If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_BrianCore's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Default Rebuilding my PC questions

My PC has been having problems and I cannot tolerate it anymore. I have the parts ordered and I am replacing the motherboard, CPU, and RAM to hopefully cure my headaches once and for all. I intend on keeping the drives, GPU (ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB onboard ram), and PSU as I do not believe they are causing my problems but they will be replaced sooner or later.

My questions are, will there be any issues I can anticipate from swapping out essentially the brain of my PC? Should I clean install/factory reset my PC before swapping the parts? Does the CPU I'm getting really require water cooling?

The parts going in
    Motherboard: https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-stri...82E16813119512

CPU: https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i9...82E16819118339

RAM: https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-...82E16820236828

#Hainzy's Cat

Rank
    Master Sergeant
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

I would do a fresh install of Windows when you swap out motherboards and CPU. Just to keep things clean and with the right drivers :) The 12900K does tend to run hot. I personally like AIOs but if you dont want to go that route you will need a beefy air cooler. I would recommend something like:
    Air Cooling: https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-dark...9SIA68V6Y56870
    AIO: https://www.newegg.com/ekwb-liquid-c...-240mm|aio-_-1

Keep in mind with an AIO you will need a case that supports the mounting of a radiator :)

If you have any other questions feel free to come and find me in TS
    I can't feel my fingers.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

I hope I can continue using the case I have. Its form factor is ATX as is the motherboard I have and I am getting. I skipped on the water cooling because I believed they still shipped heatsink and fans with the CPUs and it would only have to last for a few days at least until the following week's Friday at most depending on how much I got paid. The parts are predicted to arrive Aug 3rd.

Thank you though for the insight though. I did do a recent factory reset to see if it would alleviate my current problems but it did nothing so I can clean install with no problems.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Alright so I got some of the new parts but I'd appreciate some second opinions.

Should I focus on getting the remaining parts I need (which is a new case, water cooling for the CPU since that bitch runs hot, one m.2 storage stick and the necessary case fans to maintain air flow equilibrium) or should I try going whole hog? I'll be transferring my GPU from my old build since its still good and can hold its own for now.

Picture with the new parts
    https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...803_165103.jpg

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

You can control the 12900k a lot easier if you enforce pl1 and pl2 power states. You can bring it down by about 50 watts and lose almost zero performance or bring it down even more and you'll only lose heavy workload performance while keeping gaming performance similar. Here is a detailed review of what I'm talking about.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/i...-power-limits/
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750

I took an IQ test and the results were negative AOD Member AOD_FatCat's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Just curious, what kind of problems where you having that decided to change those items only?

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_FatCat View Post
    Just curious, what kind of problems where you having that decided to change those items only?
    CPU and RAM are maxing out on Destiny 2, leading to low framerates even on potato settings. I believe the motherboard has bad capacitors which is delaying the computer starting up. I've clocked five minutes to start up after pressing the power button and I did ask whats up with that before on a previous thread in this subforum. Consensus there was the motherboard.

So if I wanted to upgrade my CPU and RAM I was going to need a new motherboard anyway as I had already grabbed the best CPU for that board LGA 1150 or 1200 I think was the socket.

Now I'm convinced I should just do a new build and salvage what pieces I can use in the new build which is my PSU and GPU.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BrianCore View Post
    CPU and RAM are maxing out on Destiny 2, leading to low framerates even on potato settings. I believe the motherboard has bad capacitors which is delaying the computer starting up. I've clocked five minutes to start up after pressing the power button and I did ask whats up with that before on a previous thread in this subforum. Consensus there was the motherboard.

So if I wanted to upgrade my CPU and RAM I was going to need a new motherboard anyway as I had already grabbed the best CPU for that board LGA 1150 or 1200 I think was the socket.

Now I'm convinced I should just do a new build and salvage what pieces I can use in the new build which is my PSU and GPU.
    I mean to me who's been building and troubleshooting for 15+ years saying it's the motherboard because of slow boot sounds like a stretch. At this point you already have the new stuff tho. I've seen bad drives cause slow boots. Not even the OS drive but a drive that was slow to respond when the bios tried to "check in" with it on start up.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Make sure when you purchase a cooler you get something with a convex cold plate. NH-D15 for example has a flat cold plate and doesn't make solid contact with 12th gen because of how to lga1700 socket slightly bends the chip. Asetek based AIOs work well. I'm using the x63 from nzxt on my 12700k and it handles it very well.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Destiny 2
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_HOODedDutchman View Post
    Make sure when you purchase a cooler you get something with a convex cold plate. NH-D15 for example has a flat cold plate and doesn't make solid contact with 12th gen because of how to lga1700 socket slightly bends the chip. Asetek based AIOs work well. I'm using the x63 from nzxt on my 12700k and it handles it very well.
    I'll have to check into the better coolers at a later time. I know my local Best Buy has a CORSAIR - iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX CPU Cooler in stock but I have plenty of time between now and payday on Friday this week to look around. If anyone knows what is THE BEST cooler for the 12900k I welcome all the input. I hear the 12900k runs hot and needs a damn good cooler to take full advantage of it's capability.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_BrianCore View Post
    I'll have to check into the better coolers at a later time. I know my local Best Buy has a CORSAIR - iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX CPU Cooler in stock but I have plenty of time between now and payday on Friday this week to look around. If anyone knows what is THE BEST cooler for the 12900k I welcome all the input. I hear the 12900k runs hot and needs a damn good cooler to take full advantage of it's capability.
    I would not take the risk on the h150i. The oem is coolit and I believe they have a flat contact plate. I believe asus, nzxt, fractal design, phanteks use asetek as their oem and all have convex cold plates. Also heads up 360mm aio do not perform any better than 280mm aio as they have very close surface area. If you want an air cooler tha dark rock pro 4 has a convex cold plate as well. Any cooler you get you'll have to look up the manufacturing date they started including lga 1700 mounting kits to make sure it comes with one. My nzxt x63 didn't and I had to wait a few weeks for nzxt to send it to me. I am in Canada tho. Likely if you're in the US it would only take a few days. Phanteks glacier one, fractal lumen, nzxt x or z series are all top tier AIOs. The phanteks has the cleanest aesthetic imo. Nzxt you have to use cam software to control pump speed or it defaults to quiet mode. The choice is yours lol.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

whenever you upgrade cpu,motherboard, etc (stuff with drivers) it is always nice to have a clean install of OS/drivers. never know if you have conflicting stuff in the background causing issues