I took an IQ test and the results were negative RO_Joker's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Very frequent CTDs in WT since installation of Logitech Throttle Quadrant

It almost never crashed since 2019. Since the installatino of the Quadrant it crashes more than every 2nd match and more than once per match, no matter if Air or GF.
    What I already tried:
    I uninstalled drivers and software related to the Quadrant, deleted reg-keys as suggested in another forum, rebooted, installed only Windows drivers, it still crashes.
    Uninstalled again, used USB 2.0 port, reinstalled using Windows drivers only, it stil crashes.
    Even when uninstalling everything related to it and disconnecting the Quadrant, WT still crashes, but not so much. "only" every 3 or 4 matches, but then mostly more than once in the same match (I rejoin the match). Reboot doesn't really help. It seems quite random. The Error in Event Viewer is always similar to this:
    - System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Application Error
    - EventID 1000
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Version 0
    Level 2
    Task 100
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2021-08-24T2200.5416496Z
    EventRecordID 24782
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 0
    [ ThreadID] 0
    Channel Application
    Computer **********
    Security
    - EventData
    aces.exe
    611dbba6
    unknown
    c0000005
    00000225480c00af
    1a48
    01d7992bcb6e58d3
    C:\Legacy\WarThunder\win32\..\win64\aces.exe
    unknown
    85012c90-1af6-4d37-a389-5c3c6de3c5de

There is no corresponding error in system log.

The last thing I tried was to uninstall the Quadrant drivers again and create a new Windows account. At first it seemd solved. No crash for two days. Then I started using Teamspeak and Windows media player in parallel and the CTDs occurred again.
    I never had CTDs before when using WT, Teamspeak and Windows Media Player or VLC media player in parallel.

My system:
    MSI Z77A-GD65 Board Version 2.0, BIOS 2.7
    [email protected] GHz 4 Cores no HT
    16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz - tested with Memtest over night, passed three times error free
    Graphics: Zotac Geforce GTX 670 4GB
    Transcend 512 GB SSD (TS512GSSD370S)

Other things I tried that did not help:
    reinstall WT
    Use ULQ

Has someone an idea, how to stop the CTDs?
    Does someone know how to successfully use the Quadrant?

Many thanks
    Last edited by RO_Joker; 08-25-2021 at 11:23 AM.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Disabling anti-virus didn't help either.
    I think I have to reinstall windows, but don't have the time.
    The crashes are more frequent when Teamspeak is running though.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey man, I know this thread isnt about War Thunder if thats what you are trying to play, but its really useful troubleshooting.
    https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...g-guide/233847

Some things I would like to highlight,
    CTD's are typically caused by memory issues. You mentioned it is a lot worse when you have other applications running, next time you boot everything up, open task manager, and check on your currently memory while everything is running. If it maxes out or hangs out above 95%, I can almost guarantee thats your issue causing the CTD. If it spikes while your already really low on memory, it can cause data and session corruption resulting in a crash. Games will typically close when memory runs out to avoid further damages.
    If it is not memory, keep going through troubleshooting.
    Perform a System File Check
    A lot of times, items in the Registry get corrupted, ensure all of your registry files are good.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you for the link and the memory hint. I'll have a look.
    Meanwhile I did a disk cleanup, chkdsk, dism health check, and inplace upgrade. Almost no benefit.
    I uninstalled the graphics drivers, changed the graphics card and installed the new drivers. For a few days everything seemed fine, now my monitors go blank from time to time, but only when playing WT. The game keeps running, bc I can hear the sounds. Very weird thing.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

bc of the 5 mins edit restriction I have to do another reply:
    Now that I've read the post, I wanna mention that I already disabled any overclocking features from the first build day - I always do that. BIOS is old but the latest. I also disabled XMP during my troubleshooting. Anti-virus exception is made long ago. For toubleshooting I also disabled anti-virus temporarily. No benefit.
    I will check the USB Power saving settings.
    I think that the only thing is a fresh install. Sadly I dont have the time for that. I'd rather play less.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

it may be not related to the quadrant.
    It may have started due to frequent switching between WT and Enlisted and once even running both in parallel by accident.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hey, before you do a hard reset- turn off your PC, load into windows recovery, and load into "Safe Mode with Networking"
    See if the problem persists
    If it does, it is likely nothing to do with external software, such as antivirus and such.
    Next- I would make sure your drivers are all actually compatible with your current soft and hardware.
    I have had it in the past where I installed the newest drivers, only for them to be technically incompatible and making my screen go black every time I load in, or to cut sound or to mess with resolution.

But let me know how it goes with your memory. On my end, it really sounds like your PC is running out of memory mid game.
    Also let me know if doing a Registry scan and patch does anything, sometimes textures, sound, or a single byte of data in game can be corrupted, resulting in the application error 1000 you got.
    After you perform a registry scan, if your running the game through a launcher, see if you can find a file integrity check. Scan the game and check for corrupted files there.

Best of luck, let me know how it goes

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you McShaxx,
    I did health check, diskcheck and sfc.
    My drivers are up to date. The only apps crashing are WT and Enlisted. I uninstalled the latter. I've checked memory and I'm way under 85% as max. value (ram and gpu). I forgot the actual numbers. Teamspeak seems to make the crashes more frequent. Antivirus is not the culprit. I will do a fresh install some day. It seems to be important to let the desktop environment load everything before starting the game. It's quite random. I also suspect the power cabling. Maybe one of the power strips leading to my desk may be faulty, but they are all so well obstructed (a wish my wife had) that re-cabling would take almost as long as a new install. Besides I use a long power strip that is screwed on the wall. The problem with this house is that the cabling is old (early 70s) and there is only one power outlet in this room. My son's computer is running fine though. I will write the outcome but it may take half a year to happen. sorry