Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default 13th Gen Intel - DDR4 vs. DDR5

Has anyone put together a new build based on Intel's 13th gen chips? I've been reading about how there seems to be some issues around when going with newer DDR5 vs. DDR4.

I actually grabbed the DDR4 version of an ASUS motherboard by mistake, and before returning / swapping, I did some digging and found that unless you have the most expensive DDR5 RAM available, that it's better to stick with DDR4 from a price to performance aspect.

Any real-world experiences from my fellow AOD members?

Keep honking. I'm reloading AOD Member AOD_Sineira's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Yes I just built one. I used medium/low end DDR5 due to price/performance and the ability to upgrade to better RAM later. Even the low end DDR5 beats high end DDR4.
    No issues whatsoever. I did decide to go with a Z690 motherboard to avoid using a brand new untested one. No huge benefits for me anyway with Z790.
    To get the Motherboard to recognize the RAM I had to flash a newer BIOS via the USB BIOS port. This is very easy to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IstA56IAeVA

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Look at hardware unboxed recent reviews of 13th gen. Most show ddr4 and ddr5 in games. Ddr5 4800 is roughly on par with ddr4 3600. Ddr5 6000+ smokes ddr4 unless you heavily tune b-die ddr4. Which ends up costing as much as some good hynix ddr5 which is also very tunable. Basically if you could push ddr4 on 12th or 13th gen past 4000 you'd be able to get some insane results but you have to run the memory controller in gear 2 to get over around 4000 which increases latency dramatically vs gear 1. Basically unless you're willing to go ddr4 and tune the crap out of it just to be on par with mid range ddr5 that costs the same go with ddr5.
    Last edited by AOD_HOODedDutchman; 12-01-2022 at 05:47 AM.
    13700K // MSI Z790I EDGE
    NZXT Kraken X63 // 32gb HyperX 6000c40 @ 6600c34
    AData XPG Gammix S70 Blade 2tb
    MSI RTX 4080 Ventus OC // Alienware AW2725DF
    SSUPD Meshlicious // Corsair SF750