If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_BrianCore's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Default Is the GPU for the ASUS ROG Strix G G731 G731GT-H7235R supposed to be onboard or?

I picked up what appears to be an ASUS ROG Strix G G731 G731GT-H7235R so I have something to use while at work for $250. I was going through the drivers and noticed my display adapter in Device Manager came up as "Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630." Now this screams at me it's onboard graphics which makes me wonder what happened to the GPU this laptop is supposed to be running which according to the specs it should be running an NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 for its GPU. There are other things missing from it like 8 GB of RAM and a 1 TB HDD which assuming the previous owner didn't do any IT work, and the previous owner didn't seem to have any clue how to do such work let alone what sort of environment computer equipment should be in but I digress.

Furthermore the label on the back suggests a similar but different model but searches on the internet take me to the same page regardless so I'm wondering the following:

1. Is it possible that this laptop was cannibalized? There doesn't seem to be any indication the GPU can be removed but I have not opened it up yet to investigate it myself.
    2. Am I dealing with the genuine article and the label is just horribly misprinted or did I possibly get duped about what I bought?
    3. Excluding the missing RAM and 1 TB HDD, could it just be that the GPU is there but it doesn't have the right driver so it's assuming a generic drive even though NVIDIA Experience doesn't seem to detect the GPU?

I got screenshots I can send your way if you want to look more into it so shoot me a DM on Discord. BrianCore#1988.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

GPU's in Laptops can't be taken out, they are soldered to the mainboard.
    Most laptops will use Integrated graphics for menial like web browsing etc, then only kick on the Discrete graphic, in your case, the GTX 1650, when you fire up a game.
    Easiest way to see exactly what is in it, would be to download GeForce Experience, and it will tell you if you have a Nvidia GPU in there.
    Also, to see Ram and Storage, just open up Task Manager, it will tell you how much memory, and what storage devices are installed, under the "Performance" tab

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_MsKuromi View Post
    GPU's in Laptops can't be taken out, they are soldered to the mainboard.
    Most laptops will use Integrated graphics for menial like web browsing etc, then only kick on the Discrete graphic, in your case, the GTX 1650, when you fire up a game.
    Easiest way to see exactly what is in it, would be to download GeForce Experience, and it will tell you if you have a Nvidia GPU in there.
    Also, to see Ram and Storage, just open up Task Manager, it will tell you how much memory, and what storage devices are installed, under the "Performance" tab
    I have attempted to download GeForce Experience and it kicks back that there is no NVIDIA GPU detected which suggests to me the GTX 1650 is NOT present in the laptop.
    I'm already aware of what it has which is not the core issue as the core issue is that the GPU this laptop has apparently is not what it should be which makes me ask what is it really and what laptop I really have.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Whats the model number on the laptop and whats the model number you're supposed to have?

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Neither did I
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Go to your Device Manager (you can search Device Manager on the task bar) and open the "Display Adapters" drop down. This should list all installed adapters regardless of if they are enabled or disabled.
    If the 1650 isn't listed there either the chip is defective or it doesn't exist.
    AOD_SabreSixFour