Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default PC keeps shutting down!

Okay so I am at a loss here.

My brothers PC keeps randomly restarting, like powers completely off then turns itself back on. It doesn't matter if he is playing a game or watching a video or even just sitting on the desktop. It also varies when it does it, like he will get a few hours gaming and then the next he just googled within the first 5 mins of a restart. We have tried various Troubleshooting methods including part replacement.

Things we have tried.
    -Changed power supply
    -Changed Motherboard
    -Reseat RAM
    -Taking out one ram stick at a time to see if we have a faulty one(Rebooted still)
    -Switching PCI-lanes on GPU (more on that in a moment)
    -changed CMOS batter
    -Default BIOS settings(no XMP and any other settings to see if that was it)
    -EXTENSIVE thermal monitoring
    -Re pasted CPU
    -Clean Install Windows
    -Changed Outlets just incase
    -COMPLETELY reassembled the Tower numerous times

Parts
    GPU: GTX 1080
    CPU: Intel 8700k
    RAM: 4x8 Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz
    MOBO: ROG Maximus CODE(old) and Some ASUS MOBO for Testing(Brand new bought, just cant think of the model)
    AIO: Corsair 1150i (or something like that)
    PSU: First one Corsair 750 Watt the new one we just bought is an EVGA 750 Watt
    --Idk if im forgetting anything if so let me know

So on the ROG MOBO the POST code kept going between many different ones but kept landing on 7F which from my understanding is a video error but i do not see how that would randomly shut down the pc and then restart itself, maybe loss of video but I guess I could be wrong.

Idk maybe i am missing something Please HELP! also sorry if this is hard to read

MOAR GLUE!!
    Rank
    Sergeant
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Always my first question, how are the temps and airflow?

Do you have a spare gfx card to try or can you try the 1080 in another rig?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alias': Activision: Zeke009#2424731 |

A closed mouth gathers no foot AOD Member AOD_Unforseenhunter's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

It might be possible that the actual wall outlet that you have your computer plugged into might have an actual electrical short in it.

I used to live in a house where the house itself had crappy power outlets and wouldn't even hold the plugs but when I did find an outlet that would hold onto it, I'd be good for a while then all of a sudden whatever device I'd be using, my pc or PS4, it would randomly restart due to a power in-flux.

It all changed when we called for an electrician to fix all the outlets and I no longer had a random restart.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! HollandBud's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

NEW UPDATE!

We swapped GPU's and the 1080 in the other rig did just fine but the system we are working with still had the same issue with the new GPU in.

We verified the wall outlets were fine and just incase setup in my house just in case to rule out his house lol.

So now I am looking back at the CPU and kind of the RAM again, mostly cause He wants to avoid having to get a new CPU if possible.

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_VVoody_87th's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

It seems your done extensive troubleshooting and the only remaining constant is the CPU. This would make sense if your CPU is going bad. It may be some malfunctioning thermal protection.

If it is electrical spikes you may consider getting an uninterruptable power supply (battery backup) that is designed to allow you to save your work and shut down your pc in the event of a power failure but also does a great job of smoothing out electrical spikes. Some systems are more susceptible than others. This is a good thing to have anyway and will protect your PC in the future.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits. Styrgis's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

You could always apply new thermal paste and try it. A good paste will run you about $7.00 USD.

Midwife for sale, $90, can deliver. AOD Member AOD_CampyMcNoob's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

When I read 'random' I run SFC scannow - but if you go into the event viewer it may help narrow down the instability.

I took an IQ test and the results were negative ShaggyFortune's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Based on the description of the problem most likely it is a thermal issue with the CPU.

Honestly if you have not cleaned out the AIO make sure that is done. I suspect it is. You might want to take it apart and check the fluid inside. It might have degraded and clumped up causing either it to plug or jam the pump or block the cpu block. I would proceed with that tear down next.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! AOD Member AOD_Blackb4ss's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

I know im late to the game but i had the same issue on my last computer. It turned out to be a bad power switch on the tower. I ended up unplugging it from the motherboard and using a pair of needle nose pliers to short out the pins if I needed to turn it on and off.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Heh, well, since this thread got bumped, did you ever get it sorted?

Random question: Are you using the cables that came with the respective PSUs? Not mix / match or third-party?

I get enough exercise just pushing my luck AOD Member AOD_Weakness's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Tymplar View Post
    Heh, well, since this thread got bumped, did you ever get it sorted?

Random question: Are you using the cables that came with the respective PSUs? Not mix / match or third-party?
    Tymplar is onto something. I've had extension cables attached between power supply to gpu/motherboard that were inferior quality and caused random crashes and reboots. Remove them if this is the case to retest. Otherwise, are you sure there is no hotspot on the CPU? I have an 8600 with a bad 4th core that would not hit 5gHz and cause crashes. Maybe try delidding and reassemble.