Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Default Terrible Performance?

Hey all,

I'm having issues with my build and running MW3 at a stable frame rate. Does anyone know of a program or guide that I can use to start hunting down my bottlenecks, wasted resources, or other issues? The recommended specs are so far below my PC that I just feel dumb.

I am at stock clocks because overclocking got weird with P and E cores when I used to be able to set a number and test and have a stable OC, and afterburner says I shouldn't try to OC my GPU.

With Rebar enabled, I can get 15-115 FPS. With Rebar off, I can get 29-30.

Here is the build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor ($209.98 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($81.61 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($200.49 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel 660p 1.02 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($75.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Silicon Power XS70 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($145.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate ST2000DM002 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Storage: Seagate ST2000DM002 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Zotac GAMING AMP Holo GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($959.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: Thermaltake View 51 Snow ARGB Edition ATX Full Tower Case ($199.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 850 BQ 850 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($110.99 @ Amazon)
    Keyboard: Asus ROG CLAYMORE II RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless Optical Mouse ($106.99 @ Best Buy)
    Headphones: SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro Wireless for PC, PS5, and PS4 Headset ($295.99 @ Amazon)
    Speakers: Creative Labs Pebble 2.0 4.4 W Speakers ($18.99 @ Lenovo)
    Total: $2860.98
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-23 12:43 EST-0500

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Is that there a SHOTGUN?
    Rank
    First Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

First things I'd check is if XMP is turned on in the Bios. Its not by default when you build a system and your ram will be throttled to like 66% of its max speed. What temps are you pushing on your GPU Oc'd vs not OC'd. Also might be minor but make sure MW3 is on an NVME drive. I have the exact same processor and a 3080 non-ti, but its watercooled

I've got 99 Parabolas, but a Limpet ain't one
    Let's get back to Battlefield

It's not a dad bod, it's a father figure! AOD Member AOD_hawkinson's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_235Nuke View Post
    First things I'd check is if XMP is turned on in the Bios. Its not by default when you build a system and your ram will be throttled to like 66% of its max speed. What temps are you pushing on your GPU Oc'd vs not OC'd. Also might be minor but make sure MW3 is on an NVME drive. I have the exact same processor and a 3080 non-ti, but its watercooled
    Thanks! I read about that being a possible issue and need to shut it down tonight to try. I'd fuss more, but I only play CoD consistently, so what's the point if it isn't compatible? CoD is on NVME one for the best speeds. GPU is non-OC'd because the OC scanners told me I better not try it. I did set it so it could pull more power if it wanted to up until the mid-80s temp-wise, but it rarely goes past 70 under full load, which it pretty much always is under full load. MP runs pretty well. Especially bringing the resolution down to 1080. MWZ runs like a dying animal.

I have all the settings optimized for frames and none of the fluff like RTX because, lol, the 30 series can't ray-trace new games. I figured I could pull 1440p60. I didn't check my frames in MP because it only once had issues. After reading a Reddit post, I also found the crash reports, so I burned the MSI apps out of my system since they crashed and killed CoD multiple times. Based on those logs, it's hard to tell what the issue is because various failures are logged, including some core Windows components.

Is that there a SHOTGUN?
    Rank
    First Sergeant
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Turn DLSS on if it’s not and use balanced or performance as the setting choice. Ray tracing is crap so yea turn that part off. Also if NVidia reflex low latency is available in game turn it on.

I've got 99 Parabolas, but a Limpet ain't one
    Let's get back to Battlefield

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

So, unscientifically, I dropped NVIDIA Latency Boost and my RAM OC simultaneously because why would I want to isolate my issue concretely. Regardless, I am at a stable 40 FPS low in MWZ and 80+ lows in MP on all maps minus Terminal. Terminal kills my FPS before and after. I made some outstanding progress. I will have to try turning on DLSS. That's frame generation correct? At this point, I think I need to drop my purist attitude because my eyes are trash anyway. Though tearing is easy to spot in other games, I haven't seen it yet in CoD.

Also, Sonar turned on Moments/game clipping, costing me frames. I love the thing for audio but am not so fond of it clipping me getting wrekt at 20 fps.

Many thanks for the assistance. Hopefully DLSS will give me a lock on that 1440p60.

Only a sith deals in absolutes. AOD Member AOD_Guille92h's Avatar
    Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

12th gen hybrid intel cpu is a downgrade for gaming compared to 11th gen, they had a lot of latency and weren't optimized well, i had a 12700 and got worse stability on frametimes than with a 3700x, changed to 13700k and it was night and day, 13700k is much more stable for gaming as it was better optimized by intel and have lower latency between cores. Also if you're running auto clocks on the cpu make sure you have the TAU power limit turned off as that lowers clocks after a set period of time of the 2 main cores being used. I have that exact cpu cooler and run all cpu power limits off no problem with about 60º C when gaming, on AVX stress test would get to 95º C but that's not a real scenerio and turn off motherboard cpu enhancements which many times push the cpu till thermal throttling.

Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Call of Duty
    Status
    Active

Icon14

Awesome tips! I didn't know about the processor being a bit of a shitter of the two I could have grabbed. Teach me for just grabbing the cheaper one. I'll have to consider getting a 13700.

I think I came from an i5 8th gen processor which couldn't keep up with the 1080 Ti and then the 1080 Ti couldn't keep pace with the 12700kf and now the KF cant keep up with the 3080 Ti. The cycle is perfect and never ending. I was also looking at trying to get an OC on this thing but it doesn't seem to be as easy as just setting an all core multiplier and rocking it. That or I haven't done a proper OC before. That is very likely too. I used to feel like I knew what I was doing.

