be running a 3080 unless you're at least running 3440x1440 or 4k resolution anyways. At least for now. Only games that are really going to push it are games with ray tracing. Like Control. If you are running high resolution then keep your 8700k and grab a 3080 for now and you're good. If you get an itch to upgrade down the road do the CPU middle of next year. 4th gen ryzen will be out and plentiful by then and we will have an idea of what's going on with intels next gen.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HOODedDutchman View Post
    8700k is still a beast of a CPU for gaming. You should really be running a 3080 unless you're at least running 3440x1440 or 4k resolution anyways. At least for now. Only games that are really going to push it are games with ray tracing. Like Control. If you are running high resolution then keep your 8700k and grab a 3080 for now and you're good. If you get an itch to upgrade down the road do the CPU middle of next year. 4th gen ryzen will be out and plentiful by then and we will have an idea of what's going on with intels next gen.
    It's not the parts, it's the case. I have an alienware pc and can't fit a 2080 without banging on metal to make it fit

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Do you think it would be possible if you could change case?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BarbsX365 View Post
    Do you think it would be possible if you could change case?
    If I was able to change the case I would be willing to just grab a 3080 and call it a day.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If I was able to change the case I would be willing to just grab a 3080 and call it a day

Although I would also need a new mobo, ssd (mine is 500gb and I'd like at least 1TB) and prob a new power supply as well. So I don't know if it's worth it to do all of that just to keep the use of the 8700k, rather than to just do a new build.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hmm, With so many components to replace, I would start from scratch and sell your old pc.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Yes. That's what I was thinking as well. I think I could get $750+ for this PC, which would be a nice contribution to the build.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Exactly, me and the fellow pc builders in this clan will gladly help you make it

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So, do you have any preferences? Like intel or AMD, atx mini atx, brands you'd like to avoid?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I definitely want the 3080

I don't have any preference on parts, I just would like case to be easy to work in (if it has a carry handle that's awesome too, but not required). Maybe 2 1TB SSDs.

Also, I don't prefer to spend extra money to make the build look good, I just want it to run fast and cool.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (9).jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	40910

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

This could be a start, Its at about $2300, this is a damn good spec sheet! Anything you don't like?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I'm not familiar w that specific SSD, I thought the samsung was the way to go right now for speed/quality.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Ok no problem, I will change that. however I can definitely vouch for this ssd as I own the exact same model but different size!

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

if you want samsung the 970 EVO Plus is the best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast