Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Laptop recommendation

Hello everyone!

I'm in the market for a new laptop and I'm hoping to get some advice from fellow Clanaod members. I need a laptop that can handle business tasks, such as word processing and email, but also has the ability to run games smoothly. I'm looking for something that can handle games with higher graphics requirements, such as Skyrim and the Witcher 3.

I'm not really sure what specs to look for, but I've been told that a dedicated graphics card is a must for gaming. I also want a decent amount of storage, at least 512 GB, and a decent battery life. Portability isn't really an issue, as I don't plan on traveling with it too often.

I'm willing to spend up to $2000 on this laptop, but I would prefer to stay below that if possible. I've been looking at some options online, but there are so many to choose from that it's hard to know which one is the best for my needs.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a laptop that would fit my requirements? Or any advice on what specs I should be looking for when shopping for a business/gaming laptop? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

It's not a dad bod, it's a father figure! AOD Member AOD_hawkinson's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

I find recommending laptops very difficult because they are locked into what you get. There are no upgrade paths. Some come with the option to hook up an eGPU via Thunderbolt, but that's expensive, and the GPU is the most overpriced part of computers these days. Going right up against your budget in USD, I found this: and its everything on your checklist. You can find a comparable model for almost every other brand/manufacturer. It's got an i9 1300 and a 40 series GeForce card, so it's all the latest tech you can get at the price point. A terabyte is a fair amount of space, though I'd rather have 2tb-4 TB's myself. 16GB of RAM is pretty standard, I'd prefer 32 or 64 for the number of browser tabs I have open, but most games do fine on 16, especially if you aren't trying to do 2-3 things at a time between rounds or what have you. Battery life on gaming laptops will always be bad. They have too much power. Off the cord, you'll get 1-2 hours on most of them. And you'll likely need to replace the battery if you keep it long-term.

I like my Acer Predator quite a bit. I could open it up, throw in a spare drive, and double my capacity with the parts included in the box. If I'm lucky, the battery looks easy enough to replace since I'm down to 30 minutes off the cord. The downside is the board won't accept more RAM, so I am capped at 16GB.

If you have a brand with which you have had a good customer service experience multiple times, pick that brand's laptop. Otherwise, in my experience, they're all virtually the same.

Recently I've been very fond of MSI products and customer support. I have been very disappointed by Gigabyte and will avoid their products in the future.

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! AOD Member AOD_LTCaveman's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

I second a recommendation for MSI;

I've been using their products for -YEARS- I've yet to have any failures.
    Before I recommend a specific model there are some questions I have

1) $2,000.00 USD, CAD or some other currency?
    2) 15" or 17" screen?
    3) Amount of USB ports you need? (Or will some Type-C + a USB Hub work for you?)

Feel free to answer these here or if you'd like to poke me in discord I'm Rafiki#1337
    I look forward to seeing your response :)

Knee High to a Worms Ass sidneymoore's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Personally, I'd go with ASUS. In my personal experience and when I did a bit of research yesterday, ASUS came out on top in the sub $300 range.

The recommendations I made were for general use in an office. Doing spreadsheets, web browsing, email, etc. They're low blue light monitors, so they cause less eye strain.

If you needed high color accuracy for video or photo editing, graphic design, or similar, that's a whole other ballgame.

But if you are still confused on what to buy then you should consider these resources

https://sturdybusiness.com/best-busi...ors-under-200/
    https://www.gadgetreview.com/best-asus-monitor
    https://www.amazon.com/Monitors-Leno...Cp_89%3ALenovo

Also, I own what's basically the older version of that 27" monitor I recommended... going on near 5 years now.

Knee High to a Worms Ass sidneymoore's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by sidneymoore View Post
    Personally, I'd go with ASUS. In my personal experience and when I did a bit of research yesterday, ASUS came out on top in the sub $300 range.

The recommendations I made were for general use in an office. Doing spreadsheets, web browsing, email, etc. They're low blue light monitors, so they cause less eye strain.

If you needed high color accuracy for video or photo editing, graphic design, or similar, that's a whole other ballgame.

But if you are still confused on what to buy then you should consider these resources

https://sturdybusiness.com/best-busi...ors-under-200/
    https://www.gadgetreview.com/best-asus-monitor
    https://www.amazon.com/Monitors-Leno...Cp_89%3ALenovo

Also, I own what's basically the older version of that 27" monitor I recommended... going on near 5 years now.
    However, for laptops, you should get Acer or Lenovo laptops, which are ideal for both gaming and professional purposes. However, I would recommend that you purchase a monitor, which is even more suitable for both duties.

The Oreos are fake AOD Member AOD_IRON FiNN's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

i like nitro.

think about what you need instead of what you want?

you need a 1080p design. airflow design. modern videocard vs last years.

All my toys are broken and So am I inside, mom.The carnival has closed Years ago AOD Member AOD_Tranquillo's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...computer-black

3080 r9 and 16gb of ram for $1400.
    Asus laptops run hot so you'll need a cooling pad (I've had 2 asus laptops before)
    Asus makes crap desktops but their laptops are top notch.
    You also have wiggle room in the budget to upgrade the ram and put another m.2 in there.

However:

$200 more
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/...g444-gaming-pc

4070, 32 gb ram

3080 laptop is ranked 33rd in toms and the 4070 is ranked 12th best.

It's not a dad bod, it's a father figure! AOD Member AOD_hawkinson's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Will microcenter ship? I don't recall why but I have the impression they only do in-store sales.

All my toys are broken and So am I inside, mom.The carnival has closed Years ago AOD Member AOD_Tranquillo's Avatar
    Rank
    Corporal
    Division
    Diablo
    Status
    Active

Some stupid law says they can only ship to the 50 states. They can't even ship to us territories like p.r. or guam. All that stuff comes from china anyways, annoying.