Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! FlameShotz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Geekout Suggestons on this build?

So I'm building my first computer and I want to be able to get good fps on Arma III and Dayz Standalone. I'm a little over budget and need some suggestions on if I can cut down on some parts. I'm not looking for an overkill computer for my first build. Thanks for anybody who can help me out a little!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.23 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Antec GX500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $781.17
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-22 16:33 EDT-0400)

Can I have your Tots Carcinognic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Your motherboard uses the B85 chipset which doesn't allow for overclocking of the processor. So getting the K(unlocked) version of an Intel processor is a waste of money. Stepping down to the 4670 would save you at least $15. If you take a step down to the 4570, its only $192. You could also change your RAM to this. That's another $13. Hope that helps.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! FlameShotz's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

Thank you, I stepped down to the 4570 because I do not look to overclock and it fits my budget better. Thanks for the help!

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! ghost_03's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

That's a pretty solid build. How much are you over-budget by?

The two obvious places to save more are CPU and GPU, but you wouldn't necessarily be doing yourself any favors as saving money there means having to upgrade sooner. And you're definitely in the sweet spot for price/performance.

Another way to save money is to keep your eye out on price watching sites like slickdeals or the "hot deals" forum over on anandtech. If you have the patience to get parts one by one and not all at once you can probably find, e.g., rebate deals on those (or similar) parts.

Boycott shampoo! Demand the REAL poo! Symthic's Avatar
    Rank
    Forum Member
    Division
    None
    Status
    Active

If you switch to AMD, then your build will be much cheaper as opposed to an Intel build, but the AMD build will be slower. However, CPU's are not the main bottleneck for most games and you won't feel a difference in performance in AMD vs. Intel. To give an example of this, I currently have an AMD Phenom II 965 BE, which was considered a low to medium budget CPU whenever I bought my computer (about 4 years ago) and the only game where my CPU is the bottleneck instead of my GPU is PlanetSide 2. Other than that, it seems like you've done your research and you can't really save that much money unless you switch to AMD or downgrade your GPU.