I feel like COD is also part of the problem since I can play 2042 with no issues.

Hello Sunshine AOD Member AOD_Sunwheel's Avatar
    Rank
    Private
    Division
    PlanetSide
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Guille92h View Post
    12th gen hybrid intel cpu is a downgrade for gaming compared to 11th gen, they had a lot of latency and weren't optimized well, i had a 12700 and got worse stability on frametimes than with a 3700x, changed to 13700k and it was night and day, 13700k is much more stable for gaming as it was better optimized by intel and have lower latency between cores. Also if you're running auto clocks on the cpu make sure you have the TAU power limit turned off as that lowers clocks after a set period of time of the 2 main cores being used. I have that exact cpu cooler and run all cpu power limits off no problem with about 60º C when gaming, on AVX stress test would get to 95º C but that's not a real scenerio and turn off motherboard cpu enhancements which many times push the cpu till thermal throttling.
    Had no idea about any of that, so thank you for posting.
    Intel 13700K @ 5.4GHz; Zotac RTX 4080; 32GB RAM @ 4400MHz 20-28-28-48
    1 TB 990 NVMe, 500 GB 980 NVMe, 500 GB 850 & 860 EVOs; EVGA 750W Gold PS
    Dell S2721DGF @ 165Hz IPS (x2)
    Pulsar X2V2 Mini on Artisan Zero FX Soft XL
    Ducky One 3 SF 65% keyboard with pre-lubed Black switches

Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Is funny how little things can change a lot, on Helldivers 2 which is cpu intensive for being a game my cpu gets up to 74-80 C, instead in other games that use less of the cpu my cpu is around 60 celsius, as i said my cpu was at 60 C with the 280mm aio i wanted to say this to not mislead because i hadn't tried a game that heat up so much my cpu, most are more gpu intensive than cpu, but probs newer games push more the cpu.

Also i recently replaced the 16 gb of DDR5 5600 cl40 i had bought when i built this PC as DDR5 was more expensive at the time for 64 gb 6000 CL30, and i noticed my cpu temps have gone up a couple celsius in some games as it can be used more with the faster ram. I installed this ram because i use 240hz 1080p monitor, most people probs won't notice the difference on ram speed since the lower the framerate the less noticeable small % improvements will be. And i do notice a lot going from a regular 144 hz monitor to a low response time and 240 hz monitor in the few games i can uralize the 240 hz though.
    Last edited by AOD_Guille92h; 03-25-2024 at 08:24 AM.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

12th gen is absolutely not a downgrade from 11th gen lol. Might be a bit more latency but disabling ecores completely resolves it. Even without disabling ecores 12th gen destroys 13th gen. My 12700k was running 200+ fps at 1440p on low settings in cod. There's something very wrong going on with your system. I'm not sure what it is but you've got a beast of a build and people acting like it's just normal and you've just got bad parts is nothing short of astronomically wrong.
    Last edited by AOD_HOODedDutchman; 03-25-2024 at 04:49 PM.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes AOD Member AOD_HOODedDutchman's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    Battlefield
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Guille92h View Post
    Is funny how little things can change a lot, on Helldivers 2 which is cpu intensive for being a game my cpu gets up to 74-80 C, instead in other games that use less of the cpu my cpu is around 60 celsius, as i said my cpu was at 60 C with the 280mm aio i wanted to say this to not mislead because i hadn't tried a game that heat up so much my cpu, most are more gpu intensive than cpu, but probs newer games push more the cpu.

Also i recently replaced the 16 gb of DDR5 5600 cl40 i had bought when i built this PC as DDR5 was more expensive at the time for 64 gb 6000 CL30, and i noticed my cpu temps have gone up a couple celsius in some games as it can be used more with the faster ram. I installed this ram because i use 240hz 1080p monitor, most people probs won't notice the difference on ram speed since the lower the framerate the less noticeable small % improvements will be. And i do notice a lot going from a regular 144 hz monitor to a low response time and 240 hz monitor in the few games i can uralize the 240 hz though.
    Your cpu is likely running hotter because imc voltage is higher to stabilize the higher speed and size of your new ram. Unless your old ram was only a single stick. If it was a single 16gb stick instead of 2x8gb it was likely heavily bottlenecking.

Rank
    Cadet
    Division
    Helldivers
    Status
    Active

Oh, yeah maybe i overeacted and seemed i was saying the 12700k is a bad cpu, my fault, although it doesn't destroy the 13th series on anything, the 11th gen may have lower max fps and a bit lower average than the 12700k but has much more stable framerate on games whenever the pc is not doing too many things at once. I have used those 3 gens, the 11th gen not on my pc on pc i built for someone else but i tested it on benchmarks and on games i play. The 13th series on maximum fps is barely better than the 12th gen but on average is up to 10% better since the frametime is much more stable and 1% lows is even over 10% better in some scenarios. But 12th gen still really good as you can do many things and not have to worry for the game noticing it. Probably as you said disabling e-cores makes it as smooth as the 13th gen but then might as well not buy a hybrid cpu, but that's my theory but if somone doesn't want Ryzen and doesn't do many things on the pc at the same time then yeah disabling e-cores is a good thing, i'm also very bitchy when it comes to framedrops i cannot stant them.

I had 2x8gb, no way i would've put only one stick for gaming, The 8 gb sticks on DDR5 are single sided, instead 32 gb sticks are always double sided and probs also what you said that is putting more voltage on the memory controller to stabilize it with the bigger and faster ram.