Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Default Build a PC or buy from a system builder?

So as a preface, I've been building computers since my first Athlon build when I was 14. I'm now 35.
    With the current GPU unavailability, I am considering going through a system builder like OriginPC or CyberpowerPC for a new computer. Right now I'm gaming on a MSI GT75VR Pro 202 laptop with 2 monitors hooked up.
    This laptop is showing its age and I want to build a new computer badly.
    Willing to spend between 3 to 4k USD for a new one but GPU's are impossible to obtain right now.

Do you have any personal experience with system builders? If so, who did you use and what was your experience?

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_DirtyApe777 View Post
    So as a preface, I've been building computers since my first Athlon build when I was 14. I'm now 35.
    With the current GPU unavailability, I am considering going through a system builder like OriginPC or CyberpowerPC for a new computer. Right now I'm gaming on a MSI GT75VR Pro 202 laptop with 2 monitors hooked up.
    This laptop is showing its age and I want to build a new computer badly.
    Willing to spend between 3 to 4k USD for a new one but GPU's are impossible to obtain right now.

Do you have any personal experience with system builders? If so, who did you use and what was your experience?
    I think nzxt build service is best. They provide a long warranty with it and I think the markup for building for you is only $100 or something like that.
    https://www.letsbld.com/
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

I clicked get started and assassins creed for a game then chose $2000 price point and it gave a 9900k + 3070 setup. Then clicked configure and it had the founder 3080 for $200 cheaper than the pay 3070 it defaults to. So under $2k for a 9900k + 3080 setup. Not bad.

Your Friendly Armored Engineer AOD Member AOD_Darkwhip's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Well, as usual if you're trying to save some money for potentially better parts, it's better to build it yourself, and you have the experience to boot so no simple mistakes there.
    You'd also know exactly where things are in the case when you have to do periodic maintenance, and the obvious sense of accomplishment for having built your own machine.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_HollandBud's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

With the shortage that is here on parts I went with pre built to get my 3080 and 5800x. I went with NZXT (letsbld.com). At the time they weren't getting hit with the price increases so I got all my parts at MSRP. I recently looked and it seems all of it shot up in price even the build i made.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HollandBud View Post
    With the shortage that is here on parts I went with pre built to get my 3080 and 5800x. I went with NZXT (letsbld.com). At the time they weren't getting hit with the price increases so I got all my parts at MSRP. I recently looked and it seems all of it shot up in price even the build i made.
    I really want to build one but unfortunately I will end up taking the same route. I'm either going through Origin PC because they are owned by Corsair now or NZXT BLD. Both are good companies to go through according to reviews from youtubers, BBB and forum sources like hardocp, toms guide, and anandtech.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

If you do blink, I don't know what will happen IfYaBlink's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I haven't but aritisan is good. me personally i would build one myself because I can kindve control the prices of what I'm getting. depending on what GPU you've had in the past you could get a gtx 1070 ti/gtx 1080 or a rx5500xt.

Okay, who put a stop payment on my reality check? AOD Member AOD_PiddlePaddle's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

I got my current computer through nzxt bld and have had no issues with it. I wanted to be able to build my own pc, but with gpus being nonexistent I made the choice to do the prebuilt route. I looked at origin pc's, maingear's, and nzxt bld's offerings before going with nzxt mostly for cost efficiency. Origin and the other high end builders give more options for customization, but I was looking for function over form and it has gone well for me. I went with their streaming pc spec which came out to about $1900 after taxes and fees for a build with a EVGA 3070 and a ryzen 5600x. It does take a couple weeks before the system ships from their warehouse, but they have some pretty sturdy packaging.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! Toms's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I recently got a new RTX 3000 series laptop/desktop replacement. Many of these new builds from Razer,MSI,Asus,Acer, are all extremely powerful and capable desktop replacements ranging from $1500-2000.

I'm playing 1440 60fps-120fps depending on the games.

The game you want to play may also be on Google or Nvidia, check that out.

This is probably the last computer I'm buying because I wanted a mobile setup and stadia.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Neulrotic's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

With the Shortage I would have bought a pre-built. Now I'm just sitting here with a sexy build with nothing to run Graphics. So fun. I'm tempted to buy a Pre-Build for a Graphics Card and selling like above. But I dunno.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue GhostOfXmasPast's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I've found Cyberpower to be a pretty great builder. The best time to buy from them is around July/August when back to school sales come up. They usually have some pretty great discounts on various hardware. Their build engine is pretty great too and their assembly has never given me issues or otherwise prevented me from making "mid-cycle" upgrades to keep performance up to par

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you haven't already, check out https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ to build your PC part list. This will also show best prices and and when they go on sale.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits. Styrgis's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I too prefer to build my own and have used https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ as AOD_F1xtion mentioned above without any issues at all for my last three builds. Unfortunately, with the GPU shortage atm and for the foreseeable future, it appears going with a pre-built will be the better and certainly cheaper option.

Like others have mentioned above, once you have set your price-point, it's really about tailoring your experience to personal preferences, 'future-proofing' as best you can and getting the best bang for your buck. From what little I have looked out of curiosity, $2k USD appears to be the average for a build with 3000 series GPUs and 11th generation CPUs.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! SirWestofAsh's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

at this time given the limitations in stock and pricing being WAYYY higher than normal due to demand. I think buying from a system builder is easier/ more price efficient.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue AOD Member AOD_Blaked's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

I used PcPartPicker and chose my own parts. For the games I play (CoD mainly and things I need to do,) my computer runs good almost 3 years later.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk