Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue HELLRAPTOR's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default Cool Game Tool TrackIR

Just got my TrackIR in today and have to say I like it. Take a little bit to get used to at first but still cool and even makes the game play more fun. I am using it for War Thunder at the moment. For those who don't know, TrackIR uses your head movements to control the view in the game just like your use your head to turn to look at something or look around you. Here is a old video that explains how this works.

If you would like to get this product and use it for your game/s. Then here is the link....

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

I am not making any money off of this or anything... Just thought that this was really cool tool to have and thought to share it with the AOD members. Also note that if you do want to buy this... make sure it supports the game you want to play it with. Also check youtube videos on TrackIR for the game you are wanting to play as well.

Enjoy guys

If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! RangerVudoo's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I know people who use it in ArmA and it's so cool, I want to get one but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

I use this every time I play. TrackIR takes about 20 minutes to get used to, then you will never play without it.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Just got one of these TrackIR 5s delivered - can't wait to try it out in a few hours (WarThunder).
    Will post up my thoughts for you all.

Apologies for necro, but thought better than starting a new thread.

Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Wow, just wow!

However...
    Extremely easy set up although the camera itself does feel a little flimsy, I don't dare even think what would happen if it fell :S
    The headset attachments are also what I would consider to be fragile, not entirely what I would expect for £170.

The IR5 (complete pack) comes with two styles of tracking options.
    1) A 3 pronged LED clip on system that sits on either the left or right of your headset. This I found gave the best results for my seating position. Downside though is that it needs to be jacked into a USB hub, so along with my wired headset it gets a bit messy.
    2) A clip on (bend-able) clip that will either attach to a cap or like I did, to the top of your headset. I found this made the readings/calibration too high (as in height position) and I couldn't position the camera at the correct angle. It did perform well and no sodding wires with this option. Disadvantage though was positioning and it didn't function in low/high light very well. One other small disadvantage was the girlfriend spat out a mouthful of tea when she saw the prongs poking out of my head :). Does make you look a bit of a dick.

The software is very simple. Just click which style of kit you are wearing, get comfortable and press F12 and instantly centred up. A real bonus is whilst in game, if you shift your natural position, a press of F12 will instantly recalibrate :).

Now for the WOW!
    What a difference. Took me 20mins to get used to it but after that I was away and completely agree with reviews I have seen that you will never go back. The total freedom is so immersive. Took a test flight then into my first SB. 2 kills!!
    Transitions (in WarThunder) are very smooth, there is no jerking at all.
    The lean function is especially handy to peer around struts of the canopy :)

You can (within the software) deselect certain functions too. Such as zoom (moving head towards screen) which I have almost decided to do as a right click gives me an easier result.

Yes it is early days but I am very pleased thus far. It IS expensive for what it is and I am yet to try any other games (titanfall eg) but the results are so very, very good.

Anyone got questions, just ask away.

Thanks all

Tom