If I'm not back in 5....wait longer! SE7EN's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Default What Bullet Types Are The Best For Fighters And For Bombers

I'm Currently Using Universal On My Fighters And Air Targets On My Bombers... What Should I Use...?

Danneskjold Repossessions. AOD Member AOD_Danneskjold's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

http://www.clanaod.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68428 Talks about various bullet types. It's far more complicated than just using universal belts.

"Every day is a beautiful day" Elwood P. Dowd AOD Member AOD_PapaPnut's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    World of Warships
    Status
    Active

Great thread. Went through and adjusted all my racks, I had pretty much been blindly selecting Universal. Two questions:

1) Do the "recommendations" apply to Bomber Turret racks as well

2) Re: Tracer shells. The description seems to imply they are for visuals only and don't actually do any damage. So in the Tracer rack of say the Mustang Mk 1A that says AP/T/HEF-I Does that mean that 1/3 of your ammunition incapable of doing damage??

Danneskjold Repossessions. AOD Member AOD_Danneskjold's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

A pure T round is a ball round (meaning just jacketed lead), with a tracer element either on, or in the tail of the bullet. It does damage, but isn't an AP round, nor an HE round, nor an I round.

Usually if I see pure "T" rounds, I pick another belt.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Blankwindow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_Danneskjold View Post
    A pure T round is a ball round (meaning just jacketed lead), with a tracer element either on, or in the tail of the bullet. It does damage, but isn't an AP round, nor an HE round, nor an I round.

Usually if I see pure "T" rounds, I pick another belt.

Yeah Japs (20mm cannons, belt is all HEFI and HEFI-T if I recall correctly) and Brits (30 cal mg, 100% IT rounds) are the only nations you really might ever consider running pure trace belts for.

as to bombers I tend to grab the belt with the most API\APIT rounds (armor pierce incendiary tracer) failing that the belt with the most APT.

because with a bomber you are typically firing at the engine block of an enemy fighter, so you want armor pierce to pierce the engine block and incendiary to catch fuel\oil on fire.

the exception being the 20mm turrets the japs get on bombers, run the same belt as you would in a zero which is typically the tracer belt for me.

Knee High to a Worms Ass deathbycrying's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

cool that helps to know what to use on my bomber

Knee High to a Worms Ass SuperPignouf's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Hi,

You should take a quick look at that video from Entak about different shells types: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkZvSTm0lGw
    It is a bit outdated but it helped me quiete a bit. Below is what I use for my fighters for different nations with good results. The general principle is that I tend to maximize armor piercing shells for low calibers and High explosive shells for higher calibers.

US: 12.7mm = tracer shells (you get 100% of armor piercing and incendiary !)
    20mm = stealth (75% High explosive fragmentation incendiary shells)

Ger= 7.7 and 13mm = tracers (100% APT)
    20 = air targer (66% HEI)
    30 = stealth

Ru = 7.7 tracers
    20 = tracers

Brit = stealth everywhere, it has the higher proportion of AP for low caliber and high explosive for higher caliber

Jap = stealth for 7.7, tracers for 12 and 20

This works pretty well for me though I'm open to remarks and advices.

Save your breath. You'll need it to blow up your date! AOD Member AOD_Blankwindow's Avatar
    Rank
    Private First Class
    Division
    War Thunder
    Status
    Active

Quote Originally Posted by AOD_SuperPignouf View Post
    Hi,

You should take a quick look at that video from Entak about different shells types: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkZvSTm0lGw
    It is a bit outdated but it helped me quiete a bit. Below is what I use for my fighters for different nations with good results. The general principle is that I tend to maximize armor piercing shells for low calibers and High explosive shells for higher calibers.

US: 12.7mm = tracer shells (you get 100% of armor piercing and incendiary !)
    20mm = stealth (75% High explosive fragmentation incendiary shells)

Ger= 7.7 and 13mm = tracers (100% APT)
    20 = air targer (66% HEI)
    30 = stealth

Ru = 7.7 tracers
    20 = tracers

Brit = stealth everywhere, it has the higher proportion of AP for low caliber and high explosive for higher caliber

Jap = stealth for 7.7, tracers for 12 and 20

This works pretty well for me though I'm open to remarks and advices.
    Personally i tend to go stealth belts on every plane in every nation except for jap 20mm. which is always tracer. and with brits 30 calls its tracer in RB, stealth in Arc for me. full belt of IT will rip anything to shreads in RB. and usually burn baby bury.

yesterday p38 had been b & z me over and over while I was dog fighting against two clan wing map. So finally kills them (2 on 1 and they missed their several opportunitys to kill me.) and turn in to the p38s dive. he rolls away and alls I have left is the tracer mg in my 30 cals on my spit mk2. catch his left wing on fire, and it just rolls across his whole plane on its own. landed maybe 50-75 mg right near his engine and the result was whole plane on fire. that is results.