Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_VVoody_87th's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

No one has mentioned it yet but one of the simplest things to troubleshoot is to simply remove one of your RAM sticks and run the other one one at a time to see if the problem persists. Don't just rely on RAM tests in Windows to detect bad RAM.

I've personally had reliable RAM but my son's machine has had two failed RAM sticks over the past couple years alone.

But an overheating CPU is also a likely culprit and it seems like yours is running a little hot.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! NoPants's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

So, I redid my thermal paste application with more paste and also I turned off the ryzen master overclock and my thermals have gone down significantly. I found that the Ryzen overclock actually lowered my performance scores and increased temps. I'm running around 70-75 degrees under load now with XMP enabled and no OC in afterburner.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Weakness's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

I'm with the overheating crowd also but if you have any extension cables to GPU or main power connector try removing them. Most extension cable aren't made very well and I've run into a couple that caused issues like not providing enough power to GPU causing screen to go black.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Still seems hot to me. Are you sure you used the right hardware and install process for the cooler. I remember you having some issues there. I'm running a 3700x which is similar tdp, core count, etc. and it never gets above mid 60s peak while gaming and I'm running an itx case. Unless by load you mean stress test?

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Also I don't think you ever answered my question about if it's just straight power cutoff, like your power went out, or if you get blue screens when these restarts happen.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HOODedDutchman View Post
    Also I don't think you ever answered my question about if it's just straight power cutoff, like your power went out, or if you get blue screens when these restarts happen.
    Haven't gotten a blue screen, it just straight up restarts.

I had an issue with finding the mounting bracket, but other than that, everything has been very straightforward. I don't really think there is anything else I can do for the setup. I've also read a lot of notes that the 5800x just runs hot.

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_NoPants View Post
    I'm not sure what I need to do.

My PC keeps restarting. I removed all overclocks and still, it's constant with multiple games. Certain games cause restarts to happen more quickly are Divinity Original Sin 2 and Witcher 3 Wild Hunt. Apex normally takes longer for a restart to be necessary.

I've loaded the event viewer and sorted by critical and this is the message I am getting repeatedly:

Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating system
    Product Version: 10.0.19041.1
    Event ID: 41
    Event Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Locale ID:1033
    I have a really silly question, but only because it was a problem I had late last year... what is it plugged in to? The wall or a power/surge protector?

If it is not the wall, tell us about it. Brand, age, # of plugs used...

I had a long forgotten power strip under my desk that I never thought anything about. I started having weird problems with one of my pc's (home server). AFTER I rebuilt the server, I discovered the same exact problems existed. Turns out the one thing I did not swap out was the power strip. At least I have a rebuilt home server that will last me longer now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alias': Activision: Zeke009#2424731 |

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Directly into the wall. On the plus side, my gpu temps have come down about 20 degrees or so.

I'm thinking it's 1 of 2 things.

1) 5800x generally runs hot, with a temp rating up to 90 degrees C. So maybe this is supposed to be the norm. I seem to be getting up to the mid 80s when running 3D Mark CPU stress tests.
    2) Might be the case. I've read that this case (be quiet bure base 500) runs fairly hot, and I could lower my temps by removing some of the sound dampening material. I'm almost willing to buy a whole new case if that's my issue.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

3080s have an issue where they have large power spikes of like 500 watts in some cases when first launching into 3d mode. Does it happen right when u launch a game or after playing for a while? Either way if its just a straight up restart its likely a power issue somewhere. I'd try updating motherboard bios and see if there's an updated bios for you graphics card from the manufacturer. Other than that only thing I can think is maybe RMA the power supply. I've only had this issue once before. Shut downs were completely random with no blue screen, sometimes idle state browsing the internet and sometimes after hours of gaming. New power supply fixed it and my buddy took the old one, found a bad capacitor and replaced it and used it for a few years after lol. That doesn't mean that's your issue but this is how I'd go about it. Hard to pinpoint the issue without swapping out parts to test. Other thing you could try is taking everything out of the case and setting it up on your desk and see if it happens. This basically checks if there's a short somewhere or wiring issue.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

If your power supply has a single cable that's split on the end use 1 of the plugs and hookup the other cable as well so you have 2 cables coming from the power supply to the gpu instead of 1. I'm not sure if its built like that I don't remember the exact power supply you're using?

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I couldn't tell you exactly when the temp issues arises. I was only getting the restarts when gaming before. After re-applying thermal paste, oddly enough my GPU temps have come down considerably and my CPU temps aren't hitting the threshold anymore (I'm also not overclocking other than XMP).

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

While browsing the web now, and loading Apex (background), right now my CPU is at 47.5 and my GPU is at 61.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HOODedDutchman View Post
    3080s have an issue where they have large power spikes of like 500 watts in some cases when first launching into 3d mode. Does it happen right when u launch a game or after playing for a while? Either way if its just a straight up restart its likely a power issue somewhere. I'd try updating motherboard bios and see if there's an updated bios for you graphics card from the manufacturer. Other than that only thing I can think is maybe RMA the power supply. I've only had this issue once before. Shut downs were completely random with no blue screen, sometimes idle state browsing the internet and sometimes after hours of gaming. New power supply fixed it and my buddy took the old one, found a bad capacitor and replaced it and used it for a few years after lol. That doesn't mean that's your issue but this is how I'd go about it. Hard to pinpoint the issue without swapping out parts to test. Other thing you could try is taking everything out of the case and setting it up on your desk and see if it happens. This basically checks if there's a short somewhere or wiring issue.
    FYI, thought I'd provide an update. I moved from a 5800x to a 5900x, without changing anything else, and my temps have decrease on average by 8 - 10 degrees C. Definitely a 5800x chip issue, not an airflow issue.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

5900x and 5950x are binned much better than the lower chips. Meaning they do better clock speeds at lower voltages. Also you can have 2 identical chips and have 10° variance. Dependant on asic voltage, voltage leak, etc. You used to actually get a asic quality out of 100 value in gpuz on older gpus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12