I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Suisfonia's Avatar
    Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Default Random Power Cycles issues

This has only happened a couple times so far (well, the 4th time now, happened ten minutes ago) and has happened both before and after I got my new GPU back in April.

I've looked at the event viewer, even had my brother (Cursix) take a look, but nothing really shows up as telling us what the problem is. I don't know if its possible that it's my motherboard (considering the onboard Ethernet ports were bad) or if its my PSU.

I was hoping my motherboard would have a log I could view.

CPU: i9-7900x
    Ram: 64gbs
    GPU: 3090 RTX Ti
    Motherboard: Prime X299-Deluxe

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

This could be a motherboard board or PSU issue. It sounds like your power cycle issue started happening after your GPU upgrade which makes me lean towards 2 things:
    1. Your PSU cannot handle the load your GPU is drawing
    2. You don't have the proper power connectors from the PSU to the GPU connected or fully seated and it's trying to draw all of that power from the PCI-E lanes, which cannot handle that, and it's causing the motherboard to kill power to save itself.

Only way to know for sure is to buy a PSU that can handle the power needs which would be 700 watts 80 plus gold or greater imo. Heck, I'd aim for a 850watt 80 plus gold at the bare minimum for overclocking breathing room and future expansion to add more SSD's or a more powerful GPU in a few years.

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Right now I'm at a 850w 80 plus gold, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a bad idea to juts upgrade that to a 1k. Problem is that in the past when I tried upgrading a PSU I ended up burning out a cable somehow (a 1amp cable) :(

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Does it so it under load or is it just random? Does it just instantly switch off and turn right back on? Also there's no such thing as a 3090ti. Doesn't really make a difference tho.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750

Rank
    Lance Corporal
    Division
    Skull and Bones
    Status
    Active

Whoops, yea I mistyped on that. It's a RTX 3090 FTW3

As far as it cycling, I've monitored the load on my card and it isn't under any hard load. Heck, I ran a benchmark this morning on the GPU while I was out with family for eight hours and it was still running fine when I got home (temps were around 81c-85c, 100% fan speed) and no power cycling. I ran another benchmark on the CPU only two days ago and it was working fine to.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Suisfonia View Post
    Whoops, yea I mistyped on that. It's a RTX 3090 FTW3

As far as it cycling, I've monitored the load on my card and it isn't under any hard load. Heck, I ran a benchmark this morning on the GPU while I was out with family for eight hours and it was still running fine when I got home (temps were around 81c-85c, 100% fan speed) and no power cycling. I ran another benchmark on the CPU only two days ago and it was working fine to.
    Do you get blue screens or does it just flick off and come right back on? If it's the latter could be a short or bad power supply. I had one fail before and it was completely random. Could be 5 minutes of browsing or 8 hours of gaming and it would just flick off and come right back on with no errors. Replaced it and gave it to a buddy who replaced a bad capacitor on it and used it in one of his builds lol.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750